Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Seminary Info
I panicked and took dd out of seminary
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Glitter

Post Mon, Oct 16 2023, 9:58 am
My child is still there but bored and sad that their closest friends went home.

Iymnok

Post Mon, Oct 16 2023, 10:00 am
Last I heard, girls can leave the sem as long as they stay in the neighborhood.

amother
Clover

Post Mon, Oct 16 2023, 11:16 am
Iymnok wrote:
Last I heard, girls can leave the sem as long as they stay in the neighborhood.

As of today (after the sirens in Yerushalayim) DD's seminary is telling them to stay indoors unless they need to go somewhere. They're not restricting them to indoors completely; DD did go up the block to my niece just to air out, but they're telling the girls that if they do leave the grounds they should take care of what they need and come right back.

amother
Buttercup

Post Mon, Oct 16 2023, 11:17 am
Elfrida wrote:
We are in a waiting period before the ground invasion. The south is still getting rockets on a more than daily basis. The north is very uncertain. For now it is quieter around Jerusalem. We can't count on it lasting.

Correct, but to say things are worse now is incorrect.

tichellady

Post Mon, Oct 16 2023, 11:48 am
I don’t think her feelings of being bored should be relevant here. If she wants to not be bored, I’m sure there are plenty of volunteer or paid opportunities right now she can do. It’s normal for her to have a hard time being home right now, but that doesn’t mean you should send her back. To be clear, I’m not saying people should or shouldn’t stay in seminary right now but that I don’t think boredom should be the deciding factor

amother
Papaya

Post Mon, Oct 16 2023, 12:37 pm
amother Buttercup wrote:
The situation is not worsening, or at least not yet. Davka it has calmed down, relatively speaking. We are still cleaning up from the massacre and ID'ing bodies and notifying families.But the rockets have slowed, the terrorists within Israel have mostly been caught, and life is slowly going back to normal.

Please tell me where you see that it is worse. Because there are rockets on the northern border? That's not unusual, unfortunately. If OP's DD was in seminary in the center of the country she should be fine.

Will it get worse later? I don't claim to be a prophet. But as of now, it's not worse.

Your reply seems a bit naive.
Life is only going back to normal because people need normalcy. Not because things have gotten better yet.

amother
Daisy

Post Mon, Oct 16 2023, 12:50 pm
Where are u located? If your in the five towns/far rockaway area the amount of chesed opportunities are unbelievable. Let me know and I’ll try to help

amother
Sapphire

Post Mon, Oct 16 2023, 12:52 pm
It depends if it was a unilateral decision. Did she want to stay and you forced her to come home? If so, she should have a say in the matter. (Maybe she should have had a say in the matter before. After all, she is an adult.)

amother
Buttercup

Post Mon, Oct 16 2023, 12:59 pm
amother Papaya wrote:
Life is only going back to normal because people need normalcy. Not because things have gotten better yet.

I'm far from naive and I've been here for nearly 20 years (wow, that long???). I was responding to a claim that the situation is worsening. It's not worsening yet. Yes we are playing a waiting game.

Things go back to normal as per Pikud Ha'oref. Pikud Ha'oref isn't playing games, their rules are written in blood, literally.

If they say it is safe for something (schools, stores, whatever) to go back to normal that's because they think it is safe for that sector/population to go back to normal, based on the situational assessments. In the meantime, things are not worse. In the future? Who knows.

Elfrida

Post Mon, Oct 16 2023, 1:01 pm
amother Papaya wrote:

For those who have sons, husbands, brothers and fathers who have been called to the army, life is very far from normal. The normality is only an outer veneer, and everyone knows it.

amother
Buttercup

Post Mon, Oct 16 2023, 1:03 pm
Elfrida wrote:
For those who have sons, husbands, brothers and fathers who have been called to the army, life is very far from normal. The normality is only an outer veneer, and everyone knows it.

Precisely.

It's an abnormal normal.

amother
Papaya

Post Mon, Oct 16 2023, 1:05 pm
amother Buttercup wrote:
I'm far from naive and I've been here for nearly 20 years (wow, that long???). I was responding to a claim that the situation is worsening. It's not worsening yet. Yes we are playing a waiting game.

Things go back to normal as per Pikud Ha'oref. Pikud Ha'oref isn't playing games, their rules are written in blood, literally.

If they say it is safe for something (schools, stores, whatever) to go back to normal that's because they think it is safe for that sector/population to go back to normal, based on the situational assessments. In the meantime, things are not worse. In the future? Who knows.

Ive been israel over 20 years. Im ot going to argue.

amother
Papaya

Post Mon, Oct 16 2023, 1:06 pm
Elfrida wrote:

Yes, I know. My point was just that. Its ot normal. Pikud haoref are only opening things up so that people have some notmalcy, but of course things are not normal.

amother
Buttercup

Post Mon, Oct 16 2023, 1:08 pm
amother Papaya wrote:
Ive been israel over 20 years. Im ot going to argue.

And you really think things are only going back to semi-normal schedules because people need normalcy? Not because assessments have deemed it not a risk at the moment?

I'm not talking next week. I'm talking the updates for tomorrow, the next day.

This country is perfectly capable of handling not going back to routine for three weeks while we fight the worst part of a war. And we've done it before.

A desire for normalcy is not the reason for anything reopening.

amother
Gray

Post Mon, Oct 16 2023, 1:10 pm
Here’s what I would do-

Book her a flight for 2-3 weeks from now.
IyH things will quiet down by then. If not, you can always cancel that flight and rebook.
If things quiet down- everyone will be trying to fly and it will be hard to get a flight so this way you secured something for her. AND she won’t feel so displaced and out of it now. She will be able to tell people that she’s going back and be able to look forward to it.
If you can, try to work behind the scenes and find her a temporary job for the next few weeks. Either in an office or being an assistant at a playgroup. Have them call her directly so she feels needed.
IyH this situation is temporary.

amother
Buttercup

Post Mon, Oct 16 2023, 1:12 pm
amother Papaya wrote:
Yes, I know. My point was just that. Its ot normal. Pikud haoref are only opening things up so that people have some notmalcy, but of course things are not normal.

No, I don't think so. I think they are opening it up because the risk/benefit analysis shows that the risks for those things are so tiny, and the price of keeping them closed right now is much bigger. The moment the risk gets bigger and the benefit gets smaller they will shut it again. Even if that means a zigzag. And if there is a desire to maintain a schedule and avoid zigzag but they think the risks are substantial and don't feel comfortable opening continuously then they will insist on everything possible going remote/online until there is not expected to be a need for caution in the near future, and in the meantime carefully controlling the numbers of people allowed to be in one place at a given time.

mommish613

Post Mon, Oct 16 2023, 1:22 pm
amother Gray wrote:
Here’s what I would do-

Book her a flight for 2-3 weeks from now.
IyH things will quiet down by then. If not, you can always cancel that flight and rebook.
If things quiet down- everyone will be trying to fly and it will be hard to get a flight so this way you secured something for her. AND she won’t feel so displaced and out of it now. She will be able to tell people that she’s going back and be able to look forward to it.
If you can, try to work behind the scenes and find her a temporary job for the next few weeks. Either in an office or being an assistant at a playgroup. Have them call her directly so she feels needed.
IyH this situation is temporary.

People have been booking cancelable flights for a few days or weeks away since simchas torah. It has or can backfire for many reasons.

1. It causes panic amongst the girls. My daughter called a few times to tell me that “everyone” is leaving. Most of the “everyone” were girls that had flights that they were planning on cancelling. ALL ended up cancelling. It caused unnecessary spiraled panic among the girls (and parents)

2. Many of these flights were cancelled. Things are so fluid there is absolutely no guarantee that her flight will be waiting for her

3. El Al is taking a major loss by allowing last minute cancellations. 3/4 of these flights are empty. So aside from the people that could’ve used these tickets to get home (but couldn’t because they were only available at the last second) I would not be surprised if things change in the coming days/weeks with regard to this.

4. The back and forth that these girls/parents are enduring is causing even more panic.

Just speaking from first hand experience

amother
Wheat

Post Mon, Oct 16 2023, 10:34 pm
amother Papaya wrote:

Life is basically normal and fine in yerushlayim. What makes you think it’s not? Please stop saying falsehood abd making parents nervous for no reason. My son is there and bh is fine. I was nervous and I have to work on myself, that’s my issue that I have no right to put on my son and make him come home because I’m anxious.

amother
Clover

Post Mon, Oct 16 2023, 10:42 pm
amother Wheat wrote:
Life is basically normal and fine in yerushlayim. What makes you think it’s not? Please stop saying falsehood abd making parents nervous for no reason. My son is there and bh is fine. I was nervous and I have to work on myself, that’s my issue that I have no right to put on my son and make him come home because I’m anxious.

I keep telling myself this.

amother
Papaya

Post Tue, Oct 17 2023, 12:12 am
amother Wheat wrote:

Life is ot back to normal. We are in the midst of a war. Lets not kid ourselves.
Yes, things are going back to some semblence of normal so that life can go on. But please, make no mistake, there is most definitely still a war going on here.
And not everyone is in yerushaliyim. Not even all seminaries and yeshivahs.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Seminary Info