Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Boys haircuts at home

Flip Flops

Post Mon, Oct 16 2023, 5:51 pm
I've tried giving my son haircuts at home several times, but it always leaves such a mess.
Hair gets all over the floor despite doing it over a plastic tablecloth. It also goes all over my son even though he is covered. For some reason it just makes a wreck and I keep finding more hair all over my house!
Any tips?

mfb

Post Mon, Oct 16 2023, 6:06 pm
I do it in the bathroom and they go straight into the bath.
(Kids are usually in just underwear when I give the haircut)

Princess23

Post Mon, Oct 16 2023, 6:08 pm
This is why going to a good salon (if willing to pay) that does a good job is perfect, because they get good haircuts while never making a mess. Two win win.

Flip Flops

Post Mon, Oct 16 2023, 6:10 pm
Princess23 wrote:
This is why going to a good salon (if willing to pay) that does a good job is perfect, because they get good haircuts while never making a mess. Two win win.

I do that sometimes, but I'm trying to be frugal.

The Happy Wife

Post Mon, Oct 16 2023, 6:12 pm
Haircuts in the bathroom and straight into the shower. Hair gets vacuumed.

Highstrung

Post Mon, Oct 16 2023, 6:14 pm
I keep the vacuum cleaner right next to me and I vacuum the chair after shaking off my boys. Use a hair cut cape so the hair slides down to the plastic on the floor . Roll the plastic up immediately . Vacuum all areas around where you cut the hair. I never have issues.

shirachadasha

Post Mon, Oct 16 2023, 6:40 pm
I put a cape (like the kind they use in barber shops) on ds. Then I tuck a paper towel in the collar. So the hair doesn't stick to him. Once he steps into the bathtub I use a paper towel to wipe the floor.

Puppies

Post Mon, Oct 16 2023, 7:00 pm
My boys wear the plastic cape, and strip to their underwear. Never wear socks- hair sticks to it and then travels all over.

happy chick

Post Mon, Oct 16 2023, 7:02 pm
And make sure you're wearing a short skirt, otherwise your skirt becomes the new attraction

YounginBP

Post Mon, Oct 16 2023, 7:19 pm
I lower the vacuum pressure (is that a word?) And vacuum ds as well.
It's always a big cleanup anyway. With cape and only underwear.
Also bribe them to shower rather than bathe. Otherwise you're cleaning the tub too.

bsy

Post Mon, Oct 16 2023, 8:09 pm
YounginBP wrote:
I lower the vacuum pressure (is that a word?) And vacuum ds as well.
It's always a big cleanup anyway. With cape and only underwear.
Also bribe them to shower rather than bathe. Otherwise you're cleaning the tub too.

Suction as opposed to pressure Smile

YounginBP

Post Mon, Oct 16 2023, 8:38 pm
bsy wrote:
Suction as opposed to pressure Smile

Yep. It literally just came to me. Was coming to edit. Lol. Ty

Puppies

Post Mon, Oct 16 2023, 10:47 pm
happy chick wrote:
And make sure you're wearing a short skirt, otherwise your skirt becomes the new attraction

I wear an apron too, otherwise I have tiny bristly tickly hairs all over me too.

asmileaday

Post Mon, Oct 16 2023, 11:02 pm
I have a few boys plus dh. If possible I try to give all haircuts in 1 night so it's just 1 cleanup.
I do it in the master bathroom because that's bigger and then I can start on the next haircut while the previous one showers. (Oh and you can't give haircuts in a room that's steamy and wet from ongoing showers.)
Kids wear underwear only. I put them on a haircutting cape. Yes to the short skirt!
I have a big barber brush to brush off all the hair from their head and brush the soles of their feet on the way out to the shower so they don't track hair along their path.
I keep a broom and vacuum nearby. Sweep all the big hair and put in the bathroom garbage can. I do this between each child. At the end I vacuum all the tiny hairs. The longer hairs clog and destroy my vacuum cleaner.
When I'm done I shower too and change into fresh clothing (or pjs if it's at night).

Tzutzie

Post Mon, Oct 16 2023, 11:32 pm
Depending on the weather/ day/ whatever is going on.

There are basically 3 ways I do it. Lol.

In the summer, I cut hair outside. (Not dhs) in the grass. My kid undresses and will wear only his shorts. I rip 3 holes in a garbage bag and he wears that as a cape. Then before entering the house I rip off the bag and he goes straight for a shower.
You can obviously only do this if you have a private yard.

I like to do it when the cleaning lady is there.
Dh will undress in just his undershirt and shorts. He sits on the tub ledge and bends over and shave into a basin.
Then he takes a shower right away.
My son stands there bending over and I'll shave. It takes no more that 2 minutes if that. He's been doing it since his second haircut.
Then once in the shower I sweep Away the hair, lay down a fresh shower rug / towel so they step over that on their way out. Ever haircut/shower gets a fresh rug. Then the cleaning lady cleans the toilet.

3. I also cut my girls hair. (I took a professional course years ago. And although I can't do any fancy styles. I can do a good straight cut or a Bob style, or some gohst layers. Whatever is in style at that moment but Basics.)
Saved us a lot of $$ and even more a LOT of time and headache. The 2 times I had someone else do their hair we didn't like it and I ended up fixing it up. I know our style. What I like, what my kid likes. So far it works bh. (My big girls are 18 and 10)

So then I do the same shtick w the garbage bag. My kid will sit in the highchair so that it's a better height for me to cut I'll do it in the part of ff the living room that's farthest away of any furniture and no rugs. Cut, sweep and/or vacuum. Shower. Summer, when the girls were little I would also do it outside.
I still cut bangs outside even in the cold. My kid will wear her coat or whatever and bend over a drop. Take 20-30 seconds second to trim and texture. I do it every 3-4 weeks like this. Its totally completely mess free.

Flip Flops

Post Tue, Oct 17 2023, 8:19 pm
Thanks for all the tips!

mama123

Post Tue, Oct 17 2023, 9:05 pm
I also like to do it outside when the weather is nice. But lately my preteen/teen have been much more self conscious about that, so it's usually in the bathroom, instead. I also hate the mess, but it is what it is. I sweep up right after before they turn on the shower, because once the hairy floor gets wet, it's much harder to clean up.

mom!

Post Tue, Oct 17 2023, 9:14 pm
Haircuts in the garage and then blown outside with the leaf blower

Happy247

Post Tue, Oct 17 2023, 9:20 pm
I don't like the bathroom. Too hard to clean. I prefer a clear space in my long hallway. Only a flat floor to clean.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics