Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
I spent $650 on food this week!
1  2  Next

justforfun87

Post Thu, Oct 19 2023, 2:57 pm
I should post this anonymously just cause of the embarrassment but it is ok. A large Costco trip on Sunday plus hosting this shabbos lunch and I realized I spent close to $650. This is ridiculous. The only premade food I got was 1/2pd of tuna. The meat was cholent bones and stew meat plus I did stock up on some chicken at Costco to save money. I know there is inflation but I wonder if I am just so disorganized that I overbuy. I try as best I can to also shop at Target. I would shop at Aldis but it is very hard to get out there after work.

Help!

amother
Amethyst

Post Thu, Oct 19 2023, 2:59 pm
Mom.no guests and no Costco and spent 550 last night on just my family....I did but other stuff needed though for the house and snacks for the kids.

justforfun87

Post Thu, Oct 19 2023, 3:16 pm
amother Amethyst wrote:
Mom.no guests and no Costco and spent 550 last night on just my family....I did but other stuff needed though for the house and snacks for the kids.

Yes, snacks for kids as well. I know all the tricks. Buy in bulk, don't buy individual snack bags, etc but I don't see the results when I get to the store. How many kids do you have and how old are they?

amother
DarkMagenta

Post Thu, Oct 19 2023, 3:18 pm
At least you didn't spend that much on tights! LOL

justforfun87

Post Thu, Oct 19 2023, 3:19 pm
amother DarkMagenta wrote:
At least you didn't spend that much on tights! LOL

Good point! I did buy tights this week for myself and my daughter and that was a whopping $60 for 4 tights and 4 pairs of leggings from Amazon.

amother
Starflower

Post Thu, Oct 19 2023, 3:25 pm
Impossible to know the answer without knowing your family size. $650 for a family with 2 toddlers isn't the same as $650 with a house of teenagers.

justforfun87

Post Thu, Oct 19 2023, 3:31 pm
amother Starflower wrote:
Impossible to know the answer without knowing your family size. $650 for a family with 2 toddlers isn't the same as $650 with a house of teenagers.

3 kids are ages 7-11. One is 1yrs old.

amother
Honeysuckle

Post Thu, Oct 19 2023, 3:33 pm
teenagers make a big difference! I also spent a lot last week. However, I had to restock from having all of my big boys home for Sukkos. That ate everything that wasn't nailed down!!

amother
Natural

Post Thu, Oct 19 2023, 3:38 pm
I definitely noticed prices skyrocketing at Costco more over the past few months as compared to the rate of increase at the jewish stores. Or maybe I'm just much more conscious of only shopping sales at Jewish stores but my Costco bill has definitely gone up by $100 on average with going once month

mizle10

Post Thu, Oct 19 2023, 3:42 pm
Also makes a difference what you bought in costco. Fruits and veggies that will be gone in a week is very different than a big pack of paper towels, tissues, Ziploc bags, detergent etc that will last a while.

amother
Amethyst

Post Thu, Oct 19 2023, 3:52 pm
justforfun87 wrote:
Yes, snacks for kids as well. I know all the tricks. Buy in bulk, don't buy individual snack bags, etc but I don't see the results when I get to the store. How many kids do you have and how old are they?

4 children. 12 and down.

amother
NeonOrange

Post Thu, Oct 19 2023, 3:57 pm
I pay that each week.

rgr

Post Thu, Oct 19 2023, 3:59 pm
Costco adds up so quickly!

amother
Vermilion

Post Thu, Oct 19 2023, 4:23 pm
Yes, me too. No guests this week.
4 teens but I’ll admit I could probably shop a little smarter although I really didn’t go overboard.

amother
Aubergine

Post Thu, Oct 19 2023, 4:29 pm
Just got back from Costco. Spent $350. Spent $130 in ShopRite this morning and about $150 between 3 trips to Aldi’s and the cheap fruit store.
I don’t notice a huge increase In Costco prices. (Although parchment paper went from $9.99-$12.99) Biggest price increase is Amazing Savings.

happy chick

Post Thu, Oct 19 2023, 4:33 pm
Just Costco could be $650

amother
Honey

Post Thu, Oct 19 2023, 4:36 pm
Is that including Shabbos?!

justforfun87

Post Thu, Oct 19 2023, 4:48 pm
amother Honey wrote:
Is that including Shabbos?!

Yes, including shabbos.

GLUE

Post Thu, Oct 19 2023, 4:56 pm
justforfun87 wrote:

It does not work in my house, the kids just over fill the bags and big bags are not cheaper plus you have to buy the zip locks and even cheap ones cost money.(If your kids are like mine buying the reusable Target zip locks is a wast of money)

amother
Alyssum

Post Thu, Oct 19 2023, 4:56 pm
justforfun87 wrote:
I should post this anonymously just cause of the embarrassment but it is ok. A large Costco trip on Sunday plus hosting this shabbos lunch and I realized I spent close to $650. This is ridiculous. The only premade food I got was 1/2pd of tuna. The meat was cholent bones and stew meat plus I did stock up on some chicken at Costco to save money. I know there is inflation but I wonder if I am just so disorganized that I overbuy. I try as best I can to also shop at Target. I would shop at Aldis but it is very hard to get out there after work.

Help!

I'm impressed. Costco alone could be that much for me.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics