Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
How to put a 4 year old to bed

amother
OP

Post Thu, Oct 19 2023, 7:19 pm
Feed bathe say shema read a book read another because the first one was terrible refuse to read living emunah give in do teshuva because there are no pictures NO you have to MEAN it. Re feed because starving Confused Drink bathroom bathroom again...

amother
Aconite

Post Thu, Oct 19 2023, 7:20 pm
Your OP is very difficult to understand.

Are you reading your 4 year old Living Emunah?

amother
Offwhite

Post Thu, Oct 19 2023, 7:24 pm
Set boundaries so you don’t suffer

amother
Tangerine

Post Thu, Oct 19 2023, 7:26 pm
I just did this.
Bath, pajamas, lotion and powder for rashes, water by her bed for drinking, pillow propped so she doesn't cough all night.
Shema, bring negel vaaser to bedroom, two min Rebbe video geared for kids.
Listen to three things that happened in school today
Hug and kiss and a gutte nacht. See you in the morning.

Rachel Shira

Post Thu, Oct 19 2023, 7:58 pm
Bath on bath nights, pajamas, read one book per kid all together on the couch, brush teeth, bathroom, go in bedroom and say shema and tuck in. Sit for 2-3 min on each kid’s bed. Say good night and leave.
He often calls me back once or twice and I go in briefly but there’s no leaving the room except for bathroom which is rare.
This is the routine for all my kids together. The whole thing with no bath is 30-40 min and we’ve been doing it forever so there’s no arguing.

amother
NeonOrange

Post Thu, Oct 19 2023, 8:12 pm
We do brush teeth and pjs right after dinner. They get to play until 10 minutes before bedtime (so the quicker they get ready the more play time. They usually have around an hour). Then 10 minutes to clean up the toys they were playing with. I give them a quick back scratch in their beds, we say our favorite thing of the day, I tuck them in, say Shema and then that’s it.

They keep water bottles by their beds. If they need to pee they go pee and back to bed.
They can read books in their bed/room/closet as long as they want but no talking.

That’s all.

Since they brush their teeth so early they eat dinner knowing there will be no more food after.

amother
White

Post Thu, Oct 19 2023, 8:20 pm
Bath/pj's/teeth brushing (let him do it alone, a battle I choose not to fight, it's good enough.)
He likes to look at a book by himself in bed. Then shema & lights out. The same routine every night bh.

SG18

Post Fri, Oct 20 2023, 3:50 am
Bedtime is a half hour after dinner, so she's not hungry again. Get in PJs, brush teeth, get in bed, read a book if she went in nicely, sing a song/shema (if she wants), hugs, goodnight

naomi2

Post Fri, Oct 20 2023, 7:08 am
You have to decide how many books you want to read a night and then let him know of the news rule. Also, after certain time of night, if my kids ask for food or drink, I tell them the kitchen is closed. That means I'm not preparing or fetching food. They can take a drink or fruit themselves. The trick is to let them know of the rules before bedtime so there is an expectation of behavior and they won't come up with things they absolutely must do or eat after your whole bedtime routine. They will learn to eat way before bedtime and they won't ask for more books because they know in advance how many you are reading. If they beg for more books or a snack just stay firm and say no, good night.

amother
Blonde

Post Sat, Oct 21 2023, 3:35 pm
Bath, PJ, teeth. Always same time, the only argument is about bath, once in the bath then the rest is a fixed and cam routine.
One Story only (with small cup of milk which we are trying to move on from). We do lots of reading at other tomes of day, so 1 is enough for bedtime.
Shema, hamalach etc.
2 songs I sing (since newborn)
Kiss, hug, snuggle up for 5 mins, blanket tucked in tight. Songs are like a pavlovian reaction - they get sleepy within seconds because I have always sung them at bedtime.
Usually asleep within minutes.

amother
Oldlace

Post Sat, Oct 21 2023, 9:04 pm
Basically doing the same since he's 15 months. Washup/bath, negel vasser, krias shema, occasionally a book.
Bh he doesn't nag for food, he did at some point and then it passed.
Bigger issue is how to get my current 15m old to stop nursing to sleep so we can do the same.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics