Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Madeline book

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 22 2023, 8:44 am
I bought my toddler a Madeline treasury because I have good memories of it as a child and also, the Madeline character reminds me so much of my little girl. For those who don’t know, Madeline lives in a convent. There is only one part where they say “thank the L-rd” and I change that to HaShem when I read. I didn’t realize until I was an adult that her teacher was a nun so I reasoned it would be fine for my toddler. There is a story that talks about the girls celebrating X-Mas. I really don’t want to get rid of the book or tear out a chapter. We’re yeshivish lite but both parents are BT- do I need to get rid of the book? In the past I’ve gotten rid of books that mention c-mas or Halloween. But I’m really emotionally attached to the Madeline stories. I don’t think I’ll be able to raise my child in a bubble, not knowing what x-mas is because parts of my family are intermarried. I can’t decide if that means I need to be more strict about this or less. Advice?

amother
Whitewash

Post Sun, Oct 22 2023, 8:52 am
I own Madeline. I don’t buy books that are completely about xmas. If it’s just one page in a book then I tend to ignore it. I’m also yeshivish lite.

imasinger

Post Sun, Oct 22 2023, 8:56 am
Can you glue the pages of that one story together?

Can you get rid of the treasury and look for individual volumes?

Can you ask for hadracha?

Figure out what feels right to you.

Last edited by imasinger on Sun, Oct 22 2023, 8:57 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Valerian

Post Sun, Oct 22 2023, 8:57 am
One book is specifically about Xmas and we don't own that one. No other issues with any of the others (unless you have a problem with Madeline's friendship with Pepito). I would say get rid of the treasury and buy the books individually so you can just not have the Xmas one. Yes, Miss Clavel is a nun, but that goes over most kids' heads. My kids just see a very tznius lady lol.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics