Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Fender bender in NJ

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 22 2023, 8:37 pm
If a police report was filed, does it automatically go to your car insurance record or only if you file a claim?

amother
Lightpink

Post Sun, Oct 22 2023, 8:39 pm
amother OP wrote:
If a police report was filed, does it automatically go to your car insurance record or only if you file a claim?

Only if you file a claim I think

amother
Candycane

Post Sun, Oct 22 2023, 8:53 pm
Following!
Was just in a fender bender for the first time since starting to drive 15 yrs ago…
Can’t seem to get an answer. Everyone I asked says something else!

amother
Aster

Post Sun, Oct 22 2023, 9:47 pm
https://www.nj.gov/mvc/pdf/lic.....t.pdf I think the insurance company will request these minimally when you renew.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 22 2023, 10:29 pm
thank you for responding
so if I choose not to file a claim (and pay the other person out of pocket) then there is a chance that my insurance will not receive record of this even though a police report was filed?

amother
Wine

Post Sun, Oct 22 2023, 10:51 pm
amother Lightpink wrote:
Only if you file a claim I think

Anyone who has access to the police report can file the claim.

I’m a hospital social worker and we see lots of Patients coming in after motor vehicle accident. Primary insurance must be no fault so though most often the cases haven’t been called in, I do it.

Doesn’t sound like your incident involved a hospital or doctor visit so it’s not the same thing.

But it’s important to know that anyone can call it in

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 22 2023, 10:53 pm
amother Wine wrote:
Anyone who has access to the police report can file the claim.

I’m a hospital social worker and we see lots of Patients coming in after motor vehicle accident. Primary insurance must be no fault so though most often the cases haven’t been called in, I do it.

Doesn’t sound like your incident involved a hospital or doctor visit so it’s not the same thing.

But it’s important to know that anyone can call it in

But if no one actually calls it in (there were no injuries) then theoretically the insurance doesn't have it on file?
(Trying to figure out if its a slam dunk once police report was filed if insurance is notified or not
Thanks

amother
Wine

Post Sun, Oct 22 2023, 10:55 pm
amother OP wrote:
But if no one actually calls it in (there were no injuries) then theoretically the insurance doesn't have it on file?
(Trying to figure out if its a slam dunk once police report was filed if insurance is notified or not
Thanks

Are you certain no one in the other car was hurt at all?

amother
Aster

Post Sun, Oct 22 2023, 10:57 pm
amother OP wrote:
Thanks

see my post at 9:47

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 22 2023, 11:38 pm
amother Wine wrote:
Are you certain no one in the other car was hurt at all?

Yes

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 22 2023, 11:40 pm
amother Aster wrote:

Am I understand from that that you think the insurance will have that info when it's up for renewal?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 22 2023, 11:42 pm
amother Aster wrote:

Am I understanding from that that you think the insurance will have that info when it's up for renewal?

groisamomma

Post Sun, Oct 22 2023, 11:44 pm
At renewal time they pull your DMV records. It's right there, even if you didn't file a claim. They've reminded me of small incidents that weren't even on my radar because noone got hurt and I didn't bother filing a claim (cosmetic or too time-consuming).

ETA small incidents that you didn't file a claim for impact your renewal costs minimally.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 22 2023, 11:54 pm
groisamomma wrote:
At renewal time they pull your DMV records. It's right there, even if you didn't file a claim. They've reminded me of small incidents that weren't even on my radar because noone got hurt and I didn't bother filing a claim (cosmetic or too time-consuming).

ETA small incidents that you didn't file a claim for impact your renewal costs minimally.

Thank you this is super helpful. So if I don't file a claim I can hope that if even if my premiums go up it would be minimal but if I file a claim it can go up more...

amother
Lavender

Post Sun, Oct 22 2023, 11:54 pm
It will be on your record but if there is no payout from insurance it wont effect ur renewal premium

Insurance broker here

groisamomma

Post Sun, Oct 22 2023, 11:55 pm
amother OP wrote:
Thank you this is super helpful. So if I don't file a claim I can hope that if even if my premiums go up if would be minimal but if I for a claim it can go up more...

Yes.

groisamomma

Post Sun, Oct 22 2023, 11:56 pm
amother Lavender wrote:
It will be on your record but if there is no payout from insurance it wont effect ur renewal premium

Insurance broker here

This sounds like it. (Sadly, we go around this block often with fender benders 😄)

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 22 2023, 11:57 pm
Thanks all!!
Think I'll pay out of pocket and not file a claim then

amother
Cherry

Post Mon, Oct 23 2023, 12:14 am
Does your insurance let you have a free accident, where nothing goes up or happens?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 23 2023, 9:11 pm
amother Cherry wrote:
Does your insurance let you have a free accident, where nothing goes up or happens?

nope...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics