Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Help an ADHD mom, how often do you clean the following?
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 23 2023, 9:24 am
*Kitchen floor
*Floor in rest of home
*Stove
*Fridge
*Counters
*Bathroom

What is the absolute minimum you would consider functional?

Thank you! Have a few toddlers for reference in terms of mess level created

Probably shouldn't admit the last time I cleaned my bathroom Hiding

amother
Tan

Post Mon, Oct 23 2023, 9:30 am
amother OP wrote:
*Kitchen floor
*Floor in rest of home
*Stove
*Fridge
*Counters
*Bathroom

Kitchen Floor - Twice a week
*Floor in rest of home - also twice a week but it's not necessary. Could be once a week
*Stove - Once a week, before Shabbos Unless something spills
*Fridge - Every other week
*Counters - Daily
*Bathroom - Twice a week

amother
Navyblue

Post Mon, Oct 23 2023, 9:31 am
* floor kitchen and bathroom twice a week
*Floor in rest of home once a week
*Stove twice a week glass so looks terrible
*Fridge monthly maybe (myself )
*Counters (daily myself)
*Bathroom twice weekly

Everything that gets done is by my cleaning lady I only do 2 myself. Both me and my husband have ADHD, he is medicated I am not. If not for cleaning lady twice a week we would not function. I can't even fold and put away my own laundry

If my kids are bathed and clean it's a win. I'm great at doing laundry sorting drying even hanging I can't fold and put away so we always have clean clothes. We cut back in other areas to allow for the cleaning help

amother
Blushpink

Post Mon, Oct 23 2023, 9:38 am
*Kitchen floor- I try to vacuum crumbs at least every other day, doesn't always happen. I rarely mop unless there's a spill Hiding
*Floor in rest of home- Hiding ideally monthly, but doesn't always happen
*Stove- I wipe when I notice it's looking dirty. Don't always notice Hiding
*Fridge- I try to throw out stuff that won't get eaten weekly for trash day, sometimes every other week.
*Counters- daily
*Bathroom- weekly, I've missed weeks and then it's gross. Clean bathroom and relatively clean kitchen are important to me...I can ignore dust.

LovesHashem

Post Mon, Oct 23 2023, 9:47 am
amother OP wrote:
*Kitchen floor
*Floor in rest of home
*Stove
*Fridge
*Counters
*Bathroom

Floors are easy since I got a steam vaccum mop. Sweeps and mops in one. Changed my life. So that's daily or every other day (high traffic areas. Not bedrooms)

Stove, eh probably once every two weeks
Fridge, whenever I notice it's pretty dirty.

Counters, I try for daily but it's usually every 1-3 days.

Bathrooms are once a week. Dh does bathrooms and the stove top.

amother
Broom

Post Mon, Oct 23 2023, 10:03 am
LovesHashem wrote:
Floors are easy since I got a steam vaccum mop. Sweeps and mops in one. Changed my life. So that's daily or every other day (high traffic areas. Not bedrooms)

Stove, eh probably once every two weeks
Fridge, whenever I notice it's pretty dirty.

Counters, I try for daily but it's usually every 1-3 days.

Bathrooms are once a week. Dh does bathrooms and the stove top.

Do you have a link for your steam mop if you're happy with it? I've been looking for one but the options are overwhelming to choose from! To clarify, you just do one go-over and it sweeps and mops at one time?

rainbow dash

Post Mon, Oct 23 2023, 10:09 am
Kitchen floor I sweep every night, cleaner cleans it once a week
Rest of home vacuum and cleaned once a week by cleaner
Stove twice a week
Counters everyday
Fridge once a week cause it's old and freezers over, so I have to hack the ice off. And we have garbage collection once a week, so I have to get rid of all the garbage.
Bathroom once a week by cleaner

amother
Mistyrose

Post Mon, Oct 23 2023, 10:10 am
Mop: once a week minimum!!!
Bathrooms: once a week minimum, can use cleaning wipes in between for small touch ups! (Try doing it while kids are in the bath!)
Fridge: deep clean once a month or when there's a spill
Stove: once a week minimum or when there's a spill
Counters: once daily or whenever it's dirty!

amother
Springgreen

Post Mon, Oct 23 2023, 10:10 am
Cleaning - bathrooms, floors, washing dishes is sometimes so tiring and difficult. But folding laundry is easy and can be done sitting down. Why do you find that hard? I don't mean to be critical. I just want to understand.

amother
Daisy

Post Mon, Oct 23 2023, 10:12 am
amother Broom wrote:
Do you have a link for your steam mop if you're happy with it? I've been looking for one but the options are overwhelming to choose from! To clarify, you just do one go-over and it sweeps and mops at one time?

Wondering the same

mha3484

Post Mon, Oct 23 2023, 10:17 am
DH does a lot of the cleaning. Two things that really make it easier is 1) having a stick vacuum that you can just grab anytime anyone spills. I have a dyson but you can get anything. My kids joke that its like DHs second hand lol. But its so easy to use when someone makes a mess one of us just grabs it and cleans up. My kids can use it too.

2) I have an electric mop. It makes mopping up spills a billion times easier. No dirty water, no wringing it out are big deals. I had a steam mop but then your left with a lot of water and I was always using towels and it was just annoying. I liked the robo mop but it didnt do corners. Eventually we settled on this. But the floors stay cleaner overall because its so easy to wipe up spills nothing really accumulates like it used to.

I find a a few investments in good cleaning tools you will actually use make a big difference.

amother
Electricblue

Post Mon, Oct 23 2023, 10:22 am
amother Mistyrose wrote:
Bathrooms: once a week minimum, can use cleaning wipes in between for small touch ups! (Try doing it while kids are in the bath!)

Agree with this as the minimum.

amother
Electricblue

Post Mon, Oct 23 2023, 10:24 am
A few tools that help me keep up- storing Lysol wipes in every bathroom so I can do quick touch ups without gathering supplies.

I keep a stick vacuum plugged into the corner between my kitchen and dining room. Not pretty, but very very functional. Much easier to grab it and do a quick job when it's right there.

I use a steam mop because mopping is overwhelming for me. Plus it does a very good job.

I don't have ADHD but in many ways I feel like I do have an ADHD brain and need these shortcuts.

amother
Lightpink

Post Mon, Oct 23 2023, 10:29 am
Never!
Although I do have a cleaning lady e/o week.

In all fairness, I don’t have small children and I clean everything as I think needed.
(I baked challah and there was flour all over the floor, I cleaned it, and the rest of the kitchen floor while the broom and mop were out.but I would never say it’s Thursday, let’s clean the floor)

If my toilet looks dirty, I will clean it-and sometimes the rest of the bathroom or the rest of my toilets. But definitely not on a schedule.
If I see a dust bunny, I will clean the floor. If I see a hand print I will take out the Mr clean magic eraser and check all the walls in the area. I don’t think I live in squalor (who does🤷‍♀️) but I definitely don’t have a schedule or system.

amother
Lightpink

Post Mon, Oct 23 2023, 10:33 am
amother Mistyrose wrote:

Whenever it’s dirty-is that more often or less often than once a day? And do you clean the whole counter or just the dirty part.

If I don’t cook dairy, why do I need to clean the dairy counter? It’s not so dusty in my house. Why am I cleaning the meat counter during the 9 days?

As I said above, I clean as needed, not on a schedule.

amother
Winterberry

Post Mon, Oct 23 2023, 10:33 am
Can people link to the electric mops or steamers they use?

LovesHashem

Post Mon, Oct 23 2023, 10:42 am
amother Broom wrote:

So I don't know if the exact model I have is sold in the USA, it's corded bisse crosswave that's blue. A quick search On Target shows there's a lot of different models.

It's not good for a deep clean, like if you have stuff that's been on the floor for like 3 days it's not coming off all the way. If you use it every single day then it can pretty much get anything up. Once it's set for like more than a day it won't get all the grime.

For my needs, as a mom of 3 kids under 5 who are throwing and splattering food on the floor for fun every night, like sweet potato or cottage cheese - it's great. I can just run over mashed avocado and bam, clean. I do my kitchen and living room almost every night.

amother
Kiwi

Post Mon, Oct 23 2023, 10:43 am
I live in a tiny two bedroom apartment with DH and one toddler.
Kitchen floor - I have a tiny windowless kitchen which is only used for cooking & food prep I spot clean as needed and cleaner does the floor properly once a week.
Floor in rest of home - cleaner does it properly once a week otherwise I hardly sweep only if there are crumb but usually have to clean the area after my toddler eats. I just got a spray mop and stick vacuum and it's a game changer.
Stove cleaner cleans once a week, will wipe it down if there is a dirty spill
Fridge I don't think I've ever cleaned it properly Hiding I chuck out whatever is going bad as soon as I notice and wipe down anything dirty as it happens.
Counters after any bit of food prep, I'm a bit obsessive about that
Bathroom cleaner once a week

I imagine that if I had more kids things would look very different in my house

amother
PlumPink

Post Mon, Oct 23 2023, 11:03 am
My cleaning help does most/all of the washing.
Bedrooms are on another floor. Vacuumed and washed weekly but it's totally unnecessary. I don't allow food upstairs so it never really gets dirty. If I'd have to do it myself I'd be fine with vacuuming every second week and washing once a month.
Bathrooms on bedroom floor once a week.
Bathroom on main floor twice a week.
Kitchen floor wash twice a week. I wish I would vacuum daily but I don't. I have teens (who are hardly home) and 1 toddler so it doesn't get terribly dirty. Once my baby starts crawling I'll probably be more motivated to vacuum daily.
Stove gets cleaned twice a week, just because it's part of my cleaning help's routine. If it's not filthy from something that spilled over, once a week is enough.
Refrigerator gets done once a week, again, only because my help does it. If I would have to do it I probably would clean it once every 2-3 weeks. My freezer usual only gets cleaned erev Pesach Hiding .

mha3484

Post Mon, Oct 23 2023, 11:09 am
One more thing I have learned is that the fewer steps to a garbage can the better. I split my house in 3 mental zones and each zone has a garbage can. So you can turn around and throw out the plastic cup, the wrapper, the straw without moving more then a few feet. If the garbage can feels like a big shlep then something else becomes the dumping ground for that kind of stuff. Its also much easier to teach your kids to throw out their own stuff when the can is close by.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry