Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Assignments or therapy for expressive language for teen
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 23 2023, 11:01 am
My child was already evaluated for language and nothing is clear but there is definitely (imo) a deficit in expressive language. They have trouble getting out a clear concise thought and talk in a roundabout fashion. It's sometimes like pulling teeth to get the whole story or to just get to the point of whatever it is they are trying to make.
Otherwise bright kid and does well in school.
Has anyone else had this and how did you help your child? Is there a specific language therapy for this? What's it called?
Are there workbooks to use on our own? Is there anything I can do to help train them to get out their thoughts properly?
It's such a specific area I'm having a hard time figuring out how to go about it.
Thanks

amother
Apple

Post Mon, Oct 23 2023, 11:21 am
Following. DD is the same!

amother
Oak

Post Mon, Oct 23 2023, 11:35 am
My DC had that. We worked with a very skilled language therapist. He's located in Brooklyn, I don't know if that helps.

amother
Eggplant

Post Mon, Oct 23 2023, 11:37 am
Language therapy with a skilled SLP.
There are tons of workbooks and worksheets. Check ebay. Also teachers pay teachers

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 23 2023, 11:54 am
amother Eggplant wrote:
Language therapy with a skilled SLP.
There are tons of workbooks and worksheets. Check ebay. Also teachers pay teachers

what exactly am I looking for? I googled and I'm not seeing anything that is addressing this issue. for example, I see a worksheet that is titled "same and different" that's not at all the issue. what is the description for this type of issue? Thanks!

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 23 2023, 11:54 am
amother Oak wrote:
My DC had that. We worked with a very skilled language therapist. He's located in Brooklyn, I don't know if that helps.

How old was your child when he had therapy? Any idea if this therapist will work over zoom? we are not in brooklyn.

oneofakind

Post Mon, Oct 23 2023, 11:58 am
In Lakewood, Language Builders deals with this exclusively. You need a speech therapist who specializes in expressive language and possibly critical thinking.

amother
Lemon

Post Mon, Oct 23 2023, 12:15 pm
You don't say how old your child is, which would make a difference in what you as a parent can provide.

But there is a company called super duper publications that has therapy materials which I found to be very helpful. Some of my child's speech therapists didn't like them. But I found them to be very good as an add on to what they do in sessions. Because some therapists just told me to work on something, but by myself I can't. But if I have materials to work off of, then I can provide practice.

So, I'm not a therapist but as a mom, I would tell you to buy cards that show pictures and have your child tell you 3 details about what he sees. Then as he gets better at it, I would use those cards to have him say what the main idea is. So for example, if there is a picture of a boy eating ice cream outside and he says the boy is wearing sneakers. while that is true, the main point is the ice cream so the supporting details would be the flavor is vanilla, its a hot day, etc. So it can teach him to understand which details are important and to be aware of the details to choose from.

Also, I would tell you not to get frustrated having to pull teeth to get the story. That is actually speech therapy! So keep doing it happily, and know that you are training him to be aware of all the details to tell in a coherent way. Try to get him to be able to answer the WH questions. Who what why where when. That will help him organize the thoughts and kind of cover all the bases so he can tell a full story. Oh, but you should know that the WHy questions are really higher level thinking and wouldn't really be appropriate for a young child, more like beginning at 5/6 and older.

amother
Oak

Post Mon, Oct 23 2023, 12:20 pm
amother OP wrote:
How old was your child when he had therapy? Any idea if this therapist will work over zoom? we are not in brooklyn.

10 yo. I'm not sure if he's willing to work though zoom. We used Yossi Klein, you can ask him.

amother
Eggplant

Post Mon, Oct 23 2023, 1:48 pm
amother OP wrote:
what exactly am I looking for? I googled and I'm not seeing anything that is addressing this issue. for example, I see a worksheet that is titled "same and different" that's not at all the issue. what is the description for this type of issue? Thanks!

Your son really needs a comprehensive speech and language evaluation. What were the results of his eval?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 23 2023, 3:47 pm
amother Eggplant wrote:
Your son really needs a comprehensive speech and language evaluation. What were the results of his eval?

No language deficit Sad but maybe he needs another eval. This was a few yrs ago. He's 14 now.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 23 2023, 3:47 pm
amother Lemon wrote:
You don't say how old your child is, which would make a difference in what you as a parent can provide.

But there is a company called super duper publications that has therapy materials which I found to be very helpful. Some of my child's speech therapists didn't like them. But I found them to be very good as an add on to what they do in sessions. Because some therapists just told me to work on something, but by myself I can't. But if I have materials to work off of, then I can provide practice.

So, I'm not a therapist but as a mom, I would tell you to buy cards that show pictures and have your child tell you 3 details about what he sees. Then as he gets better at it, I would use those cards to have him say what the main idea is. So for example, if there is a picture of a boy eating ice cream outside and he says the boy is wearing sneakers. while that is true, the main point is the ice cream so the supporting details would be the flavor is vanilla, its a hot day, etc. So it can teach him to understand which details are important and to be aware of the details to choose from.

Also, I would tell you not to get frustrated having to pull teeth to get the story. That is actually speech therapy! So keep doing it happily, and know that you are training him to be aware of all the details to tell in a coherent way. Try to get him to be able to answer the WH questions. Who what why where when. That will help him organize the thoughts and kind of cover all the bases so he can tell a full story. Oh, but you should know that the WHy questions are really higher level thinking and wouldn't really be appropriate for a young child, more like beginning at 5/6 and older.

Thank you! He's 14..

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 23 2023, 3:48 pm
oneofakind wrote:
In Lakewood, Language Builders deals with this exclusively. You need a speech therapist who specializes in expressive language and possibly critical thinking.

Thank you! Any idea if they work over zoom. But thank you for describing the specialty I'm looking for.

amother
Eggplant

Post Mon, Oct 23 2023, 3:48 pm
amother OP wrote:
No language deficit Sad but maybe he needs another eval. This was a few yrs ago. He's 14 now.

From what little you wrote, I would think there would be a language deficit/processing issue (speaking as an SLP myself). he should be evaluated again. have you tried doing kiddishe kop with him? thats a great book

amother
Eggplant

Post Mon, Oct 23 2023, 3:50 pm
amother Lemon wrote:

you do sound like a skilled SLP Wink
OP these are great ideas. On TPT look up terms like: processing, inferencing, main idea, supporting detail, formulating written paragraphs...

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 23 2023, 7:26 pm
amother Eggplant wrote:
From what little you wrote, I would think there would be a language deficit/processing issue (speaking as an SLP myself). he should be evaluated again. have you tried doing kiddishe kop with him? thats a great book

I also think there would be! pretty annoying that they didn't find anything. Maybe we should try a different place this time.

Yes he can do yiddeshe kop. Do you mean to ask him questions about the scene?

amother
Copper

Post Mon, Oct 23 2023, 8:00 pm
amother OP wrote:

Google 'pragmatics of speech' and 'nonverbal learning disability' and 'NVLD' to get you started.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 23 2023, 10:53 pm
amother Copper wrote:
Google 'pragmatics of speech' and 'nonverbal learning disability' and 'NVLD' to get you started.

thanks but this isn't it. it's not a social communication issue. It's an issue getting to the point, his brain is telling a story or making a point in a round about way.

amother
Melon

Post Mon, Oct 23 2023, 11:06 pm
Does he also have trouble finding words while writing or just while speaking?

I would also think language therapy with a trained SLP is the answer.

Are you comfortable telling us where you live so people can recommend SLP

amother
Eggplant

Post Tue, Oct 24 2023, 10:32 am
amother OP wrote:
I also think there would be! pretty annoying that they didn't find anything. Maybe we should try a different place this time.

Yes he can do yiddeshe kop. Do you mean to ask him questions about the scene?

Yiddishe kop might be great for him, I do it with my older students (your sons age). It trgets so many skills- inferencing, precision to detail, listening to the clues etc...
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children