Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
How come Yeshivas Mir is calling back the bochurim?
  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 24 2023, 9:19 am
Isn't it dangerous?
They had a yeshiva in Woodbourne for barely two weeks.
Now they told my son its closing and I got an email saying they all need to be back in Israel by this Thursday.

Aren't we pulling people out of there? Why are they doing this?

amother
Midnight

Post Tue, Oct 24 2023, 9:20 am
There are tons of seminary girls going back too next week. I think people are not so nervous about being in the yerushalayim area at this point

Elfrida

Post Tue, Oct 24 2023, 9:47 am
1. Because they are aware of the value of תורת ארץ ישראל.

2. Because whatever arrangements they made in America were costing a lot of money, while only benefitting a limited amount of bochrim.

amother
Narcissus

Post Tue, Oct 24 2023, 9:50 am
My brother is going back to Mir tomorrow ih.
I wouldn't be nervous being in Yerushalayim now. Torah is the greatest ammunition.

amother
Peachpuff

Post Tue, Oct 24 2023, 9:51 am
amother OP wrote:
Isn't it dangerous?
They had a yeshiva in Woodbourne for barely two weeks.
Now they told my son its closing and I got an email saying they all need to be back in Israel by this Thursday.

Aren't we pulling people out of there? Why are they doing this?

I read the letter. It did not say they need to be back in Israel this Thursday. It said that the arrangement in America will end Thursday and bochurim should start making their way back.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 24 2023, 10:07 am
amother Peachpuff wrote:
I read the letter. It did not say they need to be back in Israel this Thursday. It said that the arrangement in America will end Thursday and bochurim should start making their way back.

Yes Thursday till after morning seder.

Which means that if a boy is a serious learner he doesn't have anything from Thursday morning which to me means he should be in Israel either by the end of this week or beginning of next.

My question was not on the Thursday or the Sunday

The question is how can they call them back into a war zone. I understand Israelis are more careless by nature and have higher levels of emunah but for learning to have its effects it doesn't have to be in the place of the war zone.

amother
Hyssop

Post Tue, Oct 24 2023, 10:13 am
amother OP wrote:

Which means that if a boy is a serious learner he doesn't have anything from Thursday morning which to me means he should be in Israel either by the end of this week or beginning of next.

The question is how can they call them back into a war zone. I understand Israelis are more careless by nature and have higher levels of emunah but for learning to have its effects it doesn't have to be in the place of the war zone.
How can the IDF call reserve chayalim back into a war zone?
This is a war for all of us; it's time for everyone to do their part, whether it's physical or spiritual. Bochurim can always find places to learn here if they're not able to go back to EY for whatever reason.

amother
Slategray

Post Tue, Oct 24 2023, 10:14 am
My son has been learning in EY for a year (we live in the U.S.). Bli ayin hara the situation in Yerushalayim is stable and he is able to stick to his regular learning schedule. The bochurim who went home for Sukkos, and the new ones joining the yeshiva this zman, are trickling back in. There is no way to know how long the situation will last and it really does not make sense for all these bochurim to stay in limbo.

Elfrida

Post Tue, Oct 24 2023, 10:15 am
amother OP wrote:

I don't know about careless. I think it would be more accurate to say that in Israel we are more aware of the realities on the ground, and how to live with it. We don't treat real threats carelessly, but we don't turn minor issues into huge panics.

amother
Gladiolus

Post Tue, Oct 24 2023, 10:15 am
amother OP wrote:

Yerushalayim is not a war zone.

amother
Mayflower

Post Tue, Oct 24 2023, 10:19 am
amother OP wrote:

I really hope you didnt mean careless.

amother
Bluebell

Post Tue, Oct 24 2023, 10:20 am
They need the Torah in Israel now more than ever.

amother
Outerspace

Post Tue, Oct 24 2023, 10:21 am
My son has been in EY for the past 6 months in yeshiva. He didn't come home for sukkos. The situation in Yerushalayim is BH relatively stable right now. My son is not nervous and when asked if he wanted to come home, he said no. I thought he was being macho and spoke to other relatives that live in the area, and they agreed things are quiet in the area of his yeshiva/dira.

He is not in the mir, but another yeshiva. He said guys have been trickling back.

I do make him call home (2 seconds is fine) every day to say he's ok. I'm just having him do this until things settle down.

amother
Alyssum

Post Tue, Oct 24 2023, 10:24 am
I live here. Not Yerushalayim but nearby. If he is a serious learner he will be in the Beis Medresh, lunchroom, Beis Medresh, and apt. to sleep. Streets and roads are much quieter. You do what you need to and go home. You do not need to hang around outside. Torah learning is what Eretz Yisroel needs now.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 24 2023, 10:25 am
amother Mayflower wrote:
I really hope you didnt mean careless.

Maybe not in the way you're taking it.

Ok I know everything about Torah and chayalim and Israelis and the safety of Jerusalem.

I do not want to discuss this. Thanks.

From this post on

If you are a mother in the USA and have a bochur in Mir What are you doing?

I only want to hear replies from mothers that are in this situation. Thanks.

amother
Strawberry

Post Tue, Oct 24 2023, 10:26 am
amother OP wrote:
I understand Israelis are more careless by nature

Wow. No words. Clearly you know zero Israeli's.

snooper86

Post Tue, Oct 24 2023, 10:27 am
Bh Yerushalayim is up and running, the kids are going to school the buses and trains are full. There isn’t really a solid reason for bochurim to stay away. Obviously if it will affect them emotionally then don’t send. We aren’t any safer outside of Israel.

amother
Iris

Post Tue, Oct 24 2023, 10:27 am
A yeshiva like Mir that has full service dorm and meals available for those registered can more easily call the boys back and take care of them.
Yes, many boys choose to live in other diras or choose to go out for Shabbos meals rather than eating in the dining room, but as far as the yeshiva is concerned, they are committed to fully taking care of the boys in Israel even during a war, as long as they are properly registered and accepted to the yeshiva.

A yeshiva that doesn't have a dorm, doesn't provide all meals, doesn't provide Shabbos meals can't make that same level of demand on their bachurim to return.

amother
Strawberry

Post Tue, Oct 24 2023, 10:28 am
To answer your question, as someone who lives in yerushalayim and has a husband in the Mir, they are calling the bochurim back because there is no reason not to.

amother
Mayflower

Post Tue, Oct 24 2023, 10:38 am
amother OP wrote:
Maybe not in the way you're taking it.

Ok I know everything about Torah and chayalim and Israelis and the safety of Jerusalem.

I do not want to discuss this. Thanks.

From this post on

If you are a mother in the USA and have a bochur in Mir What are you doing?

I only want to hear replies from mothers that are in this situation. Thanks.

Thats nice that you may not want to discuss this, ut you wrote something on a very mixed board.
And it hurt those of us eho live in precious Eretz Yisrael.

I think it behooves you to explain what you meant.
Orherwise, ypu just sound both not nice and naive as well. Crying
Page 1 of 8   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next Recent Topics