Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
How come Yeshivas Mir is calling back the bochurim?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next

Another mom

Post Tue, Oct 24 2023, 3:43 pm
amother Mayflower wrote:
Thats nice that you may not want to discuss this, ut you wrote something on a very mixed board.
And it hurt those of us eho live in precious Eretz Yisrael.

I think it behooves you to explain what you meant.
Orherwise, ypu just sound both not nice and naive as well. Crying

I think you should take back the comment on "careless" and can continue from there. Thx

Goody2shoes

Post Tue, Oct 24 2023, 3:45 pm
amother Bergamot wrote:
Israel is just as pro LGBTQ as America is. Global warming affects Israel just as much as far as I’m aware. It’s called “global” for a reason. The shekel is not the world’s reserve currency, who cares if the dollar isn’t someday. AI could affect you in Israel the same as here but I think fears are overblown anyways. Tel Aviv is a tech center.

There are Arabs living in Israel that are more bloodthirsty, their culture is to viciously and brutally attack. Westerners aren’t raised like that, it takes mental illness to make someone violent, even if they have pro Palestinian views.

Since when does it take mental illness to make someone violent against Jews?
Face it, we are hated all over and we are unsafe all over. See how enlightened and stable people were so happy to help Hitler get rid of us during WW2.
Hating Jews isn't something anyone needs to be raised with, it's in their DNA. But tell yourself whatever you want if it makes you feel safer.

amother
Burlywood

Post Tue, Oct 24 2023, 3:48 pm
alwayssmiling wrote:
Since when does it take mental illness to make someone violent against Jews?
Face it, we are hated all over and we are unsafe all over. See how enlightened and stable people were so happy to help Hitler get rid of us during WW2.
Hating Jews isn't something anyone needs to be raised with, it's in their DNA. But tell yourself whatever you want if it makes you feel safer.

Arab in their territories are raised to kill
And hate Jews and they are trained from young age to do it. Also in social media they have propaganda to kill Jews to whoever live other places like Israel. It’s not the same as westerners

amother
Jean

Post Tue, Oct 24 2023, 3:50 pm
amother Strawberry wrote:
I mean this with all seriousness after seeing the violent rallies in London, NY and the beating of Jews in Chicago, the statements from all the IV league schools...I am so happy I live in yerushalayim and you couldn't pay me to leave. I'd be terrified.

I live in ny and feel the same way. I’d really feel safest in eretz Yisrael. There, at least you know for certain that the government, leadership, police etc are firmly on your side and won’t ever sway. Besides of course that we know clearly that the kedusha of eretz Yisroel protects.

amother
Hyssop

Post Tue, Oct 24 2023, 3:58 pm
amother Jean wrote:
I live in ny and feel the same way. I’d really feel safest in eretz Yisrael. There, at least you know for certain that the government, leadership, police etc are firmly on your side and won’t ever sway. Besides of course that we know clearly that the kedusha of eretz Yisroel protects.
lol, I agree with your first 2 sentences, but not the rest. No, no, we believe in Hashem ALONE. To think we're safer in EY because of the govt and police... no way. We have no one to rely upon except our Father in heaven.

amother
NeonGreen

Post Tue, Oct 24 2023, 4:01 pm
To quote:
Israel is just as pro LGBTQ as America is. Global warming affects Israel just as much as far as I’m aware. It’s called “global” for a reason. The shekel is not the world’s reserve currency, who cares if the dollar isn’t someday. AI could affect you in Israel the same as here but I think fears are overblown anyways. Tel Aviv is a tech center.

There are Arabs living in Israel that are more bloodthirsty, their culture is to viciously and brutally attack. Westerners aren’t raised like that, it takes mental illness to make someone violent, even if they have pro-Palestinian views.

Let's take it one point at a time, Bergamot:

Yes, sadly, some segments of Israeli society may be very open to LGBTQ ideology these days, but the public's acceptance of these views is hardly as rampant as elsewhere in the West. Close to 80% of the Israeli public (if not more - I do not recall the exact statistic) believes in Hashem, and most of these are at least traditional at heart.
We do not begin to know Hashem's cheshbonos, but I personally believe there is a reason the terrorists began by targeting a nature rave, with all its attendant moral depravity (not to mention the gigantic Buddha towering over the party.
It is hard to ignore the message. And we would be foolish to do so.
Again - the special protection of Eretz Yisroel comes with a price tag - fealty to Hashem's Torah and mitzvos. (We love to remind ourselves of the former, but casually discard the latter...).

Regarding global warming - that may be the case. Though, to date, we have hardly seen any kind of disaster on the scale of that which has been seen elsewhere. This isn't to say it can't happen - just that it hasn't.
When Hashem bought the flood to the world in the times of Noah - Eretz Yisroel was the only place on the planet where trees could still be found when the waters subsided. Just saying.
Today, as then, the holy land is our ark (as are our Yeshivos and Batei Medrash - no matter where you live).
As to the failing dollar - it is truly nothing to me. I live in Israel.
But if I was an American citizen, who kept all my assets and savings in dollars, you bet I'd be concerned...
At the very least it would make me think twice about living my golden years in the no-longer "goldene medina".

And your last line makes me realize how little you understand of what I'm trying to say.
Tel Aviv is a tech center.
Okay.
And therefore?
Even if half the dangers of AI were to realize - there is little the Tel Avivian techies could do to make things right. That particular horse (more like Goliath himself) would have long flown the stable by then.
But, luckily, I am not relying on any hi-tech engineer to save me from AI or from anything else, for that matter.
And neither should you.
The point I am trying to make -
Which seems to be getting lost in the rambling post :-(
Is that nothing and no one can save us from anything but Hashem Above.
Ein Od Milvado.
And if you'd like an extra measure of Hashem's constant watchfulness and Divine protection -
The holy land is the place to be.

I look forward to meeting you in person, tambourines in hand, on the way to the Beis Hamikdash.
Hopefully at that point, nothing more will need to be said :-).

yolo81

Post Tue, Oct 24 2023, 4:06 pm
my son is in mir.
reb asher shuir and he want to be their it’s time it hard to learn threw a hook up.

amother
NeonGreen

Post Tue, Oct 24 2023, 4:14 pm
amother Magnolia wrote:
Just reminding you that not all of us who live in chu”l feel like Op and another bergamot
Bh my emunah and bitachon are very very strong and I have the deepest desire to be in ey bdavka right now.

Magnolia - if that is your deepest desire - ask Hashem to help you realize your dream.
A person is led where he wants to go...
Take one small step to show Hashem how much you mean it -
Ask - repeatedly - for Syata D'Shmaya, and may any obstacles fall away faster than you'd imagined possible.
Not saying it will be easy -
The greater the spiritual prize, the more determinedly the other side stands in our way.
But don't give up!!!

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 24 2023, 4:53 pm
amother Chambray wrote:
Op, I have the same dilemma. Those of us living outside of Israel are just so afraid. I feel it's irresponsible of me to send my son back and on the other hand he needs to go back if that's what the hanhala is asking. I'm begging Hashem to help and give me clarity.

Thanks. This is all I wanted to hear.
I don't know what to tell him. How to protect himself. There's a normal level of hishtadlos that a person needs to do.

For instance When he went the first time I had someone explain to him how an Arab looks like because I have seen American girls walk into taxis with Arab drivers because they were naive.

Now with the war some things may be self explanatory to people that live there but not to the people that come from the outside.

I dont even know what to tell him.

amother
NeonGreen

Post Tue, Oct 24 2023, 5:06 pm
OP -
With all said and written - I 100% get your concern.
It must be really tough sending a son to a faraway country when a war is raging there.
Even if it is the holy land!
I'd advise him to stay in, and as close to the yeshiva as much as possible, and not to leave Jerusalem unless he has good reason to.
Is there a Maggid shiur he is close to?
A mentor can really help in a situation like this -
someone he can direct any question to, as and when they arise.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 24 2023, 5:25 pm
amother Pistachio wrote:
My son was also upstate in the Mir and will be going to E'Y after shabbos, hopefully. I also feel a bit wistful, I was so hoping that they would have yeshiva here for another few weeks. I definitely worry less!

But, E'Y is the best place for him to learn right now, and so he will be going iy'h. I know you are worried, I am too. Other yeshivas (Pragers and others my son told me that I can't remember) who opened up a satellite space in the US are also finishing up this week and the boys will be going to Israel. Things have stabilized somewhat, so it is time. It is hard. I'm not pretending. But honestly, I'm worried about everyone, all the people of israel, the chayalim, the whole Jewish people, so I'm not sure where my worry about my children starts or ends, its such a heartache. I tell myself, that Hashem never sleeps, He watches over the Jewish people. And He will watch my children as well as everyone else's.

Of course I'm worried for everyone else but some people that I talk to don't even care or they pretend to not care.
They just go on and on how safe Israel is.

I can hear everyone that feels safe but what about a person that doesn't feel safe? I feel like I must force myself to feel safe or else I'm not even considered Jewish or I'm lacking emunah.

I know I'm not.
I'm not saying anyone should move but it is not kind to say that its not scary or its not a big decision to send your son into a war ridden country and its just my emunah lacking and I shouldn't read the news (which I'm not)

He will go because it is the only place for him but I am anxious and sad that I am in this situation and I appreciate hearing from other mothers that they are scared too.

amother
Glitter

Post Tue, Oct 24 2023, 5:26 pm
amother OP wrote:
I don't know what to tell him. How to protect himself. There's a normal level of hishtadlos that a person needs to do.

For instance When he went the first time I had someone explain to him how an Arab looks like because I have seen American girls walk into taxis with Arab drivers because they were naive.

Now with the war some things may be self explanatory to people that live there but not to the people that come from the outside.

The way to avoid taking an Arab taxi driver is to order from a company that only uses Jewish drivers. That's what I do.

amother
Magnolia

Post Tue, Oct 24 2023, 5:27 pm
amother NeonGreen wrote:
Magnolia - if that is your deepest desire - ask Hashem to help you realize your dream.
A person is led where he wants to go...
Take one small step to show Hashem how much you mean it -
Ask - repeatedly - for Syata D'Shmaya, and may any obstacles fall away faster than you'd imagined possible.
Not saying it will be easy -
The greater the spiritual prize, the more determinedly the other side stands in our way.
But don't give up!!!

I know, Dw. There are many factors in my life that you aren’t privy to that unfortunately makes it not a possibility at this time

amother
Thistle

Post Tue, Oct 24 2023, 5:34 pm
Taxi companies with only Jewish drivers:
Bar Ilan - 02-586-6666
Ramot Alon - 02-500-0000
Romema - 02-544-4444

amother
Hosta

Post Tue, Oct 24 2023, 5:36 pm
amother OP wrote:

What to tell him:
He should stay in the yeshiva or near it, no reason to go out for meals etc in the current situation.
If he needs to take a taxi he should order in advance from a Jewish company.
If he hears a siren, don't go outside to look at the sky, go into the nearest bomb shelter.

There isn't much else to say. Davka in the Mir he should have no reason to go anywhere. They provide everything he might need. He should go and stick his head into his sefarim and not take it out.

amother
Jasmine

Post Tue, Oct 24 2023, 5:47 pm
Loads of young couples already went back and are going back this week
Life needs to continue as much as normal as possible
We can’t let these things get us down, then we are letting them win
Of course it’s so painful and we can’t forget those that were murdered, kidnapped and hurt but our kids need to go back to yeshiva a kolel! That’s our greatest ammunition now.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Tue, Oct 24 2023, 5:53 pm
amother Hosta wrote:
What to tell him:
He should stay in the yeshiva or near it, no reason to go out for meals etc in the current situation.
If he needs to take a taxi he should order in advance from a Jewish company.
If he hears a siren, don't go outside to look at the sky, go into the nearest bomb shelter.

There isn't much else to say. Davka in the Mir he should have no reason to go anywhere. They provide everything he might need. He should go and stick his head into his sefarim and not take it out.

Many I add: After any siren don't go out for them first ten minutes. There could be debris from a shot down rocket flying in the air. We had debris landing in Bnei Brak last week and was not small at all, G-d forbid somebody gets hit by it and it's instant death on spot.

amother
Latte

Post Tue, Oct 24 2023, 9:05 pm
amother Midnight wrote:
There are tons of seminary girls going back too next week. I think people are not so nervous about being in the yerushalayim area at this point

Tons? I don't know any. Most are still waiting to see how it unfolds, some are here to stay (probably from Lahav, but maybe they'll change their mind).
How many do you personally know who're going back next week?

amother
Latte

Post Tue, Oct 24 2023, 9:14 pm
OP, your feelings and worries are absolutely valid. It's totally terrifying, especially since we still don't know about the ground invasion and rockets are flying from a few directions, not just Gaza.

imaima

Post Thu, Oct 26 2023, 7:20 am
amother OP wrote:
Of course I'm worried for everyone else but some people that I talk to don't even care or they pretend to not care.
They just go on and on how safe Israel is.

I can hear everyone that feels safe but what about a person that doesn't feel safe? I feel like I must force myself to feel safe or else I'm not even considered Jewish or I'm lacking emunah.

I know I'm not.
I'm not saying anyone should move but it is not kind to say that its not scary or its not a big decision to send your son into a war ridden country and its just my emunah lacking and I shouldn't read the news (which I'm not)

He will go because it is the only place for him but I am anxious and sad that I am in this situation and I appreciate hearing from other mothers that they are scared too.

Yes of course everyone is aware of danger.
but you are upset that you are labeled „without emunah“ while you yourself don’t hesitate to label people „careless“. How is it different?

It is obvious that any decisions made now are very complex and may have horrible consequences either way. Noone knows what to do, and while we all share the same emotions and fears, we may end up making different decisions. That’s okay. We all should withhold judgment about other people’s actions either way.
Page 7 of 8   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next Recent Topics