Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Monopoly is WAY too long!
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 24 2023, 11:28 am
Ds9 came home from cheder a while back raving about how fun Monopoly is. So I bought it for him a couple of weeks ago. And he's pretty obsessed. Only problem is he's the oldest and dd8, dh, and myself really don't have the time and/or patience for it. So I'm looking for other game suggestions, preferably not as long and that ds9 and dd8 are both likely to enjoy. Board games and card games would both be great. We have Uno, Set, Guess Who, but everything else is really more babyish games- versions of Candyland and Snakes and Ladders. So what would you suggest for these ages?

The Monopoly version I bought has credit cards and an electronic machine to use with them, which he really likes. But Shabbos game suggestions would also be great. Thanks for any ideas. They grow up so fast!

Bonnet

Post Tue, Oct 24 2023, 11:32 am
Monopoly Builder is super fun - and actually has an end time lol! It takes about half hour or so... Or Monopoly Deal, card game, takes only 15 minutes

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 24 2023, 11:34 am
Bonnet wrote:
Monopoly Builder is super fun - and actually has an end time lol! It takes about half hour or so... Or Monopoly Deal, card game, takes only 15 minutes

Thanks, I'll look into them. I never heard of Monopoly Builder. Monopoly Deal I've heard of and wanted to look into. I forgot to mention we live in Israel and kids only read Hebrew, but most of these kinds of games seem to have translated versions here anyway. Would love more suggestions!

AlwaysGrateful

Post Tue, Oct 24 2023, 11:35 am
I was also going to suggested Monopoly Deal, my kids have loved it for years.

For board games...Othello or backgammon for a two-person game. Life is long but not as long as monopoly, and has the same feel. Chinese checkers (but choking hazards if you have little ones).

You can also play a shortened version of monopoly where you deal out all the cards at the beginning of the game. Or where you play until someone gets a certain amount of money.

LovesHashem

Post Tue, Oct 24 2023, 11:39 am
We love monopoly deal

smss

Post Tue, Oct 24 2023, 11:40 am
I agree with your thread title and also love Monopoly Deal!

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 24 2023, 11:41 am
AlwaysGrateful wrote:
I was also going to suggested Monopoly Deal, my kids have loved it for years.

For board games...Othello or backgammon for a two-person game. Life is long but not as long as monopoly, and has the same feel. Chinese checkers (but choking hazards if you have little ones).

You can also play a shortened version of monopoly where you deal out all the cards at the beginning of the game. Or where you play until someone gets a certain amount of money.

Life I remember from when I was a kid, but not enough. Does anyone know if there's a Hebrew version an if it would be appropriate for chareidi kids? (All I remember is the families and jobs- would chareidi kids relate to it?)

I really like those shortened versions. I'll see how the kids take them. Thanks!

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 24 2023, 11:42 am
Okay, wow, looks like Monopoly Deal is the next purchase, thanks all! Would still love more non-Monopoly suggestions!

amother
Coral

Post Tue, Oct 24 2023, 11:43 am
Stratego
Life
Sorry
Ticket to ride junior
Cover your assets (card game)
Racko
Blokus

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 24 2023, 11:55 am
amother Coral wrote:
Stratego
Life
Sorry
Ticket to ride junior
Racko
Blokus

Sorry is another one we have 3 versions of. But the rest I will look into. Thanks!

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 24 2023, 11:56 am
amother Coral wrote:
Stratego
Life
Sorry
Ticket to ride junior
Racko
Blokus

Since these are interesting names... anyone know if there's a Hebrew version of these and can you tell me the name?

Kraizy

Post Tue, Oct 24 2023, 12:01 pm
Stratego, battleship, checkers, Othello, perpetual commotion, cover your assets, slamwhich.

amother
DarkYellow

Post Tue, Oct 24 2023, 12:04 pm
My kids love life, mancala, stratego, sorry, Othello, checkers, they like top trump lately and I for a few different topics for them, monopoly (I often play on shabbos with my son. We hold we can play)

dena613

Post Tue, Oct 24 2023, 12:16 pm
Monopoly deal
Azul
Cover your assets
Ticket to ride

dena613

Post Tue, Oct 24 2023, 12:18 pm
amother OP wrote:
Since these are interesting names... anyone know if there's a Hebrew version of these and can you tell me the name?

Cover your assets no reading necessary
Ticket to ride only need to read names of cities (about 40, but they can become like memorized sight words)

dena613

Post Tue, Oct 24 2023, 12:19 pm
No words on azul

Also don't need to really need to know how to read for Monopoly deal. It's names of streets but who cares. It's Abt colors

amother
Candycane

Post Tue, Oct 24 2023, 12:20 pm
Mancala is a great one, I saw they sell it in osher ad for 50 shek.

dena613

Post Tue, Oct 24 2023, 12:21 pm
Racko is fun. So numbers not words

Hashemlovesme1

Post Tue, Oct 24 2023, 12:28 pm
Rummikub- All numbers and colors
Scrabble- comes in Hebrew
Bananagrams- if you can’t find in Hebrew, just use scrabble pieces
Blokus- just colors and shapes

zoom

Post Tue, Oct 24 2023, 12:31 pm
My kids love stratego and rummikub.

Enchanted forest is good too.

Set, brainmaster also great.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children