Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
How to prepare my toddler to be left behind

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 24 2023, 5:06 pm
I'll be going away with my baby for nearly a week and our almost 2 year old is staying home with my husband. How far in advance should I start mentioning this to her and what can I do to help make it easier? She's pretty attached, comes to my bed often at night and prefers me when she's tired/upset. She also really loves the baby and I'm taking that away from her too...I'm nervous she'll be lonely.
Have a few new toys I thought my husband can open when I'm away so there's something new and fun. We'll video call of course. What else?

amother
Camellia

Post Tue, Oct 24 2023, 6:26 pm
Maybe have your husband spend some one on one time with her daily before you leave to acclimate her.

amother
Calendula

Post Tue, Oct 24 2023, 6:30 pm
I don't think an under 2yo will fully grasp the concept so I'm not sure there's so much prep that can be done through talking to her about it

marvinkay

Post Tue, Oct 24 2023, 6:34 pm
Also, video call might make her more upset if she’s seeing you but can’t havevyou

amother
Babypink

Post Tue, Oct 24 2023, 6:36 pm
There isn't really much you can do to prep her in advance, she's very little and has no concept of time. As you leave, you can tell her that you'll be back and that totty will watch her.
Make sure you have all her favorite and usual foods prepared and that DH should follow her routine as closely as possible.

amother
Oldlace

Post Tue, Oct 24 2023, 6:42 pm
I found the song from Daniel tiger “grownups come back” to be really really helpful

scintilla

Post Tue, Oct 24 2023, 6:59 pm
Have you heard of social stories? Make her a little "book" explaining what's happening (you're going, so is baby, Tatty is staying, routine will be xyz, you'll come back on abc, you love her so much and so does tatty/baby etc, mommy always comes back), illustrations can be stick figures, photos of you/her/tatty or not at all. Read it with her. It really helps!!

If she's anything like the children I've worked with or my own toddlers, she'll want to read it over and over again!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics