Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Ani living article on screen time causing autism
Previous  1  2  3  Next

scintilla

Post Sat, Oct 28 2023, 8:26 pm
amother Lotus wrote:
This alone should show you how what this woman is spewing makes no sense.

I believe it was mentioned that the non Jewish videos show something new every second or two, which totally overstimulates the brain, and the Jewish videos are supposed to be better in this regard.

amother
Blueberry

Post Sat, Oct 28 2023, 8:32 pm
amother Gladiolus wrote:
Didn't read the article and doubt screen time causes ASD, though too much is really not good for kids. However, the fact that Jewish movies might not be as bad may be factual. And that would be because they have lower quality graphics.

Look at Cocomelon, which is terrible for your kid's brain. The background images keep changing, the POV/ camera angle jumps around, super bright colors that keep flashing .. it's terrible for their attention span.

By the same logic, a TV show like Mr. Rogers neighborhood would also not be as bad. It's a slower pace with stable backgrounds and point of views, normal color saturation...

Editing to add: it's basically the more overstimulating the screen time, the worse it is.

Although the article it didn't mention Cocomelon per-se (it alluded to it) all you mom know it has an addictive quality to it that kids keep wanting more and more they can watch it for hours! The screen changes every couple seconds and it is designed to get your kids addicted to it! My granddaughter literally had withdrawal from it as my daughter saw how much it was controlling her life. She would tantrum until she got to watch it. It's not normal for kids to be on the devices before they can learn to properly play with other children and learn the social skills they need to learn.
As a therapist, I saw this happening as long as 10 yrs ago. I saw a mom toilet training her toddler with phone in hand. He was accustomed to being on the phone and had some delays both in his speech development, social skills and poor attention span. At that point I was thinking that we are going to see alot more of this in upcoming years as social skills will need to be taught rather than learned naturally. A child might be able to know his numbers and letters, but not be able to follow basic directions or attendto a task. Do not poo-poo this study it's real in my opinion!

amother
Lemon

Post Sat, Oct 28 2023, 10:07 pm
The article was very specific that it may cause autism- like symptoms that respond very well once the parents stop screen time & increase interactions. It was very clear that they don't imply that it causes real/ classic/ typical autism.

Re jewish videos, low budget shows don't change as fast as say Disney shows so it makes sense they are less damaging.

amother
Skyblue

Post Sat, Oct 28 2023, 10:18 pm
As usual ami manages to make me feel guilty about something over which I have no control

amother
Mintcream

Post Sat, Oct 28 2023, 10:19 pm
amother Firebrick wrote:
She addresses that actually. She says that parents are often so proud of how their child knows all the ABCs, states, lyrics etc.

But learning by rote is not a key skill at that age. No three year old needs to know anything that's on an educational video.

It's much more important to be able to answer "How was your day?" or to make functional use of toys.

I'm not saying I agree or disagree, just that she addresses that.

You and her are not understanding I’m talking about kids that learn to read, add, and ask questions on a deep level, who then grow up to be more intelligent than their peers. I disagree that it’s a bad thing. Sure if they only have screen time and never play that’s a problem, but a combination of normal play plus educational learning is not a negative.

Einikel

Post Sat, Oct 28 2023, 10:28 pm
amother Skyblue wrote:
As usual ami manages to make me feel guilty about something over which I have no control

Why is it not in your control? I’ll admit that I used to allow a lot of screen time, especially during pregnancy but my kids haven’t watched in months and their behavior changed dramatically. ( and they didn’t have any crazy ‘symptoms’)

amother
Skyblue

Post Sat, Oct 28 2023, 10:41 pm
Einikel wrote:
Why is it not in your control? I’ll admit that I used to allow a lot of screen time, especially during pregnancy but my kids haven’t watched in months and their behavior changed dramatically. ( and they didn’t have any crazy ‘symptoms’)

My son is quite disabled. He had zero screen time till well after he was profoundly symptomatic.
So tell me why is my son’s disability my fault.

amother
Lemon

Post Sat, Oct 28 2023, 10:48 pm
amother Skyblue wrote:
My son is quite disabled. He had zero screen time till well after he was profoundly symptomatic.

Yall missed the point. Why bash ami when you haven't read the article? It didn't claim it causes autism. & all of you saying you grew up watching TV, did you have those overestimating flashing shows as an infant & 1- year old? It's a fairly new phenomenon in the past 10 years or so.

Einikel

Post Sat, Oct 28 2023, 10:50 pm
amother Skyblue wrote:

Sorry, I misunderstood. I thought you meant you didn’t have control over your child’s screen time.
Sorry about your son 🫂

amother
Coral

Post Sat, Oct 28 2023, 10:54 pm
Very unprofessional.

I started reading it but just stopped after first paragraph.

I have a child whose has ASD. diagnosed at 2.5.

They had no business to publish that article.
It had no basis & bottom line screen time is bad for every child.

amother
Hyacinth

Post Sat, Oct 28 2023, 11:00 pm
Autism definitely causes screen time. Autistic people of all ages often have special interests, and very often the way they engage with it is by watching videos or (in older childhood and adulthood) researching online.

amother
Clematis

Post Sat, Oct 28 2023, 11:07 pm
amother Coral wrote:
Very unprofessional.

I started reading it but just stopped after first paragraph.

I have a child whose has ASD. diagnosed at 2.5.

They had no business to publish that article.
It had no basis & bottom line screen time is bad for every child.

It's not unprofessional. It's actually quite informative and makes alot of sense. No where in that article is it written that too much screen time for little kids causes autism. They write that if babies & little kids get too much screen time (babies & little kids shouldn't get screen time at all), it may cause behaviors similar to autism symptoms and may cause babies to not reach milestones when they're supposed to. It may hinder their development and cause behavioral issues. This really makes sense if you think in to it.

amother
Tealblue

Post Sat, Oct 28 2023, 11:37 pm
amother Mintcream wrote:
Nonsense and impossible to reach such a conclusion. But lots of screen time is not good it should be used sparingly and only for educational things. Mindless sitting in front of a screen for hours is not good for anyone.

At the same time I know kids that had a lot of educational screen time and surpassed their peers in intelligence.

Intelligence or knowledge? Not the same thing.

amother
NeonPurple

Post Sun, Oct 29 2023, 1:45 am
Who cares? Just Cut off screen time & reconnect with the kids.

No screens allowed in my house on school days

amother
Burntblack

Post Sun, Oct 29 2023, 2:13 am
amother Clematis wrote:
It's not unprofessional. It's actually quite informative and makes alot of sense. No where in that article is it written that too much screen time for little kids causes autism. They write that if babies & little kids get too much screen time (babies & little kids shouldn't get screen time at all), it may cause behaviors similar to autism symptoms and may cause babies to not reach milestones when they're supposed to. It may hinder their development and cause behavioral issues. This really makes sense if you think in to it.

So why mention the autism piece? describe the symptoms and say they are reversible. It drives me nuts when people label symptoms as "autism" without understanding autism. If it causes specific reversible behaviors, describe those behaviors and suggest how to revers them.

#BestBubby

Post Sun, Oct 29 2023, 2:28 am
Screen time has decreased attention spans
And that is not good.

I watched a lot of TV as a kid, but no video games.

I was a big book worm and that is good for attention span, so it canceled out the tv watching.

Get your kids hooked on books.

But not the comic books. real books.

amother
DarkYellow

Post Sun, Oct 29 2023, 2:41 am
More and more evidence of genetic mutations causing autism. Darling, the Ami is not where you go for scientific research and reporting. It's for sensationalism and entertainment. Screen time can cause behaviors and isn't good for anyone. It cannot CAUSE your child's autism. Noone wall away with guilt please.

#BestBubby

Post Sun, Oct 29 2023, 3:02 am
Vaccjnes are main cause of autism.

No such thing as a genetic mutation epidemic, impossible.

Blaming screens is just to deflect blame from the real cause.

smss

Post Sun, Oct 29 2023, 3:04 am
#BestBubby wrote:
Vaccjnes are main cause of autism.

No such thing as a genetic mutation epidemic, impossible.

Blaming screens is just to deflect blame from the real cause.

Just curious, what do you blame autism in unvaccinated children on?

#BestBubby

Post Sun, Oct 29 2023, 3:10 am
smss wrote:
Just curious, what do you blame autism in unvaccinated children on?

What is the autism rate in unvaccinated children?
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics