Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
What are the girls usually doing after seminary
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 29 2023, 10:31 pm
Yeshivish and MO?

amother
Lightgreen

Post Mon, Oct 30 2023, 2:58 am
More MO will go to Stern, secular colleges.
More yeshivish will go to a place like Touro or do one of those real quicky degrees (the kind that not every place accepts for grad school or for a job...especially outside frum programs and employers. Friends of mine couldnt get in anywhere after attending different programs- called it a waste of money). Some will teach or work in a frum place at the same time, depending on schedules.
Very yeshivish will teach and not go to a college program. Some may take a sheitel course.

essie14

Post Mon, Oct 30 2023, 4:48 am
College or straight to work.

amother
Heather

Post Mon, Oct 30 2023, 6:39 am
amother Lightgreen wrote:
More yeshivish will go to a place like Touro or do one of those real quicky degrees (the kind that not every place accepts for grad school or for a job...especially outside frum programs and employers. Friends of mine couldnt get in anywhere after attending different programs- called it a waste of money). Some will teach or work in a frum place at the same time, depending on schedules.
Very yeshivish will teach and not go to a college program. Some may take a sheitel course.

OP I am not one to disagree with others but what you wrote is not true that it's a waste of time. My dd is in a short degree program going for one of the therapies and B"H she is already making a nice amount of money. Not a waste of time at all!!! It all depends what you do with the degree and how far you take it. Now a days it makes no difference if it's a mainstream college or an online college.

My daughter is very yeshivish and doing college please double check your facts!!! Also, plenty of yeshivish chassidish women/girls are very successful in their careers.

Please don't put "labels" or stigma on groups of people.

I know plenty of people that are yeshivish that have become top in their fields bookkeeping, nursing, therapies etc. and they go to various types of colleges. One or two years with job experience and no one really cares about which college you went to.

amother
Jade

Post Mon, Oct 30 2023, 7:44 am
My yeshivish daughters and their classmates are working in offices (the motivated ones are making good money) or teaching. About a third are doing college as well.

amother
Grape

Post Mon, Oct 30 2023, 7:58 am
I would say, depending on location, the majority of yeshivish aren't doing college and are just going straight to office jobs that train on the job (medical billing, office manager, etc) or get some type of certification for graphic design or aba. Most careers that work with a "mommy" schedule aren't great returns on investment in a degree. I work in an office and we've hired several people leaving special Ed in the past few months

amother
Lotus

Post Mon, Oct 30 2023, 7:59 am
Have her ask friends. Most of these responses don’t fit reality of most and are based on stereotypes and biases from people who have no clue.

amother
Peachpuff

Post Mon, Oct 30 2023, 8:19 am
amother Grape wrote:
I would say, depending on location, the majority of yeshivish aren't doing college and are just going straight to office jobs that train on the job (medical billing, office manager, etc) or get some type of certification for graphic design or aba. Most careers that work with a "mommy" schedule aren't great returns on investment in a degree. I work in an office and we've hired several people leaving special Ed in the past few months

How does this work?
I am in that boat and considering doing this too but I have so many hesitations.
My resume obviously has nothing to do with office work. Do they get entry level jobs that would get straight out of seminary?
Does it help to have a resume full of schools I worked in as special ed?
Do they end up liking it better?
Anything else you can tell me about this transition?

amother
Silver

Post Mon, Oct 30 2023, 10:31 am
I've seen some yeshivish girls attend a commuter campus of our local state university while living at home with parents.

amother
Maize

Post Mon, Oct 30 2023, 10:33 am
amother Lightgreen wrote:

This is ridiculous. Touro is not a "real quicky" degree. I actually know people that did not go touro because they wanted to finish faster and touro took too long.

If anything, people who go to touro are extremely hardworking. Most are working full time during the day and taking 12-18 credits on top of that at night and on sundays. As opposed to lazy college students who for some reason need an entire week to take 4 measly classes

And plenty of MO go to touro, especially to the manhattan campus for girls and queens campus for boys.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 30 2023, 10:56 am
amother Maize wrote:
This is ridiculous. Touro is not a "real quicky" degree. I actually know people that did not go touro because they wanted to finish faster and touro took too long.

If anything, people who go to touro are extremely hardworking. Most are working full time during the day and taking 12-18 credits on top of that at night and on sundays. As opposed to lazy college students who for some reason need an entire week to take 4 measly classes

And plenty of MO go to touro, especially to the manhattan campus for girls and queens campus for boys.

For a yeshivish girl who lives out of town does the Touro program have a dorm? Is Touro very different than stern?

amother
Aubergine

Post Mon, Oct 30 2023, 11:02 am
amother OP wrote:
For a yeshivish girl who lives out of town does the Touro program have a dorm? Is Touro very different than stern?

Generally Touro Flatbush gets a more yeshivish crowd than Touro Manhattan. Stern is the sister school to YU, so it generally gets a more MO crowd but there is obviously a range. Pretty sure Touro Manhatten has a dorm but not Flatbush, but feel free to fact check me. Stern has a dorm in NYC

boysrus

Post Mon, Oct 30 2023, 11:06 am
amother OP wrote:

Touro has a dorm for girls. Its called LCW, Landers college for women.
The girls who go there are not usually yeshivish, but most are good frum girls.

amother
Cappuccino

Post Mon, Oct 30 2023, 11:09 am
Touro Manhattan definitely has a dorm, and it is well used. Touro Manhattan has a pretty varied student base at this point- a lot of girls who are RWMO and would otherwise go to Stern are at Touro because it's much cheaper vheaper and because it doesn't have Stern's restrictuve residency requirement. There is also an entire online division that you can use along with being a Touo Manhattan student to help get access to specific classes and time slots; it also helps with summer classes if the OOT student is spending summer at home.

baltomom

Post Mon, Oct 30 2023, 11:14 am
WITS (formerly Maalot) Baltimore has a college program that incorporates limudei kodesh and chol classes; girls can get a degree in 1-2 years (depending on college credits from HS, seminary, taking summer semester, etc). It is a respected degree from which girls can get accepted to graduate school. They don't have a dorm but I think some girls from OOT communities come and board at local families.

Chayalle

Post Mon, Oct 30 2023, 11:18 am
amother Maize wrote:

Agree. My sister went to Touro, and then medical school, she's a doctor. My niece went to Touro and is in their PA school. Not quick, she's working very hard.
My other sister, OTOH, decided that Touro takes too long, and got her Computer Science degree in a quicker program. Same for me.

Chayalle

Post Mon, Oct 30 2023, 11:20 am
To answer OP's question, I have two post-sem daughters. One went straight to work after seminary (I actually found her her job thru someone posting on imamother!) and does medical billing. The other got her degree thru Sarah Schenirer and is working in a therapy-related field.

amother
PlumPink

Post Mon, Oct 30 2023, 11:24 am
Chayalle wrote:
Agree. My sister went to Touro, and then medical school, she's a doctor. My niece went to Touro and is in their PA school. Not quick, she's working very hard.
My other sister, OTOH, decided that Touro takes too long, and got her Computer Science degree in a quicker program. Same for me.

Agree that Touro is not a quickie degree. But also agree that one needs to tread carefully with the quickie degrees (from the other places). Depending on the field, some are not accepted everywhere and some fields are oversaturated and hard to find good jobs in. If all girls are targeting the same few fields, it only makes sense that they become saturated and thereby lowering the vamue of their degree.

Computer science is an exception, since its currently a very hot field. It's also a field where one can easily prove themselves from the start.

mha3484

Post Mon, Oct 30 2023, 11:24 am
Another option is what used to be TI in Chicago which I think has a new name but the tuition is super reasonable, they have a dorm and I know a lot of my friends daughters graduated without it taking a full 4 years.

amother
Maize

Post Mon, Oct 30 2023, 11:32 am
amother PlumPink wrote:
Agree that Touro is not a quickie degree. But also agree that one needs to tread carefully with the quickie degrees (from the other places). Depending on the field, some are not accepted everywhere and some fields are oversaturated and hard to find good jobs in. If all girls are targeting the same few fields, it only makes sense that they become saturated and thereby lowering the vamue of their degree.

Computer science is an exception, since its currently a very hot field. It's also a field where one can easily prove themselves from the start.

Most of the "quickie" programs have their own graduate programs and they accept their undergrad students. So it's not an issue getting accepted.
And only undergrad can be fast tracked (to an extent). Graduate programs cannot, each field has specific requirements that are the same for all graduate programs.

Which fields do you think are saturated and hard to find jobs in?
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics