Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
What are the girls usually doing after seminary
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Oak

Post Mon, Oct 30 2023, 11:33 am
amother Lightgreen wrote:
More MO will go to Stern, secular colleges.
More yeshivish will go to a place like Touro or do one of those real quicky degrees (the kind that not every place accepts for grad school or for a job...especially outside frum programs and employers. Friends of mine couldnt get in anywhere after attending different programs- called it a waste of money). Some will teach or work in a frum place at the same time, depending on schedules.
Very yeshivish will teach and not go to a college program. Some may take a sheitel course.
Not true about the very yeshivish. Most of them take office jobs now.

mha3484

Post Mon, Oct 30 2023, 11:35 am
I wonder if location matters too. I live in the Midwest and I have a lot of friends with girls that age and its half/half who do TI for a profession or go straight to an office job or teach and most of these are pretty yeshivish.

amother
Lemonlime

Post Mon, Oct 30 2023, 11:37 am
In school or working or a combination of the two.

I don't think it differs much between MO or yeshivish. The only difference would be where they are going to school or the type of job.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 30 2023, 12:46 pm
What does TI mean?

mha3484

Post Mon, Oct 30 2023, 12:57 pm
amother OP wrote:
What does TI mean?

Chicago has a women's program that is part of Skokie Yeshiva. It used to be called TI I think this past summer it changed its name to something else. I think TI was teachers institute but now they offer way more majors hence the name change. But its a good option for a frum girl who wants a professional degree in a nice environment.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 30 2023, 1:08 pm
mha3484 wrote:
Chicago has a women's program that is part of Skokie Yeshiva. It used to be called TI I think this past summer it changed its name to something else. I think TI was teachers institute but now they offer way more majors hence the name change. But its a good option for a frum girl who wants a professional degree in a nice environment.

Do they have accommodations for out of town girls?

mha3484

Post Mon, Oct 30 2023, 1:11 pm
There's a dorm. I know the dorm family a little and they are really really nice. They live in the same building as the girls which I think is great.

User_6650

Post Mon, Oct 30 2023, 1:33 pm
What options are there for post-sem girls who want to further their education but don't have the qualifications to get accepted in any mainstream college?

amother
Aubergine

Post Mon, Oct 30 2023, 1:44 pm
User_6650 wrote:
What options are there for post-sem girls who want to further their education but don't have the qualifications to get accepted in any mainstream college?

What do you mean by mainstream college? If a girl graduated high school with a reasonable GPA, she can take the ACT/SAT (if she didn't already in high school) and get into college. Many frum programs don't even require SAT/ACT just a high school diploma
If you want to go to an Ivy League that's obviously a different story, but within the range of where frum girls tend to go, you don't need very many qualifications

amother
NeonBlue

Post Mon, Oct 30 2023, 1:46 pm
User_6650 wrote:

Do you mean, they don't have a high school diploma? In that case, they should take the GED exam--if they pass, it will be the equivalent of a diploma. It's really not a big deal. They may need tutoring ahead of time if their education so far isn't enough to prepare them, but plenty of people go this route, not just frum students.

BTW, post sem girls don't only go through frum programs. Plenty go to "regular" colleges including community colleges for starters or state universities etc

Chayalle

Post Mon, Oct 30 2023, 1:47 pm
User_6650 wrote:

What qualifications are you referring to? Do you mean a high school diploma? Some may need to take their GED if that's the case, and then apply to college.

amother
Orange

Post Mon, Oct 30 2023, 2:43 pm
Both of my post seminary yeshivish daughters took teaching jobs after seminary.
One also got her special ed undergrad and masters at TTI

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 30 2023, 2:50 pm
mha3484 wrote:
when is the deadline for applying for next year?

mha3484

Post Mon, Oct 30 2023, 2:52 pm
They are on the HTC website if you google HTC Skokie there's a tab on top for the womens college. It has all the information you need.

zigi

Post Mon, Oct 30 2023, 7:48 pm
User_6650 wrote:

Cuny has classes if you need extra help. You can start at a community College and then transfer to a bigger school

amother
Dahlia

Post Mon, Oct 30 2023, 8:55 pm
mha3484 wrote:
They are on the HTC website if you google HTC Skokie there's a tab on top for the womens college. It has all the information you need.

I went to TI and lived in the dorm. It is now a part of Touro so you get the benefits of a bigger place and the benefits of a small cozy school in the Midwest. I finished my degree in about 3.5 years but did not have a lot of sem credits. Many girls did it in closer to 2 years with sem credits and taking a full course load over two summers. I loved it and would highly recommend for all types (RWMO to yeshivish to chabad to chasidish do well there). Now I have a professional job in the corporate world and earn well and didn't have to go to secular college and sacrifice my standards.

amother
Brickred

Post Mon, Oct 30 2023, 11:18 pm
amother Maize wrote:
This is ridiculous. Touro is not a "real quicky" degree. I actually know people that did not go touro because they wanted to finish faster and touro took too long.

If anything, people who go to touro are extremely hardworking. Most are working full time during the day and taking 12-18 credits on top of that at night and on sundays. As opposed to lazy college students who for some reason need an entire week to take 4 measly classes

And plenty of MO go to touro, especially to the manhattan campus for girls and queens campus for boys.

What an obnoxious, ignorant comment. College courses are not remotely the same across the board. Some teach a minute amount of material compared to others. Some are taught at a much higher intellectual level than others.

nylon

Post Tue, Oct 31 2023, 4:31 am
She said Touro OR a quickie degree, so I don't think that poster was claiming Touro was like those BA in 1 year programs.

The difficulty of classes varies by subject and also institution. I went to a large public university (not Ivy League but academically very solid) and the amount of work varied quite a lot. There were definitely classes I could never have done at the super fast pace and there's a reason you can't get your engineering degree in a year. I assure you, the students taking sciences with labs and projects are not lazy, and even the liberal arts students--some of the professors took the work very seriously and we had many papers and a great deal of reading.

amother
DarkOrange

Post Tue, Oct 31 2023, 6:19 am
amother PlumPink wrote:
Agree that Touro is not a quickie degree. But also agree that one needs to tread carefully with the quickie degrees (from the other places). Depending on the field, some are not accepted everywhere and some fields are oversaturated and hard to find good jobs in. If all girls are targeting the same few fields, it only makes sense that they become saturated and thereby lowering the vamue of their degree.

Computer science is an exception, since its currently a very hot field. It's also a field where one can easily prove themselves from the start.

Chiming in:

My husband got into several ivy league graduate/doctoral programs with his 'quicky' TTI undergraduate degree. He needed to take a lot of sciences/labs which he did in our local community college.

My advice: if you know you want to use your undergraduate degree to go on to graduate school, work backwards. Look at your preferred graduate/doctoral programs. What are their requirements? Who are their graduates and professors?

My husband put a lot of time and energy into volunteer work in his field, including volunteering as a research assistant.

amother
Coffee

Post Tue, Oct 31 2023, 6:47 am
Where I live the post sem girls take an office job or assistant job & are obsessed with getting married
It’s pathetic
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics