Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Names in remembrance of the war/matzav.
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 30 2023, 12:23 pm
For a girl, the name Chaya feels perfect. It’s always been one of my favorites, and I haven’t had a chance to use it yet, and on one hand I feel like it’s perfect—life, we live on, Am Yisrael Chai, and also the kedoshim live on in our memory. I’m thinking to combine it with Liba to remember all of the beloved kedoshim as well as our beloved land and our people. But is it true that Chaya also means “animal”?

For a boy, it is harder because I really can’t stand the name Chaim. Walder ruined it for me and I can’t get past that association. We’re in a pretty chareidi community so I don’t feel like I could get away with something like Amichai. Just plain Yisrael might be an option but I don’t think my husband would like it. I would love to hear ideas for both genders.

contextual

Post Mon, Oct 30 2023, 1:13 pm
Shalom/Shulamis?

amother
Brown

Post Mon, Oct 30 2023, 1:16 pm
amother OP wrote:
For a girl, the name Chaya feels perfect. It’s always been one of my favorites, and I haven’t had a chance to use it yet, and on one hand I feel like it’s perfect—life, we live on, Am Yisrael Chai, and also the kedoshim live on in our memory. I’m thinking to combine it with Liba to remember all of the beloved kedoshim as well as our beloved land and our people. But is it true that Chaya also means “animal”?

For a boy, it is harder because I really can’t stand the name Chaim. Walder ruined it for me and I can’t get past that association. We’re in a pretty chareidi community so I don’t feel like I could get away with something like Amichai. Just plain Yisrael might be an option but I don’t think my husband would like it. I would love to hear ideas for both genders.

That is so interesting as I'm having a boy iyh (38 weeks currently) and the name we had in mind (after 2 diff grandfathers) will probably be either Chaim or Chaim Yisrael.
I really didn't think about this connection to Eretz Yisroel but this is making me more excited to give the name now that there is so much more meaning behind it.
Am Yisroel Chai!!!

amother
Pistachio

Post Mon, Oct 30 2023, 1:36 pm
My sons name is Yisrael Shalom. I love it!!! Think it’s perfect for the times now, there should be peace for all of Klal Yisrael.

boysrus

Post Mon, Oct 30 2023, 1:56 pm
Yisroel Chaim might be a good option?

amother
DarkGray

Post Mon, Oct 30 2023, 2:01 pm
My nephew who was born last week in Yerushalayim was named Eliezer Shalom.

amother
Brunette

Post Mon, Oct 30 2023, 2:04 pm
I have a friend whose son is Natan Shalom
Could do Netanel (Nesanel if you're chareidi?) Shalom
Also know a Yosef Simcha
Elyashiv Simcha (but I assume Elyashiv is not chareidi....)

Reality

Post Mon, Oct 30 2023, 2:05 pm
There are people who don't like to use the name Chaya because of the double meaning. You can use Chava instead because Chava was the mother of all human life.

amother
Wandflower

Post Mon, Oct 30 2023, 3:01 pm
The Rachmavstrika Rebbe zt"l who was niftar this year was HaRav Chai Yitzchak Twerski. See how he got the name Chai.

https://mishpacha.com/hidden-I.....ht-3/

amother
Wandflower

Post Mon, Oct 30 2023, 3:02 pm
I know someone named last week Yehoshua Shalom

amother
Maroon

Post Mon, Oct 30 2023, 3:20 pm
Names I think go with this time

Ezra
Gavriel
Nechemia
Azriel

Nechama

amother
Coral

Post Mon, Oct 30 2023, 3:27 pm
amother OP wrote:

I feel the same way about the name Chaim. I used to like it, and considered naming for R' Kanievsky, but... ugh, I just can't. Not anymore.

amother
Bluebell

Post Mon, Oct 30 2023, 4:33 pm
Simcha, since it happened on Simchat Torah (in Israel)

amother
Mayflower

Post Mon, Oct 30 2023, 5:07 pm
Imagine growing up knowing you were named after a massacre.

@op you don't need to use the name chaim, but also I don't think you should give one man the power to "ruin" a very popular, powerful name.

Can you read R chaim kanievsky's biography?
Maybe that'll help give you other associations with the name.

amother
DarkGreen

Post Mon, Oct 30 2023, 5:09 pm
Yosef Shalom. Means He should add peace and also was Rav Elyashiv's name

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 30 2023, 5:44 pm
amother Mayflower wrote:
Imagine growing up knowing you were named after a massacre.

@op you don't need to use the name chaim, but also I don't think you should give one man the power to "ruin" a very popular, powerful name.

Can you read R chaim kanievsky's biography?
Maybe that'll help give you other associations with the name.

Rolling Eyes Have you ever read Tanach? Sarah named her child after her disbelieving laughter when she found out she would have a child in her old age. Rochel named her first child “give me another one” and her second “son of my affliction”. Nobody is talking about naming a child Massacre, we are talking about exactly the opposite: that we continue to live and have children and serve Hashem.

As for R Chaim, if I would name after him I would probably give all three names but then call my child Shmaryahu, because people I know who go by their middle names tell me it’s a lot of hassle.

amother
Dustypink

Post Mon, Oct 30 2023, 5:53 pm
Bentzion?

I had a child born in the past week who is named after a family member and we had to add a name. We added Bracha. It felt right for what’s going on now.

Raisin

Post Mon, Oct 30 2023, 5:57 pm
I remember staying with a family who called their child Shalom Yisrael. It was over 25 years ago, must have been because of the Gulf war or intafada.

amother
Currant

Post Mon, Oct 30 2023, 6:04 pm
What about Tikvah and emunah?

amother
Bellflower

Post Mon, Oct 30 2023, 6:23 pm
I was thinking Bentzion also.

Not expecting, but if I have another boy I would want to name him something to do with this matzav bc it is a gezeira on all klal Yisroel and we are all impacted
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names