Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Ongoing v@ginal irritation and discharge in toddler
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 31 2023, 8:37 pm
My 3 year old started having greenish/yellowish vaginal discharge a few months ago. Sometimes she also complains that it hurts when she urinates.
I showed to pediatrician who said it's probably fungal and gave me anti fungal. It didn't help. He checked her urine, it came back ok. We then did pin worm test twice and it came back negative as well. He brushed off my concern and said it's probably irritation and I can use hydrocortisone cream if I want.

By now, this is going on for months. There are times that it's better and times that it's worse. But I'm not happy with his answer and would like to get to the bottom of this.

Any insight?

amother
Scarlet

Post Tue, Oct 31 2023, 8:39 pm
Go to a pediatric gynecologist actually maybe urologist sounds like the urethra I assumed you meant her actual v-gina

naomi2

Post Tue, Oct 31 2023, 9:06 pm
I don't have any medical advice but please don't trust your Dr that it's nothing, get more opinions until you get to the bottom of it. Good luck!

amother
Springgreen

Post Tue, Oct 31 2023, 9:27 pm
It's pretty crazy that your pediatrician is brushing this off when it's obviously not ok. I wonder if something may have possibly gotten inside her vagna? That could cause those symptoms.

amother
Zinnia

Post Tue, Oct 31 2023, 9:41 pm
I have absolutely no specific experience in this area whatsoever, however, I'm throwing this out there because this is what I thought of when reading your post. And if it was my child I would want to know.
Is there any possibility that she is being s-xually abused?

amother
Mint

Post Tue, Oct 31 2023, 9:51 pm
Has a mommy of girls my ggirls have had similar symptoms from:

Pinworms
Yeast infection
Strept!!!

Can always remind her about personal safety but I would not thank unicorns and say abuse

amother
Eggshell

Post Tue, Oct 31 2023, 10:47 pm
go to a pediatric urologist and speak to very knowledgeable nutritionist.

good luck.

Sunny Days

Post Wed, Nov 01 2023, 2:47 am
amother OP wrote:
My 3 year old started having greenish/yellowish vaginal discharge a few months ago. Sometimes she also complains that it hurts when she urinates.
I showed to pediatrician who said it's probably fungal and gave me anti fungal. It didn't help. He checked her urine, it came back ok. We then did pin worm test twice and it came back negative as well. He brushed off my concern and said it's probably irritation and I can use hydrocortisone cream if I want.

By now, this is going on for months. There are times that it's better and times that it's worse. But I'm not happy with his answer and would like to get to the bottom of this.

Any insight?

No answers, but try to stay away from anything with cortisone in that area!
Also, I wonder if adding Apple cider vinegar and or baking soda would help? Maybe a couple drops of tee tree oil too.

In the interim I would try to schedule appts as mentioned upthread.
Hope you get to the bottom of this! Must be tough to deal with this.
Keep us posted if you can.

Eta I meant to say add to bath tub. We do this for dd with urethra irritation.

Last edited by Sunny Days on Wed, Nov 01 2023, 8:43 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Lemon

Post Wed, Nov 01 2023, 8:42 am
My dd had some irritation she stoped wearing underwear with her pjs & I put baking soda in her bath & it cleared up.

Highstrung

Post Wed, Nov 01 2023, 8:48 am
My daughter has this tendency and I had it as a kid too. Doing baths with apple cider vinegar helps the irritation. My pediatrician told me back then that sometimes the PH levels are off , and the apple cider vinegar helps.
My daughter often requests a vinegar bath because it makes her feel much better .
I noticed that the following causes more irritation and smell and sometimes discharge :
If she goes more than a day without a bath
If she stays in the bathtub for more than 10 minutes , especially if the water is soapy , she’ll start complaining of itch, redness and then she sometimes gets the bad smell with discharge.
I also think it may get more irritated when she eats specific foods but I never figured out what those foods are.

But , if this is going on for months and nothing is helping definitely go for a second opinion.

oneofakind

Post Wed, Nov 01 2023, 9:07 am
Try switching to showers. Sitting in dirty water can definitely cause irritation.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 01 2023, 9:04 pm
amother Zinnia wrote:
I have absolutely no specific experience in this area whatsoever, however, I'm throwing this out there because this is what I thought of when reading your post. And if it was my child I would want to know.
Is there any possibility that she is being s-xually abused?

Oh my, you're scaring the daylights out of me.
I'm thinking that technically it's almost impossible. (Since she's been in so many places since it started- school last year, bungalow colony, different school this year...) But how would the two be connected??

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 14 2023, 12:44 am
amother Mint wrote:
Has a mommy of girls my ggirls have had similar symptoms from:

Pinworms
Yeast infection
Strept!!!

Can always remind her about personal safety but I would not thank unicorns and say abuse

How would yeast infection be diagnosed/treated in a toddler?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 15 2023, 1:12 pm
amother OP wrote:
How would yeast infection be diagnosed/treated in a toddler?

Anyone?

oneofakind

Post Wed, Nov 15 2023, 1:16 pm
Same like any other yeast infection.

amother
Springgreen

Post Wed, Nov 15 2023, 1:17 pm
amother OP wrote:
Anyone?

The pediatrician would diagnose and prescribe something. Did you rule out something stuck inside?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 15 2023, 2:14 pm
oneofakind wrote:
Same like any other yeast infection.

Monistat? That's how I treat mine...

Debbig

Post Wed, Nov 15 2023, 2:21 pm
amother OP wrote:
Anyone?

Isn’t your DD’s dr a better place to ask this question?

amother
Firebrick

Post Wed, Nov 15 2023, 2:50 pm
Not sure how to know about a yeast infection, but had the same issue with my daughter a few months ago.
What helped was anti fungal cream, no sitting in a soapy/dirty bath, and wiping with fresh wipes even when just peeing.
But a few weeks later she tested positive for strept, so it could’ve been that all along🤷‍♀️

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 15 2023, 9:02 pm
Debbig wrote:
Isn’t your DD’s dr a better place to ask this question?

He doesn’t seem concerned. See my op for all info…
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics