Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Would you send your child to school?
1  2  3  Next

Would you send your child to school?
yes  
 21%  [ 9 ]
no  
 78%  [ 32 ]
Total Votes : 41

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 02 2023, 10:41 pm
My child has been complaining of being bullied in school for a while now. We got a para at school to be with the class during recess to work on this.
Now my child says that the bullying is happening during class time and the teacher is not doing anything about it.
I spoke to the teacher who said "What can I do, you gave your child a para, of course the kids laugh and tease, your child is special needs."
The teacher could not see that it is the teachers responsibility to stop the bullying.

I'm so distraught, I wish I can keep my child home from school. What would you do?

amother
Blue

Post Thu, Nov 02 2023, 10:44 pm
I would send to school but speak to the principle and not take this hands down. That's no way a teacher should respond.

amother
Opal

No, I wouldn't send. What's the point of going if they're going to suffer all day from bullying? I would prefer to homeschool until I found a school. I did that for one of my kids, stayed home for 1 month and I switched schools.

amother
Milk

I would probably keep my child home while trying to figure out a plan, speak to principal, look in to other schools. ...
I'm sorry you are dealing with this, sounds absolutely horrible Sad

613mitzvahgirl

Post Thu, Nov 02 2023, 10:50 pm
I’m sending you hugs. This is so painful in your child and you and your family. I think you should look into other schools asap. The teacher is surely no help, the paras not helping and the worst part is your kid is in emotional turmoil from all this.

amother
Currant

Post Thu, Nov 02 2023, 10:53 pm
Wow. That teacher doesn’t belong in a classroom. What does the school say the principals and head staff? I feel like there are anti bully programs that come down to schools and train the staff. Does anyone know what I’m taking about?

Can you switch schools do you have other options?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 02 2023, 10:53 pm
The para seems to be helping because when the para is around the bullying is not happening.
I could not understand how there could be name calling during class, when my child told me about that, but now I see how that's possible.

I will be speaking with the principal on Sunday.
Now I'm not sure if I should send my child to school until we have a good plan of how to address this.

amother
Hotpink

Post Thu, Nov 02 2023, 10:57 pm
I would recommend social skill training, so your child builds skills and learns how to react which can often help stop the bullying. A para is not a long term solution.

amother
DarkCyan

Post Thu, Nov 02 2023, 10:58 pm
As a teacher I'm appalled at the teachers comment and lack of responsibility (I pray there is more to the story or a misunderstanding). School is not just about academics, in fact academics is one of the side benefits. Really school is about teaching children how to behave and function as a society. I would definitely take this to the higher ups at this point. You tried going directly to the teacher, it's time now for the higher ups to initiate change. Bullying should not be tolerated in any school. Of course in a Jewish school so much more so!

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 02 2023, 10:59 pm
amother Hotpink wrote:
I would recommend social skill training, so your child builds skills and learns how to react which can often help stop the bullying. A para is not a long term solution.

Yes, we're working on that.
That's not the point of this thread though. If an adult can watch bullying occur and say its ok, then all the social skills in the world won't help. The other children see that its allowed.

scintilla

Post Thu, Nov 02 2023, 11:00 pm
If you're going to speak to the principal on Sunday, I'd definitely keep your child home tomorrow, make it a special time with you & them or just a mental health day. But frame it in a positive way don't let them feel penalized or like they're missing out or did something wrong. I'd probably keep them home till a better plan is put into place but for sure for sure tomorrow (and Sunday if Sunday is a school day).

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 02 2023, 11:00 pm
amother DarkCyan wrote:
As a teacher I'm appalled at the teachers comment and lack of responsibility (I pray there is more to the story or a misunderstanding). School is not just about academics, in fact academics is one of the side benefits. Really school is about teaching children how to behave and function as a society. I would definitely take this to the higher ups at this point. You tried going directly to the teacher, it's time now for the higher ups to initiate change. Bullying should not be tolerated in any school. Of course in a Jewish school so much more so!

Thank you! Unfortunately there is no more to the story. I was very clear that all I want the teacher to do is say "stop" if children are laughing at my child during class. The teacher said that there is nothing to do if I make my child special needs by giving a para then the other kids will laugh and tease.

amother
Petunia

Post Thu, Nov 02 2023, 11:20 pm
amother OP wrote:
Thank you! Unfortunately there is no more to the story. I was very clear that all I want the teacher to do is say "stop" if children are laughing at my child during class. The teacher said that there is nothing to do if I make my child special needs by giving a para then the other kids will laugh and tease.

This teacher needs to be fired or re-trained and should not be allowed into the classroom until they are ready. I would most definitely not send my child back to this teacher until a change is made. My DH was bullied as a child and he still doesn’t want to talk about it. It really affected him, if only his parents would’ve known. Applaud your child for being open with you.

amother
DarkCyan

Post Thu, Nov 02 2023, 11:23 pm
amother OP wrote:

Is there a parallel class your child can be moved to? A teacher who does not stop bullying, isn't really a teacher, and doesn't deserve the title.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 02 2023, 11:25 pm
amother DarkCyan wrote:
Is there a parallel class your child can be moved to? A teacher who does not stop bullying, isn't really a teacher, and doesn't deserve the title.

Unfortunately not, there is only one class in my child's grade.

amother
Bluebell

Post Thu, Nov 02 2023, 11:34 pm
Switch schools

amother
Arcticblue

Post Thu, Nov 02 2023, 11:37 pm
Speak to principal asap about teacher/the incident/and mainly: teacher's response.

For tachlis only. In a nice way that shows you want to work with school and teacher etc.

To help teacher learn HOW to teach and what her job is.

Because that statement and her thought process is NOT anywhere near ok.

Bhatzlacha and hope it will work out all around.

Bullying MUST be stopped IN. ITS. TRACKS.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 02 2023, 11:42 pm
amother Bluebell wrote:
Switch schools

And if there is a teacher in the next school that also doesn't understand bullying? Switch again?

amother
Poinsettia

Post Thu, Nov 02 2023, 11:43 pm
amother OP wrote:

Horrible teacher. Unbelievable. You must let the principal and administration know about this. I would not allow my child to be in this teachers class.
The teacher is a bully.

amother
Brown

Post Fri, Nov 03 2023, 12:03 am
Keep your child home for a few days, tell her she can have a little break. When school reaches out to you tell them what’s happening wait for them to take action.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics