Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
No pot lukshen kugel

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 09 2023, 7:30 pm
Does anyone have a recipe for lukshen kugel (medium egg noodles) that does not require boiling the noodles first?
I'm wishing for a recipe that I can put all ingredients in a 9x13 and just cook...
Thanks!

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 09 2023, 8:47 pm
anyone?

Thisisnotmyreal

Post Thu, Nov 09 2023, 8:48 pm
That sounds like a great idea

amother
Narcissus

Post Thu, Nov 09 2023, 8:51 pm
Not sure how that would work. You need lot of liquid to cook the pasta, and that would make a very mushy, liquidy kugel.

#BestBubby

Post Thu, Nov 09 2023, 8:56 pm
I have one. Soon

amother
Slateblue

Post Thu, Nov 09 2023, 8:58 pm
The white balabustas choice has a yerushalim kugel with raw noodles. Meaning you carmalize the sugar, add water, add noodles and cook it there, then bake.

I do it the opposite usually and just don't it often.

#BestBubby

Post Thu, Nov 09 2023, 9:07 pm
There is a pot but no pre cooking luckshen

Pot

4 cups water
1 c. Sugar
1 tsp salt
Vanilla

Bring to boil, then shut fire.

Add 1 pkg noodles, fine or medium

Add 1/2 c oil

Beat 3 eggs separately, then add, stirring briskly.

Pour into 9 × 13 Pyrex. Bake 350 for one hour

Mock Yerushalmi Version

Omit vanilla

Add pepper, 1/4 - 1/2 tsp

Instead of 1 cup sugar, do 1/2 c sugar + 1/2 c dark brown sugar

Last edited by #BestBubby on Thu, Nov 09 2023, 9:11 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Lightyellow

Post Thu, Nov 09 2023, 9:10 pm
https://www.imamother.com/foru.....73227
You need to mix the wet ingredients and pour them over the noodles.

#BestBubby

Post Thu, Nov 09 2023, 9:22 pm
You can try my recipe pouring 4 cups of boiling water into the 9×13, add sugar, salt, vanilla, stir to dissolve
Add oil, noodles, eggs.

I think it might spill if you do it directly in the 9×13, you need to stir, because it come up near the top.

But you can try.

amother
Blonde

Post Thu, Nov 09 2023, 9:34 pm
Malky knoffler does a lukshen kugel with ramen noodles. I never tried it, so can’t tell you how it tastes.
But here’s how I make mine (for the times I don’t buy…)

1)boil water in electric kettle
Meanwhile-
2)pour bag of lukshen into a wrap n boil bag into a bekela with a bit of oil and salt
3)add hot water to lukshen and cook over low flame
4) mix other ingredients
5)remove bag with fork and dangle under running water to rinse lukshen
6)combine all and bake

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 09 2023, 11:01 pm
Thank you all... Now I need to decide which to try Smile

amother
Bluebell

Post Fri, Nov 10 2023, 1:11 am
If you didn't make it yet
My mother used to just pour boiling water over the noodles in a bowl and let sit until soft I guess? and then drain. She didn’t have a parve pot and she wanted it to be completely parve.

Was a while back so there might possibly be more to it, but I'm pretty sure that's it.

amother
Aconite

Post Fri, Nov 10 2023, 5:17 am
Once I put the Lukshen in a 9x13 and covered it with water. Then I wrapped 2 sheets of foil tightly on top. I put the pan in the preheated oven- I think it was 400 degrees for around 1/2 hour. Then I poured it into a colander. The Lukshen was completely cooked! I placed the Lukshen back into the 9x13, added the other ingredients and mixed. Then back into the oven to bake
It was completely fine and delicious!

For some reason when I tried this method a different time it didn’t come out good. I’m not sure why. I must have done something different than the first time. The taste was good, not the texture.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Nov 10 2023, 10:13 am
#BestBubby wrote:
You can try my recipe pouring 4 cups of boiling water into the 9×13, add sugar, salt, vanilla, stir to dissolve
Add oil, noodles, eggs.

I think it might spill if you do it directly in the 9×13, you need to stir, because it come up near the top.

But you can try.

Tried this this morning but boiled the water directly into the 9x13 then followed above instructions. Baked in that very same pan Smile Mixed again with spatula about half way through the cooking because consistent looked funny. Finished cooking and it looks and smells delicious!!! Hope my kids like!
If this method isn't a hit with the kids perhaps I'll try another one of your suggestions for next week

Amarante

Post Fri, Nov 10 2023, 10:38 am
Boiling noodles is very simple and doesn't require much attention and skill.

Why would you want to produce what is going to be a mediocre result - at best - when it is simple to boil noodles and combine?

This is very different than a lasagna recipe which uses no boil lasagna noodles since lasagna noodles to boil are sometimes difficult to remove and layer and the lasagna results provide excellent results since generally the sauce amount is increased a bit and is absorbed by the pasta. And the pasta is generally a bit thinner as well so that it softens and cooks very well using this technique.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Nov 10 2023, 10:45 am
looking for a way to make without dirtying the pot that I boil the noodles in and the strainer to strain them in. I don't have a dishwasher and the day is quite short.
If it won't taste good obviously won't make again Smile
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics