Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Exclusively breastfeeding 8 m o- when start solid
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 15 2023, 3:40 pm
8 m o Baby is still gaining beautifully and all is well she seems content too

Any reason I need to start solids already?

I feel like why rock the both if she's happy but wondering if this will affect her long term or short term

gootlfriends

Post Wed, Nov 15 2023, 3:48 pm
In my experience babies under 1 don't need food. It's exposure. If they show interest and sit up independently you offer soft, easy to chew table food.

mushkamothers

Post Wed, Nov 15 2023, 3:50 pm
Benefits for oral motor skills for speech, sensory exposure, hand coordination (when doing baby led weaning not purees)
And I'd keep an eye if she shows NO interest in food

amother
Acacia

Post Wed, Nov 15 2023, 4:00 pm
I do not believe babies who are gaining properly need food under one years old
I do think that they need to learn to chew etc to develop their muscles for eating properly
It’s very important for proper speech
But you don’t have to feed all the time, just whenever you’re in the mood

amother
Amethyst

Post Wed, Nov 15 2023, 4:15 pm
mushkamothers wrote:
Benefits for oral motor skills for speech, sensory exposure, hand coordination (when doing baby led weaning not purees)
And I'd keep an eye if she shows NO interest in food

Exactly this. You're not going to rock the boat by introducing solids, you're going to help your baby develop skills through exposure. It's doesn't need to be a huge amount of food. It takes time until solids becomes a substantial part of their diet, and starting the process too late can have adverse effects on several areas of development.

amother
Slateblue

Post Wed, Nov 15 2023, 4:26 pm
As soon as they can sit on their own I do baby led weaning (even though I nurse until around 2). Just watch them carefully. So many benefits to starting early.

amother
Tealblue

Post Wed, Nov 15 2023, 4:28 pm
gootlfriends wrote:
In my experience babies under 1 don't need food. It's exposure. If they show interest and sit up independently you offer soft, easy to chew table food.

Wow first time I’m hearing this. I also exclusively breastfeed but I start puréed foods at 6 months

amother
Cherry

Post Wed, Nov 15 2023, 4:40 pm
I started solids at about 6-7 months. If I put all the food she actually swallowed back in a jar, maybe I would have 3 jars worth. She nursed until she was almost 2. She ate finger foods-predominantly off of mine and DH’s plate, while she spatzired around the dining room, as she hated being trapped in a high chair. Currently she is 22 yo and B”H has no food issues. She is confident, eats what she is served, and does not have body image issues. I am not saying my way is the right way. I am saying trust your gut and you don’t need to be ridged about what the “rules” are. Less stress for you and baby make for a better situation than stressfully following the “experts”

Brit in Israel

Post Wed, Nov 15 2023, 5:08 pm
Like everyone says start now for the muscles.
One of my babies had terrible gag reflex of any food including puree in the mouth. Because we started at an early enough age we were able to stop it slowly and early enough. BH she is eating so nicely now.

All you need to do is give 2 spoons of puree or a easy solid like rice cakes. It shouldn't effect the nursing at all.

amother
Slategray

Post Wed, Nov 15 2023, 5:11 pm
gootlfriends wrote:

Only offering soft food is not good they don’t gain anything. It’s best to offer all textures they can use their gums to chew. Look up baby led weaning for safe sizes.

amother
Slategray

Post Wed, Nov 15 2023, 5:12 pm
Brit in Israel wrote:
Like everyone says start now for the muscles.
One of my babies had terrible gag reflex of any food including puree in the mouth. Because we started at an early enough age we were able to stop it slowly and early enough. BH she is eating so nicely now.

All you need to do is give 2 spoons of puree or an easy solid like rice cakes. It shouldn't effect the nursing at all.

Puree didn’t actually help muscles, you need to offer real food for that

amother
Magenta

Post Wed, Nov 15 2023, 5:30 pm
My kid who couldn't start solids till a year had/has speech issues. They're not definitely related, but there a good chance. Start offering food to use the muscles

amother
Denim

Post Wed, Nov 15 2023, 6:52 pm
For allergy reasons it’s important to start food early. I’m confused why people wait so long to introduce it? What’s the point? Obviously the bulk of their nutrition comes from nursing or formula, but why wouldn’t you give regular food too?

amother
Holly

Post Wed, Nov 15 2023, 7:24 pm
amother Denim wrote:
For allergy reasons it’s important to start food early. I’m confused why people wait so long to introduce it? What’s the point? Obviously the bulk of their nutrition comes from nursing or formula, but why wouldn’t you give regular food too?

Some people want to nurse clean, some are just overwhelmed and it’s another mess/ hassle.

Personally my baby has been showing interest since 5m, started her at 6 with BLW- I put her in high chair first once then starting 7m ish twice a day and give her food to chew on or mush on a spoon…. She definitely nurses a bit less but idk how much so (no less feeds but feels less to me). Still nurses lots though.

amother
Carnation

Post Wed, Nov 15 2023, 7:34 pm
I am a SLP focused on feeding. I still recommend parents wait until a child is 12 months. I don't know why pediatricians say 4 months its ridiculous. By 12 months a baby should meet the criteria for safe eating.

amother
Holly

Post Wed, Nov 15 2023, 7:37 pm
amother Carnation wrote:
I am a SLP focused on feeding. I still recommend parents wait until a child is 12 months. I don't know why pediatricians say 4 months its ridiculous. By 12 months a baby should meet the criteria for safe eating.

12 is pretty extreme. My kids are early overall so I think their interest in food by 6m is a part of that but by 8/9 months I think (and current research RE development and allergies supports) most kids should be exposed to real food and the major allergens

amother
Carnation

Post Wed, Nov 15 2023, 7:40 pm
amother Holly wrote:
12 is pretty extreme. My kids are early overall so I think their interest in food by 6m is a part of that but by 8/9 months I think (and current research RE development and allergies supports) most kids should be exposed to real food and the major allergens

BH it works for you. For my clients we start around 12 months and it works for them

amother
NeonPink

Post Wed, Nov 15 2023, 7:46 pm
amother Tealblue wrote:
Wow first time I’m hearing this. I also exclusively breastfeed but I start puréed foods at 6 months
If baby is eating solids then they aren’t exclusively breastfeeding;)

I would offer solids and see if they’re interested or not. If not, don’t worry about it.

amother
Amethyst

Post Wed, Nov 15 2023, 7:52 pm
amother Carnation wrote:

What is the 12 month recommendation based on?

amother
Watermelon

Post Wed, Nov 15 2023, 7:58 pm
amother Carnation wrote:

I don't think this is good advice. What's your basis for waiting until 12 months? There are some very solid reasons for starting at 6 months. 4 months is ridiculous yes I agree, although sometimes it is called for, for medical reasons (reflux is one that I've seen personally, I was really against it but it did help). 6-12 months is an important window and it concerns me that a professional in this area is recommending something so drastic.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics