Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Classroom discipline —what works?

thegiver

Post Sun, Nov 19 2023, 12:00 am
Curious for different ages what makes the chatty, chutzpadik kids stop—especially when they lack kovod for the teacher? (If the teacher is inexperienced or young or just not worthy of kavod in their eyes) — what makes a teacher worthy of kavod in the eyes of an elementary middle school and high schooler?

I for one think it’s being strict, having yiras shomoyim, beauty, and not getting angry. (Maybe only pretending to be angry)

Wondering if we can learn anything from the public school system? How do they support their teachers when children repeatedly disrupt class? (Anyone here a teacher in public school or grew up in public school system?)

nicole81

Post Sun, Nov 19 2023, 12:36 am
Forming a relationship with the child is the #1 way to manage them in class. Spend time outside of the period getting to know them. Point out positives. Strictness, whatever that means, doesn't work. Kids respect adults when they feel respected by us.

TwinsMommy

Post Mon, Nov 20 2023, 8:46 pm
I'm a fan of Fred Jones' methods. PAT, responsibility training, etc. https://www.fredjones.com/posi.....ement

smss

Post Mon, Nov 20 2023, 8:53 pm
What do you mean by beauty? Like physical beauty? 🤔

I think it's a combination of relationship and clear expectations that are consistently upheld.

amother
Cadetblue

Post Mon, Nov 20 2023, 8:57 pm
OP:
"I for one think it’s being strict, having yiras shomoyim, beauty, and not getting angry. (Maybe only pretending to be angry)"

What is strict?
How does a teacher show yiras shomayim in order to maintain control?
What do you mean by beauty? Like if I wear gorgeous stunning in style clothes and a perfect sheitel and perfect makeup?

OK.
My thoughts.

(First year teaching doesn't count as to classroom control, etc., so if that's what you're wondering about, give the teacher another year! So many kinks work themselves out with experience.)

Here's my mehalech.
I've been teaching upper elementary for close to 10 years.

A successful teacher is there to make the classroom environment physically and emotionally safe, educational, and fun.

Is relatable and engaging, smiley and fun
Knows the material well and makes sure the students understand it
The students see the teacher wants them to succeed (small group instruction, encouraging remarks)
Is able to lower tone and put on a more serious face when she wants students to quiet down/focus

amother
Cadetblue

Post Mon, Nov 20 2023, 9:00 pm
OP:Wondering if we can learn anything from the public school system? How do they support their teachers when children repeatedly disrupt class? (Anyone here a teacher in public school or grew up in public school system?)

I don't work in the public school system, and didn't grow up in it--

But unfortunately I see our frum schools veering away from discipline and going to "just love them" which is a beautiful and wonderful mantra, but children also NEED CONSEQUENCES.

A kid who is very chutzpadik or out of bounds NEEDS to be put in their place, whether it's a serious shmooze from the principal, calling the parents, or detention.

I happen to not need those interventions, bli ayin hara, but a new, young, inexperienced teacher NEEDS to have the backing of the hanhalah.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics