Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Chanukah
Is the between carpool donut recipe missing sugar?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 19 2023, 5:09 pm
The recipe called "yeshiva donuts" tasted like it was missing sugar?? My kids say its not sweet enough. The recipe called for 4 tbsp sugar for around 22 donuts. How does that make sense?

amother
Topaz

Post Sun, Nov 19 2023, 5:42 pm
It makes sense. Donuts don't have much sugar in the dough. The toppings provide additional sweetness.

amother
Blonde

Post Sun, Nov 19 2023, 5:50 pm
Donuts have very little to no sugar. The sweetness comes from the filling or topping. The kuntz of donuts is the frying, not the sweetness

NechaMom

Post Sun, Nov 19 2023, 5:51 pm
Many people drown it in confection sugar after baking.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 19 2023, 5:51 pm
I was trying to convince my kids since we are baking today a test run. They were like -these donuts taste like chocolate challa lol. They just were not sweet at all. I did fry them...

amother
Poinsettia

Post Sun, Nov 19 2023, 5:53 pm
Feel free to adjust to your taste, but my doughnuts are also not sweet until coated in powdered sugar.

amother
Blonde

Post Sun, Nov 19 2023, 5:53 pm
amother OP wrote:
I was trying to convince my kids since we are baking today a test run. They were like -these donuts taste like chocolate challa lol. They just were not sweet at all. I did fry them...

There’s no convincing. Donuts aren’t sweet. Real sufganiyot in e”y aren’t sweet at all
If you want it to be sweet, you put in a filling
Otherwise it’s a deep fried cake, not a donut

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 19 2023, 5:55 pm
amother Blonde wrote:
There’s no convincing. Donuts aren’t sweet. Real sufganiyot in e”y aren’t sweet at all
If you want it to be sweet, you put in a filling
Otherwise it’s a deep fried cake, not a donut

Aren't bakery donuts sweet? I really want to like the recipe lol because it was easy to follow and I had all the ingrediants. Can I just add sugar?

amother
Topaz

Post Sun, Nov 19 2023, 6:02 pm
amother OP wrote:
Aren't bakery donuts sweet? I really want to like the recipe lol because it was easy to follow and I had all the ingrediants. Can I just add sugar?

Bakery donuts are sweet from the toppings & fillings. The dough alone isn't supposed to be sweet.

amother
Garnet

Post Sun, Nov 19 2023, 6:06 pm
I wouldn't add sugar. The sweetness comes from the fill and tons of confectioners sugar on top or any other sweet topping.

amother
Blonde

Post Sun, Nov 19 2023, 6:10 pm
amother OP wrote:

No, it’s a completely different taste. Real donuts don’t have sugar or just a bit of sugar in the dough

amother
Cornsilk

Post Sun, Nov 19 2023, 6:14 pm
I think this is why it's super popular to use Rhodes dough as a hack. Not sweet at all.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics