Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
Large eggs in recipes

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 22 2023, 11:07 am
does anyone know how much a large egg weighs? in grams?

when baking.

scintilla

Post Wed, Nov 22 2023, 11:10 am
50g according to what I've seen

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 22 2023, 11:15 am
scintilla wrote:
50g according to what I've seen

really?

I thought that small?

weighing with the shell?

scintilla

Post Wed, Nov 22 2023, 11:22 am
Yep but I don't think the shell weighs much

Found a link for you https://www.healthline.com/hea.....efits

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 22 2023, 11:30 am
scintilla wrote:
Yep but I don't think the shell weighs much

Found a link for you https://www.healthline.com/hea.....efits

so here they say a large egg is 63g not 50?

scintilla

Post Wed, Nov 22 2023, 11:33 am
That's jumbo. Read it again.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 22 2023, 11:36 am
scintilla wrote:
That's jumbo. Read it again.

oh, right.

but my large eggs are about 65-67g.

this is how they come,

I wonder if ir makes a diff in baking.

scintilla

Post Wed, Nov 22 2023, 11:37 am
So maybe it's 50g of actual egg not with the shell? Now I'm not sure. I often bake with a scale and the egg that gets in the bowl is usually a little over 50.

amother
Tangerine

Post Wed, Nov 22 2023, 11:55 am
Hiding in shame here as I've never thought about how large my egg is when baking. I just put in the amount of eggs the recipe asks for. Not had any issues. Does it really matter if the egg is that bit bigger? Asking to understand, not to be sarcastic.

amother
Poppy

Post Wed, Nov 22 2023, 11:59 am
They use an average when categorizing egg size. Some will be bigger and some will be smaller. It's not exact for each.

scintilla

Post Wed, Nov 22 2023, 12:00 pm
Eggs are packaged by weight, so all the eggs in the carton are the same weight (within a very small range of probably 3 grams). So if you shop in a regular store, you are buying either large eggs (50g) or extra large (56g). So not a huge difference either way:)

Bnei Berak 10

Post Wed, Nov 22 2023, 12:03 pm
amother Tangerine wrote:
Hiding in shame here as I've never thought about how large my egg is when baking. I just put in the amount of eggs the recipe asks for. Not had any issues. Does it really matter if the egg is that bit bigger? Asking to understand, not to be sarcastic.

Your question is valid. Not every receipe states egg size.
AFAI remember in cooking school egg size was supposed to be Israeli Medium size in receipes.
The size starts to be critical when you bake large batches as a too small or too large egg changes the proportions in the receipt.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Wed, Nov 22 2023, 12:06 pm
amother OP wrote:
does anyone know how much a large egg weighs? in grams?

when baking.

The egg and poultry farmers association in your country should be able to give that info.

zaq

Post Wed, Nov 22 2023, 2:51 pm
Professional recipes assume size "large" eggs. This image provides a conversion chart for egg sizes so you can adjust the number of eggs you use: https://thinlicious.com/wp-con.....8.jpg

https://www.thespruceeats.com/.....28750 provides an expanded chart that includes small eggs. I've never seen "small" eggs commercially sold, but you may have them if you raise your own chickens.

amother
Mimosa

Post Wed, Nov 22 2023, 2:57 pm
scintilla wrote:
Eggs are packaged by weight, so all the eggs in the carton are the same weight (within a very small range of probably 3 grams). So if you shop in a regular store, you are buying either large eggs (50g) or extra large (56g). So not a huge difference either way:)

Where I shop, you can buy eggs in sizes medium to jumbo, and if you're making a large batch, that can be a meaningful difference. Not if you're making omelettes or meringues, but certainly if you're baking or making custard. The difference between medium and jumbo is significant. Jumbos are fun, you find a lot of double yolks in them. Just like twin babies, the yolks are smaller than regular, but the sum of the two is more than regular.

When I was on a kibbutz that raised turkeys, we used turkey eggs for everything. IIRC, one turkey egg subbed for three chicken eggs.

scintilla

Post Wed, Nov 22 2023, 3:00 pm
amother Mimosa wrote:
Where I shop, you can buy eggs in sizes medium to jumbo, and if you're making a large batch, that can be a meaningful difference. Not if you're making omelettes or meringues, but certainly if you're baking or making custard. The difference between medium and jumbo is significant. Jumbos are fun, you find a lot of double yolks in them. Just like twin babies, the yolks are smaller than regular, but the sum of the two is more than regular.

When I was on a kibbutz that raised turkeys, we used turkey eggs for everything. IIRC, one turkey egg subbed for three chicken eggs.

So interesting! I've never seen sizes besides large and extra large in a regular store, and I've lived in several countries. Definitely sizes beyond those would make a big difference.

And the chart posted above says a different measurement than the one I posted, go figure!

Iymnok

Post Wed, Nov 22 2023, 3:01 pm
amother Mimosa wrote:

Do they taste the same?

Bnei Berak 10

Post Wed, Nov 22 2023, 3:08 pm
zaq wrote:
Professional recipes assume size "large" eggs. This image provides a conversion chart for egg sizes so you can adjust the number of eggs you use: https://thinlicious.com/wp-con.....8.jpg

https://www.thespruceeats.com/.....28750 provides an expanded chart that includes small eggs. I've never seen "small" eggs commercially sold, but you may have them if you raise your own chickens.

I guess the charts are valid for the US, right?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics