Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
Can I use baking chocolate instead of chocolate chips?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 22 2023, 1:37 pm
How should I measure it out? Recipe calls for 1 cup of chocolate chips. Thanks!

scruffy

Post Wed, Nov 22 2023, 1:42 pm
Yes you can. Google says a cup of chocolate chips is 6 oz, so check how large your bar is to calculate what fraction you need. If you would have a 10 oz bar for instance, that would be 3/5 of the bar.

Alternatively, you can chop chocolate until you have a full cup.

If it's a mix-in in a recipe (as opposed to melted before adding) it doesn't have to be perfectly measured.

Last edited by scruffy on Wed, Nov 22 2023, 1:43 pm; edited 1 time in total

Highstrung

Post Wed, Nov 22 2023, 1:42 pm
I just chop chocolate up into small pieces until it fills 1 cup.

Tzivia18

Post Wed, Nov 22 2023, 1:44 pm
Sure. Chop up the chocolate into chunks until you fill a cup. I actually prefer cutting my own chocolate over chocolate chips because you have a lot more control over the quality and flavor. (Think of all those yummy Schmerling chocolates you can use!!) As well, those little shards of chocolate take your cookies to the next level!

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 22 2023, 1:46 pm
Thanks! I'll melt 6 Oz, no time for extra chopping!

zaq

Post Wed, Nov 22 2023, 2:37 pm
Ladies, baking chocolate (as opposed to Baker's Brand semisweet chocolate) is not the same as chocolate chips. It is bitter vee gall and inedible except when mixed into a recipe. It is generally sold in packages of 4 or 8 one-ounce portions and absolutely does NOT sub for chocolate chips. Anyone who ever tried to sneak a piece of the baking chocolate Mom used to keep in the fridge has never forgotten that lesson!

From https://www.thekitchn.com/what.....28027
Baking chocolate, in its most traditional form, is unsweetened chocolate. That means it’s 100 percent chocolate liquor (aka processed and ground cocoa beans) without any added sugar or flavoring, so it’s extra bitter and extra unpleasant to bite into. Unsweetened chocolate is meant to be used in a recipe where you’re using enough sweeteners to counter this bitterness.

There's a lot of confusion because Baker's Brand sells both unsweetened baking chocolate and a "semi-sweet chocolate baking bar." The latter is nothing more than regular dark chocolate in a 4- or 8-ounce bar, scored into 1/4 ounce sections so you can break off the exact amount you need. Furthering the confusion is the fact that other brands have also taken upon themselves to sell big bars of semi-sweet chocolate and call them "baking bars."

If you have the semi-sweet "baking bars" you're good to go. Semisweet chocolate is bittersweet chocolate is dark chocolate no matter how you chop it. Just make sure you're not using baking chocolate instead.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics