Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Pyrex or something better
Previous  1  2

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 23 2023, 6:37 pm
I think mermaid is the one I will go with.

https://www.samuelgroves.com/P.....a005b

I am just used to seeing these for baking cakes.

It seems weird to bake chicken or kugel in it.

are the hard anodised better than the silver anodised? maybe thats why I think its weird-my mother has silver ones and never saw her bake chicken it....

amother
Ebony

Post Thu, Nov 23 2023, 9:18 pm
Pardon the ignorance but what's wrong with stainless steel? It doesn't break, it can be kashered, it's lighter than Pyrex, at worst it may dent if dropped from a height but it'll still work, it can be scoured and it never, ever, ever wears out. If it gets really grungy it can be cleaned with oven cleaner. What's not to love?

zaq

Post Thu, Nov 23 2023, 9:26 pm
Bnei Berak 10 wrote:
Chicken in a metal pan isn't a problem at all nor is kugel.
Stainless steel doesn't conduct ovenheat very well. Glass or any porcelain or stoneware is much better.

Aluminum is a much better conductor than glass or ceramic. Glass and ceramic are actually insulators, not conductors. They make good casserole pans because, once they do get hot, they stay hot for a long time, and will keep the food hot on the table when served. Metal, otoh, cools off rapidly. For cakes, you want the pan to cool off fast.

Stainless tends to get hot spots so it's not great for cakes. For chicken and kugels, it's fine.

amother
Scarlet

Post Thu, Nov 23 2023, 9:56 pm
I have a Cusinart 9x13 roasting pan. It's stainless steel with an aluminum sandwich bottom, so you can cook with it on the stovetop (to sear or turn drippings into gravy) and also use in the oven. It's great, and it's decently pretty.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Nov 24 2023, 3:53 am
zaq wrote:
Aluminum is a much better conductor than glass or ceramic. Glass and ceramic are actually insulators, not conductors. They make good casserole pans because, once they do get hot, they stay hot for a long time, and will keep the food hot on the table when served. Metal, otoh, cools off rapidly. For cakes, you want the pan to cool off fast.

Stainless tends to get hot spots so it's not great for cakes. For chicken and kugels, it's fine.

I am confused now.

for chicken and kugel- whats the best material? glass, ceramic, enamel.

cakes - anodised aluminium?

mermaid hard anodised says its for roasting?

amother
Magnolia

Post Fri, Nov 24 2023, 6:58 am
PYREX - uppercase - original and not likely to shatter

pyrex - lowercase - not original and made elsewhere - more likely to shatter

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 26 2023, 4:50 pm
keep the advice coming please.

amother
Stone

Post Sun, Nov 26 2023, 5:16 pm
amother Stone wrote:
I'm using Pyrex for a few years already, never shattered. You're not supposed to use it higher than 500°f.

Use parch paper for easier job cleaning.

I checked. I have the lowercase pyrex

bakingmom

Post Sun, Nov 26 2023, 5:48 pm
I had the mermaid roasting dish, used it for chicken every week with great results - until I got a dishwasher. The one I had was not dishwasher safe and got ruined. If you are ok with hand washing it's fine, but if you rely on your dishwasher, check that it's dishwasher safe.

After shattering a couple of pyrex, I stopped using pyrex unless emergency. (they shattered when adding water to whatever was roasting).

I now use an enamel roasting dish for chicken - I got with a self basting lid so no need for foil to cover but still use foil for kugel.

oh - and for best results you want something thick/heavy to retain the heat and really roast what you are making.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 26 2023, 5:53 pm
bakingmom wrote:
I had the mermaid roasting dish, used it for chicken every week with great results - until I got a dishwasher. The one I had was not dishwasher safe and got ruined. If you are ok with hand washing it's fine, but if you rely on your dishwasher, check that it's dishwasher safe.

After shattering a couple of pyrex, I stopped using pyrex unless emergency. (they shattered when adding water to whatever was roasting).

I now use an enamel roasting dish for chicken - I got with a self basting lid so no need for foil to cover but still use foil for kugel.

oh - and for best results you want something thick/heavy to retain the heat and really roast what you are making.

thanks.

how did the chicken come out so great if it was anodised aluminium which doesnt retain heat?
isnt it better for cake?

yeah I heard mermaid should be put in the dishwasher...

bakingmom

Post Sun, Nov 26 2023, 6:26 pm
It was thick aluminium so hot whilst roasting - it caramelised the chicken/potatoes/onions/carrots (or whatever I put in my chicken)

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 26 2023, 8:36 pm
bakingmom wrote:
It was thick aluminium so hot whilst roasting - it caramelised the chicken/potatoes/onions/carrots (or whatever I put in my chicken)

are you happier with enamel/ceramic?

did you find the mermaid too shallow?
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics