Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking
Is an immersion blender/cheap conventional jar good for bugs

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 23 2023, 3:29 pm
To blend a soup made with brocolli would a cheap jar blender or good immersion blender be enough to liquify it to be halachically acceptable. Has anyone tested/compared the differences or can help with this

ra_mom

Post Thu, Nov 23 2023, 3:33 pm
I always use an immersion blender for such soup. It takes time and tilting of pot, but with effort I get it silky smooth. (For me this effort is easier than taking out a blender, transferring, washing, drying, putting away.)

amother
Forsythia

Post Thu, Nov 23 2023, 3:52 pm
What are you blending??

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 23 2023, 4:06 pm
Brocolli, cauliflower, or spinach leaves (not jewish brands just regular from shelves) so that it is liquified enough to be halachically fine

Amarante

Post Thu, Nov 23 2023, 4:18 pm
ra_mom wrote:
I always use an immersion blender for such soup. It takes time and tilting of pot, but with effort I get it silky smooth. (For me this effort is easier than taking out a blender, transferring, washing, drying, putting away.)

An immersion blender was a revelation. I used to transfer to the food processor and what a hassle and a mess and then to clean it.

I don't understand how anyone doesn't have one - they also store so easily in a drawer.

FWIW, I like my soups like butternut squash to have a bit of a consistency but from watching Top Chef, the really silky texture they use a chinos or equivalent.

amother
Teal

Post Thu, Nov 23 2023, 5:00 pm
amother OP wrote:
Brocolli, cauliflower, or spinach leaves (not jewish brands just regular from shelves) so that it is liquified enough to be halachically fine

Double check with your LOR if purposely pureeing to remove the bug issue is ok. Many people hold it isn’t.

amother
Vanilla

Post Thu, Nov 23 2023, 5:02 pm
amother Teal wrote:
Double check with your LOR if purposely pureeing to remove the bug issue is ok. Many people hold it isn’t.

It's only ok if that's the way that dish would be served either way. For example, you always blend a smoothie, so no problem adding spinach without checking. It would be a problem to puree broccoli and eat/drink it like that JUST to avoid having to check it. So a soup that is normally blended should be fine.

amother
Tiffanyblue

Post Thu, Nov 23 2023, 5:18 pm
This is a real halachic issue.
One cannot assume there are bugs and blend them.
Many rabbis say one must first wash and be sure there are no bugs, and only THEN can one blend.
You should absolutely be washing the spinach before you put it in your smoothie. You might not have to check it after you wash it before you blend it, but I don’t think you can just take raspberries and put them in a smoothie knowing they for sure have bugs.

amother
Poinsettia

Post Thu, Nov 23 2023, 5:41 pm
amother Tiffanyblue wrote:
Many rabbis say one must first wash and be sure there are no bugs, and only THEN can one blend.
You should absolutely be washing the spinach before you put it in your smoothie. You might not have to check it after you wash it before you blend it, but I don’t think you can just take raspberries and put them in a smoothie knowing they for sure have bugs.

Yes this!
You cannot take vegetables that for sure have bugs and blend them.
But if you wash them extremely well check a few and they're clean, you can assume that there are no bugs and in the event that there would be one of 2 the crushing/blending would make it ok to eat.
For example: clean pre washed frozen strawberries would be fine to blend.

amother
Wandflower

Post Thu, Nov 23 2023, 5:42 pm
amother Forsythia wrote:
What are you blending??

BUGS Puke

amother
Vanilla

Post Thu, Nov 23 2023, 6:25 pm
amother Tiffanyblue wrote:

The mainstream kashrus agencies do not recommend any checking. Obviously you don't blend when you know there are definitely bugs, but if it's a fruit or vegetable that commonly has bugs, you do not need to check before blending. Washing should happen regardless of kashrus, I hope everyone is cleaning their fruits and veggies!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking