Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> The Imamother Writing Club
Am I the only one who would like feedback on novels?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 23 2023, 3:40 pm
I feel like non Jewish writers have so much more ways to get feedback... As self promoting is more common, ntm more social media, and larger audience. Here I know nothing except what my friends say.

amother
Wine

Post Thu, Nov 23 2023, 3:41 pm
Nu? 😁

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 23 2023, 3:43 pm
Would it be not acceptable for me to ask my publisher to put an email address somewhere for comments?

I created write.formychild@gmail.com last time (Book was For My Child). But when it was too late.

ShaniF

Post Thu, Nov 23 2023, 3:47 pm
Some authors have an email address in their book for feedback

amother
Steelblue

Post Thu, Nov 23 2023, 4:32 pm
Yes it is so frustrating!! Before my book was released I was so nervous about how I would accept any negative feedback I would get. But getting NO feedback is even worse Sad

tigerwife

Post Thu, Nov 23 2023, 4:41 pm
Is your book on Amazon? People do write reviews there.

amother
Steelblue

Post Thu, Nov 23 2023, 4:48 pm
amother OP wrote:
Would it be not acceptable for me to ask my publisher to put an email address somewhere for comments?

I created write.formychild@gmail.com last time (Book was For My Child). But when it was too late.

OP lots of books have email addresses for the author but it’s usually buried in the jacket flap, or the copyright page that noone looks at. But it’s perfectly acceptable to add it in somewhere.

I see your book is on Amazon, you’ve got some fantastic reviews, looks like a great book!

Giraffe

Post Thu, Nov 23 2023, 4:51 pm
Could be readers are afraid of violating Loshon Hora with negative reviews (or even positive reviews due to an issue of Dvak Loshon Hora as well). So they rather not write anything at all.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 23 2023, 4:53 pm
Giraffe wrote:
Could be readers are afraid of violating Loshon Hora with negative reviews (or even positive reviews due to an issue of Dvak Loshon Hora as well). So they rather not write anything at all.

It is lashon hara if you don't like something, and the Amazon reviews are from friends.

amother
Aqua

Post Thu, Nov 23 2023, 4:55 pm
Giraffe wrote:

I do think it's harder to get negative feedback on jewish things for that reason.

would you consider taking beta readers and having a way for them to give you feedback anonymously...

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Nov 23 2023, 5:29 pm
most ppl love to give their opinion

amother
Steelblue

Post Thu, Nov 23 2023, 5:38 pm
I don’t think its Lashon hara to say you didn’t enjoy a book you read, it’s not to say the next person won’t love it. There are so many different styles for different people.
Obviously to make negative statements on the author would not be OK, but to give critique on a story, what’s the problem?
As an author I would obviously rather everyone love my book but if someone said it was “too xyz” for them, or they didn’t follow the storyline or something else like that I would still appreciate that. It would help me to write better.
I agree with the above poster, Jews are a very opinionated people Wink
I think that without social media and with a smaller audience to begin with, we don’t have much of a ‘forum’ in which to share our opinions.

ETA: The frum market also does basically zero advertising which cuts its small marker even smaller. For example, OP I honestly have never seen your book until I checked it out just now! If you don’t happen to walk into a seforim store the same season a book comes out you will probably never know it existed…

Rubber Ducky

Post Thu, Nov 23 2023, 6:04 pm
amother Aqua wrote:
I do think it's harder to get negative feedback on jewish things for that reason.

would you consider taking beta readers and having a way for them to give you feedback anonymously...

Anonymous or not, if you want constructive feedback before going to press, beta readers are an excellent option.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 23 2023, 7:19 pm
I always get beta readers!

If you leave a review on a book that isn't completely positive it will almost certainly lower its appeal and potential buyers.

I was really annoyed when the book came out because they chose to put it out in early November and by the time chanuka season started it was already in the back of the store so it didn't get a lot of visibility. The salesman in the store also told my husband that he thinks a lot of people saw the cover and thought it was nonfiction.

amother
Papayawhip

Post Thu, Nov 23 2023, 7:49 pm
Can someone post a link? I'm googling away and the book just doesn't come up 😞

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 23 2023, 8:05 pm
amother Papayawhip wrote:
Can someone post a link? I'm googling away and the book just doesn't come up 😞

https://www.feldheim.com/for-my-child-1

realsilver

Post Thu, Nov 23 2023, 8:28 pm
it looks like a fantastic book. I would love to read it!

amother
Raspberry

Post Thu, Nov 23 2023, 9:16 pm
I read your book a while ago. I don't remember too much details. I guess I should pull it out and read again.

I do remember that I thought it was very well written. The storyline was very well planned. It was an emot and enjoyable read.

amother
Jetblack

Post Thu, Nov 23 2023, 9:31 pm
Actually this book has been on my “wish list” for a while. Seems like the story line is right up my alley!
Hoping to get to read it soon!

shanarishona

Post Thu, Nov 23 2023, 9:31 pm
I liked your book very much
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> The Imamother Writing Club