Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries
How to deal w these texts from a roofer w A+ rating on BBB?

amother
OP

Post Fri, Nov 24 2023, 12:10 pm
How do I deal w these texts from a roofer w A+ rating on BBB?
warning: bad language
https://I.imgur.com/AgIPZFo.jpg

Roofer was going door to door in a neighborhood, saying hes getting roofs replaced after the Hail storm. Hed get all the paperwork done, the only cost would be the deductible. That would be a saving of thousands.

He arrived one day and sent me pics of a ladder up against the house and said his ladder was too short, he needs to come back with a larger ladder. He asked if theres a part of the roof thats lower, and easier to get onto. I called my home inspector and inspector said he sounds incompetent.

All these questions made us suspicious that hes no expert at roofing. We told him were not interested, to which he responded above.

How would you react? Ignore? Report the company? Im scared of the lunatic.

Last edited by amother on Fri, Nov 24 2023, 12:29 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Cognac

Post Fri, Nov 24 2023, 12:16 pm
You double posted and this is not anonymous

amother
Quince

Post Fri, Nov 24 2023, 12:20 pm
Did you actually tell him someone called him incompetent?

Notsobusy

Post Fri, Nov 24 2023, 12:24 pm
I would just ignore him and he'll probably stop. If it continues you can call Lakewood Shomrim and see what they recommend.

I think you learned a valuable lesson. Don't trust anyone who knocks on your door, any reliable, competent contractor can find more respectable ways to find clients. And don't trust anyone who makes promises that sound too good to be true, they're usually not true.

amother
Stoneblue

Post Fri, Nov 24 2023, 12:27 pm
That being said, you can call a competent roofer and insurance adjuster and get a new roof if yours was damaged by the storm.

Mine was. Cost 1k deductible, 1600 to the adjuster. And we have a new roof bh.

amother
Daylily

Post Fri, Nov 24 2023, 12:28 pm
amother Quince wrote:
Did you actually tell him someone called him incompetent?

Absolutely not. But since when does a competent roofer ask the customer how to get on a roof?

amother
OP

Post Fri, Nov 24 2023, 12:29 pm
amother Cognac wrote:
You double posted and this is not anonymous

Thanks.

disneyland

Post Fri, Nov 24 2023, 12:49 pm
I think you should be respectful despite how mean he is and say I'm sorry you feel that way, thank you for your help, good luck. I think it might sound like he no way deserves to be treated nice but sometimes it softens the.blow. Baruch Hashem you looked into it and don't have him doing your roof anymore

amother
Quince

Post Fri, Nov 24 2023, 12:52 pm
amother Daylily wrote:
Absolutely not. But since when does a competent roofer ask the customer how to get on a roof?

I just thought it was a strange coincidence that the inspector called him incompetent and he also called op incompetent.

I don't think it's so outlandish to ask if there's a part of the roof that has easier access.

Amarante

Post Fri, Nov 24 2023, 1:21 pm
Just ignore and be glad you dodged a bullet by not hiring him.

In the future NEVER hire anyone who comes to your door looking for work.

For starters, any competent tradesperson has more than enough work to keep them busy and isn't spending time going door to door. Immediate red flag.

Also anyone who makes a bid and states that the cost is your deductible because he will accept what insurance pays him also raises a red flag. Ethical and competent tradespeople don't operate in this manner.

A poorly done roof can cause incredible issues in the future. If a roof needs to be repaired, you ask people who you trust for recommendations - possibly even the insurance company - then get at least three bids. And you don't take the cheapest either as that can be a sign that the work won't be well done - especially if there is a significant difference in prices.

amother
Seafoam

Post Sat, Nov 25 2023, 10:13 am
Better Business Bureau is a scam! They reached out to my company and offer to give us a good rating for payment - the higher payment, the better the rating they offered.

amother
Mimosa

Post Sat, Nov 25 2023, 2:51 pm
amother Daylily wrote:

How do you know OP didn’t tell him someone said that? I agree it’s a big coincidence that the same word was used, it sounds like he’s throwing it back at her after she said it to him.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries