Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Car seat for keeping refluxy baby upright after meals-

amother
OP

Post Sat, Nov 25 2023, 10:58 pm
Dr said to keep baby in car seat 1 hour after meal. I have the maxi cosi car seat. Is that a bad position? I’ve seen all the basing re baby being in doonas all day and wondering about the maxi cosi?

Baby is also getting tummy time for a few minutes each multiple times during the day.

amother
Jasmine

Post Sat, Nov 25 2023, 11:01 pm
Generally car seats out of the car aren't especially safe for babies. Is there any way you can hold him instead?

amother
Mintcream

Post Sat, Nov 25 2023, 11:02 pm
amother OP wrote:
Dr said to keep baby in car seat 1 hour after meal. I have the maxi cosi car seat. Is that a bad position? I’ve seen all the basing re baby being in doonas all day and wondering about the maxi cosi?

Baby is also getting tummy time for a few minutes each multiple times during the day.

One of my babies slept for the night in the maxi cosi car seat, because of reflux. It is a better position then the doona.
1 hours after meals is fine & may really help for reflux.

amother
OP

Post Sat, Nov 25 2023, 11:04 pm
amother Mintcream wrote:
One of my babies slept for the night in the maxi cosi car seat, because of reflux. It is a better position then the doona.
1 hours after meals is fine & may really help for reflux.

So you kept in the car seat all night long?
Baby takes tops 2 hour breaks between feeds, so not going to keep a timer really for 1 hour to transfer baby into bassinet…

amother
OP

Post Sat, Nov 25 2023, 11:06 pm
amother Jasmine wrote:
Generally car seats out of the car aren't especially safe for babies. Is there any way you can hold him instead?

Interesting, because this was advised by a top pediatrician.
Once upon a time, there were really great infant seats. I remember a sibling with severe reflux sleeping in an infant seat that was placed in the crib. But this was close to 30 years ago and those aren’t made anymore…

amother
Mintcream

Post Sat, Nov 25 2023, 11:08 pm
amother OP wrote:
So you kept in the car seat all night long?
Baby takes tops 2 hour breaks between feeds, so not going to keep a timer really for 1 hour to transfer baby into bassinet…

Yes, baby slept in the car seat all night. It was the only way she got to sleep & wasn't shrieking through the night. My pediatrician advised me to do that. Her reflux was so bad, it caused her serious gastro issues.

amother
Mintcream

Post Sat, Nov 25 2023, 11:09 pm
amother OP wrote:
Interesting, because this was advised by a top pediatrician.
Once upon a time, there were really great infant seats. I remember a sibling with severe reflux sleeping in an infant seat that was placed in the crib. But this was close to 30 years ago and those aren’t made anymore…

I remember those infant seats, it was a car seat. Infant car seats back then were called infant seats.

amother
OP

Post Sat, Nov 25 2023, 11:10 pm
amother Mintcream wrote:
I remember those infant seats, it was a car seat. Infant car seats back then were called infant seats.

No, that one definitely wasn’t a car seat

michimochi

Post Fri, Dec 01 2023, 1:19 am
Putting my baby in the carrier after meals was a game-changer for me. She stays upright, can comfortably nap if she wants to, and I can get some stuff done.

lefty1

Post Fri, Dec 01 2023, 5:13 am
Car seats can actually put pressure on baby's stomach. I second the carrier. And look into propping bassinet mattress.

amother
Coffee

Post Fri, Dec 01 2023, 6:05 am
My older kids who are now teens had severe reflux. The first 2-3 months they slept in their car seats. We used the graco car seat which was very comfortable for them and the only way they could sleep.
My other kids had reflux but not as severe. They slept in the baby swing. They actually slept exceptionally well from the movement of the swing.

amother
Lemonlime

Post Fri, Dec 01 2023, 6:34 am
amother OP wrote:
No, that one definitely wasn’t a car seat

You mean those white seats, that were at a slight recline? The baby was laying down, but with the head higher up; wasn’t all scrunched up like when in a car seat.
I think there are “bouncing seats” that hold the baby in a similar position.

mushkamothers

Post Fri, Dec 01 2023, 7:40 am
Why not a bouncing seat like the baby Bjorn

emee2

Post Mon, Dec 11 2023, 10:32 am
Our GI suggested the baby Björn and it was amazing. We did it for 45min after each feeding
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics