Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Buying a second-hand Doona
1  2  3  Next

Tao

Post Sun, Nov 26 2023, 2:43 pm
I'm looking to buy a second-hand doona and found one for very cheap. I read on a different thread that a couple of people were saying something about a Doona needing to be replaced every 6 years, and I'm not sure how old this one is.
Can someone explain to me the reasoning behind this?
Thank you

amother
Smokey

Post Sun, Nov 26 2023, 2:46 pm
Every car seat expires.
It's really not recommended to buy a used car seat.

amother
Stonewash

Post Sun, Nov 26 2023, 2:48 pm
It's a car seat they expire because the plastic becomes brittle and isn't as safe in a crash. I also would not buy a used car seat as you don't know how it was handled. If it was in a car accident already it absorbed the impact and wouldn't be safe in another crash.

scintilla

Post Sun, Nov 26 2023, 2:49 pm
Car seats are made out of materials that degrade over time, and after a certain amount of time are no longer strong enough to be safe in chv a car accident, which is ultimately the point of car seats. Each car seat has an expiration date, which should be printed on it I believe (definitely is for doonas). Many car seats last 10 years but doonas last 6. You can ask the person you're looking to buy from what expiration date is printed on the doona, it will have a month and a year.

Generally, the cheaper one is, the closer to the expiration date it is! If it's extremely cheap I'd be concerned that maybe it's been in a crash and has no visible damage (but wouldn't be safe anymore) - follow your gut!! I've bought 2 lightly used doonas and have been very happy both times, you just need to make sure you trust the person you're buying from.

Tao

Post Sun, Nov 26 2023, 2:50 pm
Aha ok. If it wasn't in a crash would that make it fine? Really can't afford a brand-new doona

Tao

Post Sun, Nov 26 2023, 2:51 pm
Tao wrote:
Aha ok. If it wasn't in a crash would that make it fine? Really can't afford a brand-new doona

But obviously safety comes first!!

scintilla

Post Sun, Nov 26 2023, 2:51 pm
Tao wrote:

Personally I think yes, as I said above I've done it twice:) you just need to do your research and make sure you're buying from someone where you trust that they're selling it because they're done with it, for example, and not because it was in a crash.

Tao

Post Sun, Nov 26 2023, 2:55 pm
scintilla wrote:
Personally I think yes, as I said above I've done it twice:) you just need to do your research and make sure you're buying from someone where you trust that they're selling it because they're done with it, for example, and not because it was in a crash.

Great, thank you!

amother
Seablue

Post Sun, Nov 26 2023, 2:56 pm
If you decide to go with second hand, there were some options here

https://www.imamother.com/foru.....36307

amother
NeonGreen

Post Sun, Nov 26 2023, 3:00 pm
Tao wrote:

Don't get a Doona then Smile
I can't afford one either. I got a well recommended brand new carseat for $200.

amother
Smokey

Post Sun, Nov 26 2023, 3:07 pm
Tao wrote:

So get a car seat you can afford. A doona is a luxury. Not a must. Plenty of us manage and survive without a doona.
Your baby's safety comes before being trendy.
You shouldn't buy a used expired car seat, even if it wasn't involved in a crash.

amother
Stonewash

Post Sun, Nov 26 2023, 3:10 pm
Tao wrote:

There are other ways it can be mishandled. Like checked on an airplane, or thrown around, washed incorrectly, left in the rain etc.. I wouldn't buy it off a random stranger. Maybe a friend or relative who I know takes care of things properly. Also you can buy a graco and snap and go wheels which is way cheaper than doona.

amother
Molasses

Post Sun, Nov 26 2023, 3:10 pm
Doonas do NOT have an expiration date on them.
They have a manufacture date. And they have are good for six years.

If a doona looks really cheap, you might be getting scammed. Especially on Facebook marketplace. Be careful.
Make sure you are buying something from a very real person. Do NOT pay in advance before seeing the item, no matter how good the deal looks. (Yes…this happened to me…)

amother
Molasses

Post Sun, Nov 26 2023, 3:11 pm
Also, from what I have read, the recommendation now of six years is for MOST car seats. Not just doona.

scintilla

Post Sun, Nov 26 2023, 3:19 pm
amother Molasses wrote:
Doonas do NOT have an expiration date on them.
They have a manufacture date. And they have are good for six years.

If a doona looks really cheap, you might be getting scammed. Especially on Facebook marketplace. Be careful.
Make sure you are buying something from a very real person. Do NOT pay in advance before seeing the item, no matter how good the deal looks. (Yes…this happened to me…)

I just checked mine, and it actually has both - manufacturing and expiration date. But, it's a newer one so maybe the older ones only showed one.

amother
Sage

Post Sun, Nov 26 2023, 3:20 pm
Car seats degrade in quality and safety over time because of exposure to heat and cold. Please put your baby’s safety before being in style. Or if you need to be in style, put the doona on a credit card and pay it off slowly. The interest is worth your baby’s life and wellbeing.

scintilla

Post Sun, Nov 26 2023, 3:26 pm
Can we stop assuming the OP is putting style over her baby's safety? It really bothers me how every thread mentioning doonas ends up at that. There are many reasons that people use doonas, mostly for the convenience of it especially if you don't have a car. And the OP has said nothing about not taking the correct steps to be safe. It's honestly insulting to assume every person who asks about a doona wants one for style reasons (honestly don't think they're that stylish but I get that some do).

amother
Smokey

Post Sun, Nov 26 2023, 3:35 pm
scintilla wrote:
Can we stop assuming the OP is putting style over her baby's safety? It really bothers me how every thread mentioning doonas ends up at that. There are many reasons that people use doonas, mostly for the convenience of it especially if you don't have a car. And the OP has said nothing about not taking the correct steps to be safe. It's honestly insulting to assume every person who asks about a doona wants one for style reasons (honestly don't think they're that stylish but I get that some do).

It seems that OP thinks that a doona is a "must" and would rather buy a used doona than a car seat she can afford. A doona is not a must. A doona is a luxury. Everyone can manage & survive without a doona, just like we did till doona became a must have.

smss

Post Sun, Nov 26 2023, 3:35 pm
scintilla wrote:

So it's either 1) style or 2) convenience.
Which of those should come before safety?

I don't think OP doesn't care about safety, I think she is here asking BECAUSE she cares! And she's gotten some good information.

scintilla

Post Sun, Nov 26 2023, 3:39 pm
amother Smokey wrote:
It seems that OP thinks that a doona is a "must" and would rather buy a used doona than a car seat she can afford. A doona is not a must. A doona is a luxury. Everyone can manage & survive without a doona, just like we did till doona became a must have.

I think you're projecting/have a chip on your shoulder about this. OP asked about buying one second hand and said she can't afford one new, that's all.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics