Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Buying a second-hand Doona
Previous  1  2  3  Next

scintilla

Post Sun, Nov 26 2023, 6:41 pm
smss wrote:
So it's either 1) style or 2) convenience.
Which of those should come before safety?

I don't think OP doesn't care about safety, I think she is here asking BECAUSE she cares! And she's gotten some good information.

Absolutely neither should come before safety, my point about convenience is that people think that anyone asking about a doona is asking for style reasons and therefore will forego safety because they are so intent on being in style.

And I agree completely that OP seems very appropriately concerned about safety & has gotten useful information in order to be safe if she does buy a second hand doona.

amother
Ginger

Post Sun, Nov 26 2023, 6:42 pm
I've looked in to buying a used Doona on Facebook marketplace.

People are selling very gently used ones.

I always ask for the sticker to see what the manufacture and expiration dates are. The condition on the sticker can also tell you alot about how much the doona has been used. I also check the person's profile to get an idea of who I am buying from.

Bleemee

Post Sun, Nov 26 2023, 6:43 pm
How does one wash a Doona incorrectly?

amother
Jade

Post Sun, Nov 26 2023, 6:44 pm
scintilla wrote:
Can we stop assuming the OP is putting style over her baby's safety? It really bothers me how every thread mentioning doonas ends up at that. There are many reasons that people use doonas, mostly for the convenience of it especially if you don't have a car. And the OP has said nothing about not taking the correct steps to be safe. It's honestly insulting to assume every person who asks about a doona wants one for style reasons (honestly don't think they're that stylish but I get that some do).
I agree with this. I think the doona looks so tacky! I bought one anyway because it is a lifesaver when doing carpool. Yes, I survived in the days before doonas, but those first months of trying to function with a small baby are really hard. I’ll do anything that will make it a bit easier!

Like others have said, only buy a secondhand doona if you know that the people before you treated it properly and kept it in good condition. But there is nothing wrong with trying to figure out how you can afford it.

Way back in the day, no one had air conditioning. That doesn’t mean I don’t “need” it!

amother
Smokey

scintilla wrote:
I think you're projecting/have a chip on your shoulder about this. OP asked about buying one second hand and said she can't afford one new, that's all.

Which implies that she thinks a doona is a must have & won't instead buy a car seat she can afford.
If you can't afford a doona, buy a car seat you can afford. It's that simple.

amother
Jade

Bleemee wrote:
How does one wash a Doona incorrectly?
You need to follow the instructions, or the fabric can weaken otherwise and become unsafe.

amother
Jade

Post Sun, Nov 26 2023, 6:46 pm
amother Smokey wrote:
Which implies that she thinks a doona is a must have & won't instead buy a car seat she can afford.
No it’s not that simple. I used a few coupons to make the price cheaper and resold it when I was done with it. That made the price way cheaper.

amother
Smokey

Post Sun, Nov 26 2023, 6:46 pm
amother Jade wrote:
I agree with this. I think the doona looks so tacky! I bought one anyway because it is a lifesaver when doing carpool. Yes, I survived in the days before doonas, but those first months of trying to function with a small baby are really hard. I’ll do anything that will make it a bit easier!

Like others have said, only buy a secondhand doona if you know that the people before you treated it properly and kept it in good condition. But there is nothing wrong with trying to figure out how you can afford it.

Way back in the day, no one had air conditioning. That doesn’t mean I don’t “need” it!

A doona is not a comparison to AC. There are plenty other great car seats available.
A car seat is a need. Any car seat. An expensive car seat, is a luxury.

scintilla

Post Sun, Nov 26 2023, 6:49 pm
amother Smokey wrote:

I think that implication is a bit of a reach, and I don't feel it's our place to decide that about a poster. She is asking for information about how to do this safely.

amother
Jade

Post Sun, Nov 26 2023, 6:49 pm
amother Smokey wrote:
A doona is not a comparison to AC. There are plenty other great car seats available.
A car seat is a need. Any car seat. An expensive car seat, is a luxury.
The other car seats don’t take 2 seconds to pull out of the car, swing out the wheels, and start running to preschool pickup. When you have a very tight schedule the other “great car seats” absolutely don’t compare.

scintilla

Post Sun, Nov 26 2023, 6:51 pm
Anyways sorry OP for derailing your thread, this is just a pet peeve of mine and happens on every single doona thread bar none. I think you got the answer to your question anyhow.

amother
Natural

Post Sun, Nov 26 2023, 6:52 pm
everyone is bugging outtt. there is nothing wrong with ops question, its a normal question.

Tao

Post Sun, Nov 26 2023, 6:53 pm
Lol, it's fine, I was expecting these kind of responses. I'm totally not fashion-conscious at all and live within my means, which is not a very high standard. I happen to want a Doona, even though I normally don't do trends because I can't afford to, and I know of course, not at the expense of my baby's safety, so I don't really mind if random people who don't know me have decided my priority is fashion first, safety last.
Some people aren't able to handle seeing a thread asking a simple question without going on a rant about their personal beliefs, and that's okay.
As an aside, I always laugh when people say, "We managed without xxx for years and we turned out fine!" What are you doing on the internet then? Did humanity not survive literally thousands of years without it? LOL LOL

LittleDucky

Post Sun, Nov 26 2023, 7:14 pm
Tao wrote:
Aha ok. If it wasn't in a crash would that make it fine? Really can't afford a brand-new doona

I didn't see if this was answered by another poster but had to respond...
A car crash automatically disqualifies a car seat. Even if it is your own- you should replace. Some car insurance policies automatically give you money for car seats that were damaged or in use during a crash.

However, just the amount of time a car seat has been in use can cause it to be less safe. Was it exposed to extreme temperatures? What about how did they use it? Especially as a doona is a stroller too- it was likely banged up and mishandled. People also tend to keep their kids in them way too long and therefore tax the plastic as a kid too tall/heavy used it and could have caused the materials to weaken or warp.

Sorry but if you cannot afford a new one you shouldn't buy one secondhand. This is for basic safety. Get a graco or a Chico infant bucket seat and a snap and go stroller. Super convenient and has a large basket, is lightweight, folds thinly in a trunk... and is half the price. Plus you are putting your kid in a safer seat and won't be tempted to keep them in the seat when it no longer fits and is unsafe.

amother
Taupe

Post Sun, Nov 26 2023, 7:22 pm
amother Jade wrote:
The other car seats don’t take 2 seconds to pull out of the car, swing out the wheels, and start running to preschool pickup. When you have a very tight schedule the other “great car seats” absolutely don’t compare.

Snap and go and a Chico took me about 1 minute. Pop trunk, pull out, close trunk, lift seat from base and click in the stroller. Done. Plus space for a diaper bag and purse in the basket. And space for my bottle of water in the cup holder.
Yes I did that about 2 weeks PP to run carpool.
It is super lightweight and lighter than a Doona as it is 2 pieces rather than 1 much heavier car seat.
And cheaper. Way cheaper.

Definitely safer than anything used no matter "how gently". New is always better with a car seat.

amother
Smokey

Post Sun, Nov 26 2023, 7:31 pm
Tao wrote:
Lol, it's fine, I was expecting these kind of responses. I'm totally not fashion-conscious at all and live within my means, which is not a very high standard. I happen to want a Doona, even though I normally don't do trends because I can't afford to, and I know of course, not at the expense of my baby's safety, so I don't really mind if random people who don't know me have decided my priority is fashion first, safety last.
Some people aren't able to handle seeing a thread asking a simple question without going on a rant about their personal beliefs, and that's okay.
As an aside, I always laugh when people say, "We managed without xxx for years and we turned out fine!" What are you doing on the internet then? Did humanity not survive literally thousands of years without it? LOL LOL

We're not talking about managing with no car seat at all. No one is telling you not to get a car seat at all, but to get one that you can afford. A doona is not the only car seat available. There are plenty of great, affordable car seats on the market. Those comparing a doona to other needs like internet and AC, are implying that a doona is a need & no other car seat will do.

amother
Cornsilk

Post Sun, Nov 26 2023, 7:42 pm
There’s a great cyber Monday deal now on the Graco infant car seat and snap n go wheels, you can get both for only $169 combined!!! That’s a crazy good price. I have both and love them. Love the basket, the lightweight, the ease of use, the comfort for the baby. The wheels lasted me for 2 kids and the car seat I’m currently using for my third kid (had to replace wheels after two kids because a brake broke, but I was rough with it).

$84 Car seat- Graco SnugRide 35 Lite LX Infant Car Seat, Studio https://a.co/d/6WVHaKT

$85 Wheels- Graco SnugRider Elite Car Seat Carrier, Lightweight Frame, Travel Stroller Accepts any Graco SnugRide Infant Car Seat, Black https://a.co/d/3PA850d

Tao

Post Sun, Nov 26 2023, 7:42 pm
amother Smokey wrote:
We're not talking about managing with no car seat at all. No one is telling you not to get a car seat at all, but to get one that you can afford. A doona is not the only car seat available. There are plenty of great, affordable car seats on the market. Those comparing a doona to other needs like internet and AC, are implying that a doona is a need & no other car seat will do.

Thankfully, I wasn't asking if I should buy a carseat at all LOL

LOL
I also wasn't asking should I buy a carseat that I can afford?
Nor did I ask, What are some other great affordable carseats on the market other than Doona?
Nor was my question, what does everyone think of buying a Doona if I'm on a limited budget?
Nor was my question, please give your opinion on how I should be spending my money?
And I definitely didn't ask, "Fashion is more important to me than my baby's safety, AMA" LOL

Lol. I asked a simple question. If you don't know the answer, please feel free to scroll right along!

(In regard to your last point: internet is a must?! I know plenty of people living in 2023 who manage ust fine without it! )

amother
Smokey

Post Sun, Nov 26 2023, 8:01 pm
Tao wrote:
Thankfully, I wasn't asking if I should buy a carseat at all LOL

LOL
I also wasn't asking should I buy a carseat that I can afford?
Nor did I ask, What are some other great affordable carseats on the market other than Doona?
Nor was my question, what does everyone think of buying a Doona if I'm on a limited budget?

Nor was my question, please give your opinion on how I should be spending my money?
And I definitely didn't ask, "Fashion is more important to me than my baby's safety, AMA" LOL

Lol. I asked a simple question. If you don't know the answer, please feel free to scroll right along!

(In regard to your last point: internet is a must?! I know plenty of people living in 2023 who manage ust fine without it! )

But you did say that you cannot afford a doona....
(You're right, internet is not a need for everyone. (Though so many things work through internet, even if one technically doesn't use internet, they use things that work through internet.) But a car seat is a need for everyone that has a baby, but a doona is not the only option.)

Tao

Post Sun, Nov 26 2023, 8:04 pm
amother Smokey wrote:
But you did say that you cannot afford a doona....

Yup, that's why I wanted to know about the safety of a second-hand one. Not for an opinion on whether a Doona is necessary Wink
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics