Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Buying a second-hand Doona
Previous  1  2  3

amother
Jade

Post Sun, Nov 26 2023, 5:15 pm
amother Taupe wrote:
Snap and go and a Chico took me about 1 minute. Pop trunk, pull out, close trunk, lift seat from base and click in the stroller. Done. Plus space for a diaper bag and purse in the basket. And space for my bottle of water in the cup holder.
Yes I did that about 2 weeks PP to run carpool.
It is super lightweight and lighter than a Doona as it is 2 pieces rather than 1 much heavier car seat.
And cheaper. Way cheaper.

Definitely safer than anything used no matter "how gently". New is always better with a car seat.
A doona is a lot quicker than that. Believe me I have done both.

I agree new is usually better but if you know how the car seat was treated, used is just fine.

Considering that I bought the doona on sale and it has great resale value, it ended up being cheaper than snap n go plus car seat.

Not everyone has such thin margins on carpool but I did and the doona really saved my sanity.

amother
Jade

Post Sun, Nov 26 2023, 5:17 pm
Tao wrote:
Yup, that's why I wanted to know about the safety of a second-hand one. Not for an opinion on whether a Doona is necessary Wink
I would not buy used from just anyone. I have seen how some people treat their doonas.

But in certain circumstances the doona is pretty close to necessary. I had a situation where I needed to be in 2 places at once, multiple times a week. The doona saved me.

amother
Bellflower

Post Sun, Nov 26 2023, 6:05 pm
You can check out goodbuygear.com, they sell new open box baby stuff. You might be able to get a new doona for cheaper than original price

amother
Smokey

Post Sun, Nov 26 2023, 6:43 pm
Tao wrote:
Yup, that's why I wanted to know about the safety of a second-hand one. Not for an opinion on whether a Doona is necessary Wink

If you're wondering about safety, a doona in general ranks pretty low in the car seat safety ratings.
(I think they're even illegal to be sold in Canada and Australia.)

amother
Sunflower

Post Sun, Nov 26 2023, 6:49 pm
amother Smokey wrote:
If you're wondering about safety, a doona in general ranks pretty low in the car seat safety ratings.
(I think they're even illegal to be sold in Canada and Australia.)

Considering Australia opened up their borders after covid about 2 years after the rest of the world, I'm not sure they're the best example to follow when it comes to safety. There is such a concept as too much of a good thing LOL LOL

amother
Firebrick

Post Sun, Nov 26 2023, 7:27 pm
I think you made your point smokey. You don't like doonas and think no body should have them.
Leave OP alone.

Tao

Post Sun, Nov 26 2023, 7:33 pm
I just want to know how she found out that they're illegal in Canada and Australia (from the "I think" I gather she doesn't live in either, could be wrong)
Lol. Do you seriosuly hate them so much you had to google where they are illegal? LOL Laugh
(hey smokey - you're entitled to hate something! Just honestly curious about this!)

amother
Smokey

Post Sun, Nov 26 2023, 7:35 pm
Tao wrote:
I just want to know how she found out that they're illegal in Canada and Australia (from the "I think" I gather she doesn't live in either, could be wrong)
Lol. Do you seriosuly hate them so much you had to google where they are illegal? LOL Laugh
(hey smokey - you're entitled to hate something! Just honestly curious about this!)

Wrong assumption, but I'm glad it's giving you something to laugh about. I've actually known this info since ever doona came out, from friends that live there & from previous imamother threads.

lucky14

Post Sun, Nov 26 2023, 8:02 pm
Tao wrote:
Thankfully, I wasn't asking if I should buy a carseat at all LOL

LOL
I also wasn't asking should I buy a carseat that I can afford?
Nor did I ask, What are some other great affordable carseats on the market other than Doona?
Nor was my question, what does everyone think of buying a Doona if I'm on a limited budget?
Nor was my question, please give your opinion on how I should be spending my money?
And I definitely didn't ask, "Fashion is more important to me than my baby's safety, AMA" LOL

Lol. I asked a simple question. If you don't know the answer, please feel free to scroll right along!

(In regard to your last point: internet is a must?! I know plenty of people living in 2023 who manage ust fine without it! )

Lol how well put.

gamanit

Post Mon, Nov 27 2023, 9:25 am
amother Smokey wrote:
It seems that OP thinks that a doona is a "must" and would rather buy a used doona than a car seat she can afford. A doona is not a must. A doona is a luxury. Everyone can manage & survive without a doona, just like we did till doona became a must have.

The car seat requirement for taxis is new. People used to hold their babies on their laps in a taxi. That's not allowed anymore.

amother
Butterscotch

Post Mon, Nov 27 2023, 11:37 am
I dont think Doonas are much different to any car seat - as mentioned here many times, that they expire after 5 / 6/ 10 years. But I have looked into this for a while, and have seen no empirical evidence for it. Obviously we want to make sure our babies are safe, but I think the manufacturers & the industry plays into it. Why would infant car seats be any different to regular seats or seat belts in cars? No one ever says you need to replace your car every 5 years because it is unsafe. Just as cars are getting safer with more safety features, so too are car seats (in general). There are constantly newer materials and manufacturer improvements. While obviously I would not buy a car after it has been in serious crash, so too I would not use a car seat after it was in a crash. But how many car seats have you seen that have degraded and are not usable after 5 years? 10 years? 20 years? I call it all a hoax by the industry.

You can all throw tomatoes now.

amother
Lemonlime

Post Mon, Nov 27 2023, 11:46 am
amother Butterscotch wrote:
I dont think Doonas are much different to any car seat - as mentioned here many times, that they expire after 5 / 6/ 10 years. But I have looked into this for a while, and have seen no empirical evidence for it. Obviously we want to make sure our babies are safe, but I think the manufacturers & the industry plays into it. Why would infant car seats be any different to regular seats or seat belts in cars? No one ever says you need to replace your car every 5 years because it is unsafe. Just as cars are getting safer with more safety features, so too are car seats (in general). There are constantly newer materials and manufacturer improvements. While obviously I would not buy a car after it has been in serious crash, so too I would not use a car seat after it was in a crash. But how many car seats have you seen that have degraded and are not usable after 5 years? 10 years? 20 years? I call it all a hoax by the industry.

You can all throw tomatoes now.

I have to say, there's a lot of truth to this. A nurse who works in the L&D ward told me that the whole getting the carseat checked before releasing you from the hospital thing is about the strength of the straps. I don't think anyone should be using a 15 year old carseat but probably this whole expiration date thing started as a way to make $$$ from people who will ofc always put their baby's safety first. Use your common sense. Do you have anything plastic from more than 5 years ago? Is it falling apart and cracking?
I'm sure there's more to it than that but it did always strike me as a bit of a scam

amother
Smokey

Post Mon, Nov 27 2023, 11:48 am
amother Lemonlime wrote:
I have to say, there's a lot of truth to this. A nurse who works in the L&D ward told me that the whole getting the carseat checked before releasing you from the hospital thing is about the strength of the straps. I don't think anyone should be using a 15 year old carseat but probably this whole expiration date thing started as a way to make $$$ from people who will ofc always put their baby's safety first. Use your common sense. Do you have anything plastic from more than 5 years ago? Is it falling apart and cracking?
I'm sure there's more to it than that but it did always strike me as a bit of a scam

I think they base it on the car seat staying in the car all the time, and extreme temperatures can make the materials weaker & cause the materials to wear out and ruin faster.

amother
Lemonlime

Post Mon, Nov 27 2023, 11:51 am
amother Smokey wrote:
I think they base it on the car seat staying in the car all the time, and extreme temperatures can make the materials weaker & cause the materials to wear out and ruin faster.

Well by definition a doona doesn't stay in the car all the time (pretty much the same for all infant carseats) so maybe the base would have to be replaced more often

amother
Smokey

Post Mon, Nov 27 2023, 11:53 am
amother Lemonlime wrote:
Well by definition a doona doesn't stay in the car all the time (pretty much the same for all infant carseats) so maybe the base would have to be replaced more often

Right. Most people don't leave their infant car seats sitting in the car all the time. But they base the car seat safety guidelines, on the car seat being left in the car all the time.

amother
Butterscotch

Post Mon, Nov 27 2023, 12:33 pm
amother Smokey wrote:
Right. Most people don't leave their infant car seats sitting in the car all the time. But they base the car seat safety guidelines, on the car seat being left in the car all the time.

Which again does not consider that the car itself does not fall apart, despite going through the same extremes in temperatures!
It could also be the manufacturers trying to cover themselves in a litigious society - they have not tested a 10 year old car seat that has been heavily used, and then been in a crash, how well will it perform. They dont want the risk, they also want consumers to keep buying new ones, so why should they even bother testing it.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics