Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Any advice/leads for a child with low immunity?
1  2  Next

Lemonade 2323

Post Mon, Nov 27 2023, 3:03 pm
Wondering if any Imas have any advice for me.

My daughter, now 10, was born early at around 7 month.
She had a lot of health problems for the first 3 years of her life, mainly with her lungs and stomach.
To give you an idea she was constantly in and out of hospital for that period of time.

She was on supplementary oxygen for much of that time & was fed via an NG tube. She was often in hospital for a simple chest infection, needing suctioning under anaesthetic followed by IVAB. We had many many such incidents but bH we weathered it and she came through it all OK.

Everything took her longer then the average child, and she had allergies and many other conditions-much of them common in children-but a lot for one child to have. As much as the rest of my other kids put together!

But she's resilient, as children are, and bounced back easily-and actually has good memories of her time in hospital. (Not least all the quality time she spent with us!)

She still has a lot of infections as her immunity is a little on the low side.
Recently she's been on a lot of antibiotics for various things, tho seemingly not connected. She's had UTIs, tooth infections, eye infections & 3 infected styes. She also has constant colds and sore throats.

She's b'H regular socially and academically and is on par with her peers, tho she misses a lot of school.

Conventional medicine can't really do much for her other then treating her symptoms as they occur.

Does anyone have any advice/suggestions or leads for me?

I have quite an extensive insurance, and as my husband is British she has citizenship there, and we could go to my in-laws if we have any good leads.

Tri-state and UK moms, any advice?

TIA.

amother
Hawthorn

Post Mon, Nov 27 2023, 3:07 pm
I assume she take vitamins?

amother
Aconite

Post Mon, Nov 27 2023, 3:09 pm
I would probably start putting her on a more nutrient-dense diet and giving her probiotics and other supplements. Make sure she gets enough sunlight and that her vitamin D levels are not low. Try to get her to take garlic (would need to mix into a food) when you see she starts coming down with something. Basically a lot of natural immune support.

#BestBubby

Post Mon, Nov 27 2023, 3:36 pm
Prbiotic and/or fermented foods like
fermented pickles, raw sauerkraut, homemade yogurt, sourdough bread

Good multivitamin

Extra C, D, zinc, quercitin - I would rotate taking these extra supplements so Monday C, Tuesday D,
Wednesday Zinc, Thursday Quercitin

Get enough sleep

Play outside in sun

Wash hands frequently with soap and water.

Eat healthy diet with lots of fruit, vegetables, nuts.

amother
Molasses

Post Mon, Nov 27 2023, 4:01 pm
Did she ever have an immunological workup?

Lemonade 2323

Post Mon, Nov 27 2023, 4:07 pm
amother Hawthorn wrote:
I assume she take vitamins?
She does, but I'm wondering if anyone can suggest a specific one.
I've had advice from ppl who sell them, but I'd love recommendations from moms who found any that were particularly helpful. Sellers are often biased.

Last edited by Lemonade 2323 on Mon, Nov 27 2023, 6:09 pm; edited 1 time in total

Lemonade 2323

Post Mon, Nov 27 2023, 4:09 pm
amother Aconite wrote:
I would probably start putting her on a more nutrient-dense diet and giving her probiotics and other supplements. Make sure she gets enough sunlight and that her vitamin D levels are not low. Try to get her to take garlic (would need to mix into a food) when you see she starts coming down with something. Basically a lot of natural immune support.

Thank you!
Is garlic effective when cooked or does it lose it's nutrients?

Lemonade 2323

Post Mon, Nov 27 2023, 4:12 pm
#BestBubby wrote:
Prbiotic and/or fermented foods like
fermented pickles, raw sauerkraut, homemade yogurt, sourdough bread

Good multivitamin

Extra C, D, zinc, quercitin - I would rotate taking these extra supplements so Monday C, Tuesday D,
Wednesday Zinc, Thursday Quercitin

Get enough sleep

Play outside in sun

Wash hands frequently with soap and water.

Eat healthy diet with lots of fruit, vegetables, nuts.

Wow thank you for this!
She gets enough sleep and has a healthy diet. Sunlight..as much as she can get in the Winter, but we try.

What does Quercitin help with?

Lemonade 2323

Post Mon, Nov 27 2023, 4:14 pm
amother Molasses wrote:
Did she ever have an immunological workup?

Yes, but all they can offer are prophelactics.

It's not really the ansa because they kill the good bacteria as well...

amother
Molasses

Post Mon, Nov 27 2023, 4:20 pm
Lemonade 2323 wrote:
Yes, but all they can offer are prophelactics.

It's not really the ansa because they kill the good bacteria as well...

We had this with my child, and at one point Dr was talking about ivig treatment. Her immunoglobulin levels were pretty good though bh, and then we also talked about ppx antibiotics. In the end we didn’t do anything drastic, and bh dc matured somewhat and handling infections better.

Lemonade 2323

Post Mon, Nov 27 2023, 4:58 pm
amother Molasses wrote:
We had this with my child, and at one point Dr was talking about ivig treatment. Her immunoglobulin levels were pretty good though bh, and then we also talked about ppx antibiotics. In the end we didn’t do anything drastic, and bh dc matured somewhat and handling infections better.

At what age did she did she grow out of it?

#BestBubby

Post Mon, Nov 27 2023, 5:03 pm
Lemonade 2323 wrote:
Wow thank you for this!
She gets enough sleep and has a healthy diet. Sunlight..as much as she can get in the Winter, but we try.

What does Quercitin help with?

Quercitin is a supplement that is an antiviral.

It was used against Covid and was similar to the drug Hydroxycloroquine.

It should be taken together with zinc. The Quercitin helps the body absorb more zinc which fights viruses.

#BestBubby

Post Mon, Nov 27 2023, 5:08 pm
Lemonade 2323 wrote:
Thank you!
Is garlic effective when cooked or does it lose it's nutrients?

I agree with Aconite that garlic is effective against viruses and bacteria.

Raw garlic is better.

You can chop raw garlic and add to chummus and salad dressings.

You can make garlic oil, chop garlic and add to olive oil. Heat oil for a few minutes. Let garlic sit in the oil for a couple of hours than strain the garlic out.

You can drop garlic oil in the ears, rub behind the ears, on soles of feet. You may smell garlicky though.

amother
Navy

Post Mon, Nov 27 2023, 5:19 pm
Organic kids plus probiotics

amother
Bluebonnet

Post Mon, Nov 27 2023, 6:00 pm
Constitutional homeopathy can help a lot with this

Lemonade 2323

Post Mon, Nov 27 2023, 6:04 pm
amother Navy wrote:
Organic kids plus probiotics

This would probably be helpful to counteract the effects of the antibiotics.
Thanks you.

Lemonade 2323

Post Mon, Nov 27 2023, 6:06 pm
amother Bluebonnet wrote:
Constitutional homeopathy can help a lot with this

Would you be able to explain what this is?

I'm finding all these replies very helpful. Although she's seen so many doctors over the years I feel it's time to try a different route.

Lemonade 2323

Post Mon, Nov 27 2023, 6:15 pm
#BestBubby wrote:
I agree with Aconite that garlic is effective against viruses and bacteria.

Raw garlic is better.

You can chop raw garlic and add to chummus and salad dressings.

You can make garlic oil, chop garlic and add to olive oil. Heat oil for a few minutes. Let garlic sit in the oil for a couple of hours than strain the garlic out.

You can drop garlic oil in the ears, rub behind the ears, on soles of feet. You may smell garlicky though.

Thanks, I'm a bit nervous to rub garlic oil onto her skin because of the smell. I don't want her to be self-conscious.
But putting raw garlic in salads, hummus is easy enough.

Wondering if raw garlic is more effective then garlic capsules?

happyone

Post Mon, Nov 27 2023, 7:08 pm
Please have her tested for igg, iga deficiency. There are treatment options such as IVIG. Vitamins won't help if a child is truly deficient, so simple labs would be recommended before embarking on a natural route.

amother
Amaryllis

Post Mon, Nov 27 2023, 7:14 pm
I have a child who was medically fragile the first few years. She was getting sick very often and doctors wanted to put her on antibiotics long term which I was very against.

I spoke to someone who knows vitamins very well but doesn't sell them. She advised me to put her on magnesium and a methylated b complex, together with vitamin c, d, and probiotics. It was very helpful as long as I was very consistent about it. I think we also put an air purifier in her room.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics