Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Toddler won't stop coughing and can't sleep
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Nov 27 2023, 8:12 pm
My toddler won't stop coughing, it's so bad that he keeps waking himself up and can't sleep and the poor baby is so exhausted.

I don't know what to do to help him.

He already has a humidifier in his room. I did vapour rub a few times a day and before bed.
All day he was just happy but tonight he won't stop coughing and crying himself awake.

The cough started last night so nothing a doctor would do yet because its just a cold.

Tips??

Moonlight

Post Mon, Nov 27 2023, 8:14 pm
Prop him up, like a rolled up towel under his pillow?
Did you give any OTC medicine?

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Mon, Nov 27 2023, 8:15 pm
amother OP wrote:
My toddler won't stop coughing, it's so bad that he keeps waking himself up and can't sleep and the poor baby is so exhausted.

He already has a humidifier in his room. I did vapour rub a few times a day and before bed.
All day he was just happy but tonight he won't stop coughing and crying himself awake.

The cough started last night so nothing a doctor would do yet because its just a cold.

Tips??

Why would a dr do nothing ?

Maybe it's pneumonia, bronchitis, RSV?

May he needs steroids, a nebulizer, Inhaler?

I would see a doc

amother
Whitewash

Post Mon, Nov 27 2023, 8:16 pm
We had that. We needed to get him a nebulizer treatment.

amother
Valerian

Tilt his cot a little.
Head should be higher then the heart.

amother
Phlox

Prop him high on 2-3 pillows and tell him to sleep on his stomach, NOT his back!

honey36

Post Mon, Nov 27 2023, 8:27 pm
If the room is large a small humidifier won't do much. Make sure the humidifier is on full blast, close door to room, and get a bigger humidifier if it's a small room. Works well for my kids. Sometimes I don't even have the humidifier on, kid will be coughing themselves awake. I'll turn it on and it Takes about 1/2 hour, but then they stop coughing.

amother
Coffee

Post Mon, Nov 27 2023, 8:28 pm
Give him an extra layer (undershirt, pjs, etc) to keep warm.
Is it asthma? My son was helped with singulair.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Nov 27 2023, 8:39 pm
Moonlight wrote:
Prop him up, like a rolled up towel under his pillow?
Did you give any OTC medicine?

I can't prop him up because he rolls around in his sleep. He still changes positions and sides of the crib all night long.

I only have feverall - I'll try it

amother
OP

Post Mon, Nov 27 2023, 8:39 pm
honey36 wrote:
If the room is large a small humidifier won't do much. Make sure the humidifier is on full blast, close door to room, and get a bigger humidifier if it's a small room. Works well for my kids. Sometimes I don't even have the humidifier on, kid will be coughing themselves awake. I'll turn it on and it Takes about 1/2 hour, but then they stop coughing.

It's a tiny room and large humidifier and hasn't helped much tonight.

amother
Tomato

Post Mon, Nov 27 2023, 8:41 pm
Nebulizer helps my kids every time they have these coughs. It’s a good thing to have on hand honestly. Albutoral and budesonide.

Try putting onions or even valet rub on his feet as well

amother
Clear

Post Mon, Nov 27 2023, 8:42 pm
amother OP wrote:
I can't prop him up because he rolls around in his sleep. He still changes positions and sides of the crib all night long.

I only have feverall - I'll try it

You can put a pillow on both sides of the crib....m
You can also try alternating between a hot shower and cold air at about 3 minutes intervals each.

amother
Tomato

Post Mon, Nov 27 2023, 8:42 pm
amother OP wrote:
It's a tiny room and large humidifier and hasn't helped much tonight.

Mixed reviews on humidifier. Doesn’t work for all coughs

amother
Clear

Post Mon, Nov 27 2023, 8:45 pm
amother Tomato wrote:
Mixed reviews on humidifier. Doesn’t work for all coughs

It can sometimes make a cough worse and even be dangerous ch'v.

amother
Cerise

Post Mon, Nov 27 2023, 8:45 pm
Do you have an urgent care in your area? If he's up anyway check him at the urgent care. He might need antibiotics for bronchitis, pneumonia...

giftedmom

Post Mon, Nov 27 2023, 8:46 pm
amother OP wrote:

Tips??

Benadryl. My kids sometimes have that with strept.

Last edited by giftedmom on Mon, Nov 27 2023, 8:49 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Mayflower

Post Mon, Nov 27 2023, 8:47 pm
What worked for me was Vicks rubbed on the soles of his feet and his chest. Cover the feet in socks. Not baby Vicks. Regular.

scintilla

Post Mon, Nov 27 2023, 9:02 pm
If he's up anyways, you have time to try this: run the shower on the hottest setting with door & window closed until the room is extremely steamed up. Sit in there with him for as long as you can handle, the longer the better (not under the water, you can turn the water off but if you can leave it running while you're in the room the steam will be even better).

While you're waiting for the room to steam up, does your doctor have an after hours line? Doesn't sound so concerning to me but RSV is going around so it's good to know what warning signs are that you should be looking out for as these things tend to get worse at night. They can tell you without having to go anywhere.

amother
Steel

Post Mon, Nov 27 2023, 9:03 pm
amother OP wrote:

Tips??

If a child is coughing so badly that it wakes them from sleep, how can you *know* it is “nothing” unless: A) YOU are a pediatrician B) You TOOK him to a pediatrician?!

How could you know that ‘something’ did not start even after only “a day”? (Esp with RSV making the rounds).

I would not run to a doc for nothing but if it is to a point of waking him… it is time.

(Another topic not for now is which peds diagnose properly and which dont but I digress).

Please take your child to a doctor asap and BE”H it IS “nothing”…

Refuah shelaimah.

#BestBubby

Post Mon, Nov 27 2023, 9:05 pm
Child should sleep in stroller, reclining at 45 degree angle. In between straight up and flat.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics