Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Costco shopping list

seeker

Post Wed, Nov 29 2023, 11:44 am
Fell for the black Friday promo and now I'm a Costco member.

Here's what I know to look for there:
Basic groceries, keeping an eye on per-lb prices.
Bottled water
Baby wipes
Garbage bags
Kleenex which has always been out of stock the last few times I went but hope springs eternal.
If I ever run out of my supply from last time I tagged along with a member - parchment paper and vanilla extract.

What else is either unique or has better prices than, say, Amazon sales or Walmart\shoprite generic brand?

peace2

Post Wed, Nov 29 2023, 11:53 am
Depends on your location, but Empire chicken (cutlets and on the bone) and cholov yisroel cheese

amother
Slateblue

Post Wed, Nov 29 2023, 12:00 pm
Things we buy from costco:

Rommaine lettuce
Fresh mushrooms
Bananas, Apples, grapefruit, avocado, fruit etc
Huge snack bags like pretzel chips, veggie straws, pita chips, tortilla chips, Bare Apple chips
Salmon
Hotdogs
Frozen garlic
Cheese sticks
Grillos pickles
Knishes
Eggs
Chicken nuggets
Frozen tilapia
Frozen fruits/veggies
Almond flour
Basmati rice
Canned Chickpeas
Honeymaid graham crackers (ou-d not real dairy)
Kirkland animal crackers (ou-d not real dairy)
Sugar
McCormick Spices
Honey
Dried mango
9x13s
Fig bars

singleagain

Post Wed, Nov 29 2023, 12:07 pm
Plastic cutlery
We also buy the we like the big colorful plastic cups

Also, I personally love the Costco shirts. I find that they're high neck, long sleeves and come in all the different seasons

lfab

Post Wed, Nov 29 2023, 12:28 pm
I get tons of stuff there. It's possible you might be able to some of the stuff cheaper on sale on Amazon(like toilet paper or paper towels). But if you just want to get without having to chase down a sale and know you're still getting a decent price then worth it to get at costco.

Toilet paper-kirkland brand
Paper towels -kirkland brand
Tissues
Diapers/wipes
Baby formula (if you're in that stage)
Ensure (not a product used by most people but of you need for some reason I've found they have the best price)
Ibuprofen/acetaminophen- both adults and children's
Paper goods-plastic cutlery, paper plates and bowls, 9x13 pans, parchment paper
Snacks- if you don't keep c"y you can get lots of individually packaged snacks for chair than elsewhere
Tortilla chips
Nuts
Granola bars
Produce-lettuce, mushrooms, green beans, strawberries, grapes
Frozen blueberries
Frozen tilapia
Frozen salmon
Empire chicken- both on the bone and cutlets are cheaper for me to get on costcob than in the kosher grocery stores where I live but this is location dependent.
Ketchup
Cereal
Bottled water
Oil
Spices
Oil spray

That's all I can think of right now, though I'm sure there are more.

amother
Cognac

Post Wed, Nov 29 2023, 12:32 pm
My budget for packaged school snacks is .33 or less per bag, and I often find that there. Dried fruit tends to be well priced. Ketchup, hot sauce , olives , olive oil. Gefen beets.

lucky14

Post Wed, Nov 29 2023, 12:33 pm
Maybe it’s location dependent but most of the produce at the Costco near me are kind of expensive.
Bottled water and cereal are also pricier than the grocery sale prices.

Granola bars are a decent price. As are chips and some other snacks.
Batteries are cheaper there.
Empire chicken and frozen pizza are cheaper than the local grocers.

Eggs are more expensive. Target has cheaper.

bread flour. $8 for a 10lb bag of King Arthur. It’s much pricier everywhere else.

seeker

Post Wed, Nov 29 2023, 12:43 pm
Are their paper goods less than the Jewish stores? Outside of Costco I've found that the Jewish stores are waaay ahead in disposables.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Wed, Nov 29 2023, 12:51 pm
OP, what about gas for your car which is supposed to be cheaper too.

amother
Dahlia

Post Wed, Nov 29 2023, 12:56 pm
seeker wrote:
Are their paper goods less than the Jewish stores? Outside of Costco I've found that the Jewish stores are waaay ahead in disposables.

Not necessarily cheaper but better quality. In the Jewish stores they have bendable plastic forks which works fine but Costco has hard plastic forks which is better quality. 9x13 tins are much better quality. The napkins are so much thicker and more absorbent

seeker

Post Wed, Nov 29 2023, 4:41 pm
I don't think the one by me has gas:-(

Thank you all for sharing! We'll have to take a field trip there soon (is there anything worth ordering online?)

amother
Taupe

Post Wed, Nov 29 2023, 5:09 pm
These lists are good, but you need to know both your quality and your prices.
In the produce is probably comparable in price to ShopRite per pound, and you have to buy a lot. It is significantly more expensive than my local “Farmers Market” (you know, the really cheap fruit store, not the Amish who come to the municipal parking lot once a week during the summer months). However, the fruit and vegetables are boutique quality. So if you’re looking to save money, go to the cheap food store. If you want quality and can afford, buy at Costco.
Tin pans for example, the ones I buy an amazing savings are definitely cheaper. Anybody know how much they are at this time? The Costco ones are significantly better in quality. My mil double pans the amazing savings ones because the lack stabily- cooking zucchini, AS is fine, a 5lb roast, not so much. Anyway, They are 30 for $10 and last week they were on sale three dollars off. B”H I am wealthy enough to have disposable income, but not so rich that I don’t care about prices. I bought four cases which will last quite a while.
Pads and tampons – they carry Always/Tampax pearl. They are significantly cheaper than the drugstore or supermarket. However, the dollar store probably has an off brand where you pay less per piece. Also noted they have four dollar off coupons every few months stock up then.**** many items are a few dollars off on occasion. I don’t buy most things unless there is a coupon and then I stock up.

I don’t think bottled water is cheap anywhere else on the planet.
I buy clothing there all the time, but I don’t live in a community where I need to wear frum styles.

Empire chicken cutlets for $5.49 a pound, but you need to invest in Ziploc freezer bags and play butcher. Unless you use 6 pounds at a time. I’m happy to play butcher and not pay $8.99 a pound.

I do 80% of my shopping at Costco. In addition to produce, paper goods (buy on sale), pajamas and clothing, secular Holocaust books, ketchup, snacks, seltzer and water (coke products are high), I am so have jewelry, furniture, and tires.

I spend enough that my executive rewards (2%) are a few hundred dollars annually.

amother
Taupe

Post Wed, Nov 29 2023, 5:14 pm
seeker wrote:
I don't think the one by me has gas:-(

Thank you all for sharing! We'll have to take a field trip there soon (is there anything worth ordering online?)

Regarding ordering on-line

Most things are cheaper in store.
Jewelry and furniture is not necessary available.
David’s cakes for example are only available on line as is a cricut machine.
However noted sometimes the clothing has an online only promotion, so even though it is cheaper in stores, it comes out less online.
(what I bought this week. The socks I believe are 899 in-store. 999 online however, it was by five items and get $20 or $25 off your purchase. So buying 5 packs online came out much cheaper)

There’s a learning curve, but it becomes very easy and self evident

theoneandonly

Post Wed, Nov 29 2023, 5:16 pm
Tide pods
Ziploc bags
Dishwasher detergent

farm

Post Wed, Nov 29 2023, 5:25 pm
Check out the monthly specials and that’s when u stock up on a lot of the name brand stuff-
Kleenex tissues
Bounty paper towel
Charming toilet paper
Clorox wipes
Vanity (Shabbos) napkins
Contact lense solution
Head and Shoulders and Pantene shampoo
Dove body wash
Averno moisturiser
Finish dishwasher soap and rinse aid
Advil
Cheerios
Chex
Life
Heinz Ketchup
Oreos
Nature Valley granola bars
Etc

As far as non specials, we find the chicken, chicken cutlets, chopped turkey, shredded and American cheese to consistently be a lot better priced than kosher grocery.
Romaine lettuce too if you have the time and patience to soak rinse and check. Otherwise I don’t find the produce consistently cheaper but certainly excellent quality.

amother
Strawberry

Post Wed, Nov 29 2023, 5:59 pm
I order toilet paper/napkins/ paper towels, snack bags (veggie straws, potato chips, popcorn), nuts, wipes, oil, coffee all online and ship.

I go into the store for mini chumus, chicken and cheese, salmon,

amother
Glitter

Post Wed, Nov 29 2023, 6:12 pm
Anyone find that the chicken cutlets are very tough ? I stopped buying it

amother
Strawberry

Post Wed, Nov 29 2023, 7:23 pm
amother Glitter wrote:
Anyone find that the chicken cutlets are very tough ? I stopped buying it

They're empire... We had some for dinner tonight and they were delicious

amother
Cognac

Post Wed, Nov 29 2023, 7:25 pm
My empire chicken cutlets have been tough recently too, but I was buying them somewhere else. Interesting.

seeker

Post Wed, Nov 29 2023, 7:29 pm
amother Taupe wrote:
Regarding ordering on-line

Most things are cheaper in store.
Jewelry and furniture is not necessary available.
David’s cakes for example are only available on line as is a cricut machine.
However noted sometimes the clothing has an online only promotion, so even though it is cheaper in stores, it comes out less online.
(what I bought this week. The socks I believe are 899 in-store. 999 online however, it was by five items and get $20 or $25 off your purchase. So buying 5 packs online came out much cheaper)

There’s a learning curve, but it becomes very easy and self evident

Thanks for the tip. I don't think I have the head for all this but it's good to know
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics