Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
1:4 or 2:8 ratio for babysitting

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 29 2023, 5:03 pm
Which would you be more comfortable with?

On the one hand 1:4 is a smaller group overall, probably quieter with less crying, less exposure to illnesses etc...

But 2:8 means that even if one caregiver goes to the bathroom, there will be someone with the kids (how does that even work when there's just one?). I also feel like (and maybe I'm projecting here) taking care of babies all day feels isolating and can get boring and perhaps the caregivers are in a better mental space when they have adult company?

Chayalle

Post Wed, Nov 29 2023, 5:37 pm
I prefer two caregivers, personally.

And as they get older (playgroup age) I had a rule for myself, I did not send my kids to a playgroup unless there were two non-related Morahs.

belovedaz

Post Wed, Nov 29 2023, 5:39 pm
2 for 8. I sent to a group of 2 for 12 and was very happy. I like the idea of 2 adults

amother
Black

Post Wed, Nov 29 2023, 5:43 pm
I am a babysitter. I work in a 2:8 setting, the kids have more friends, another adult to speak to and also if you need the restroom there is another adult. I was offered the job of 3 kids by myself. I had done it in the past but I prefer working with other people

amother
Linen

Post Wed, Nov 29 2023, 5:52 pm
2:8
The morahs can help each other out, they have company, and there are 2 sets of eyes on the babies
Or while one is changing a baby the other can watch the others

amother
DarkKhaki

Post Wed, Nov 29 2023, 5:55 pm
Definitely 2 morahs.

Only exception was when I had a baby with a compromised immune system I wanted her in the smallest group possible. But for a healthy baby definitely the second Morah and more kids

amother
Stonewash

Post Wed, Nov 29 2023, 6:00 pm
How old is the baby?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 29 2023, 6:10 pm
amother Stonewash wrote:
How old is the baby?

Let's say for the 2 months to 8 months stage

mommyhood

Post Wed, Nov 29 2023, 6:17 pm
The more I’ve been sending to playgroups and babysitters the more I see that there are instances sometimes frequent instances where only 1 Morah is actually with the kids. I’ve seen where one goes to run a short errand like pick up a sick kid but it’s ok to leave becaue someone else is there, or one is upstairs eating lunch because the assistant needs a break or one is cleaning up or preparing a project inside the house while the other Morah is supervising outside. Find out from mothers who’ve send if that’s happening before assuming 2 is better than 1.

amother
Aqua

Post Wed, Nov 29 2023, 6:40 pm
I have a playgroup that's 1:4.
I use the bathroom while the kids are asleep. Because it's so few kids, I often get one on one time with the babies. A few nap at once, and only one baby will be up at a time. Or only one is hungry, so I can address his needs while the others are playing. Babies are changed promptly, fed when they're hungry. Each one naps in his own space. The place is completely baby-proof, and if anyone needs me, I'm available.
I can't say if it's better than 2:8, just sharing my perspective. I would go with your comfort level with the caregiver(s), distance to your house, how the house itself feels to you. Hours, if they're different in different places.

amother
Lemon

Post Wed, Nov 29 2023, 6:43 pm
Neither. They both are too high a ratio.

amother
Apple

Post Wed, Nov 29 2023, 6:58 pm
Chayalle wrote:
I prefer two caregivers, personally.

And as they get older (playgroup age) I had a rule for myself, I did not send my kids to a playgroup unless there were two non-related Morahs.
this!

amother
Bellflower

Post Wed, Nov 29 2023, 7:01 pm
amother Apple wrote:
this!

Why?

paperflowers

Post Wed, Nov 29 2023, 8:22 pm
2:8 provided the space is large enough. But really 1:4 with an assistant at least part time.

Elilove

Post Wed, Nov 29 2023, 8:50 pm
amother Aqua wrote:
I have a playgroup that's 1:4.
I use the bathroom while the kids are asleep. Because it's so few kids, I often get one on one time with the babies. A few nap at once, and only one baby will be up at a time. Or only one is hungry, so I can address his needs while the others are playing. Babies are changed promptly, fed when they're hungry. Each one naps in his own space. The place is completely baby-proof, and if anyone needs me, I'm available.
I can't say if it's better than 2:8, just sharing my perspective. I would go with your comfort level with the caregiver(s), distance to your house, how the house itself feels to you. Hours, if they're different in different places.

I have a 1:4 playgroup too. There are definitely pros and cons to both.

Elilove

Post Wed, Nov 29 2023, 8:52 pm
amother Lemon wrote:

If someone is sending their kid out, this is pretty much the best there is out there. I haven’t sent my kid out yet and when I do eventually, I’d love a smaller group (2:6 maybe). But nobody does that it’s impossible to find.

amother
Stonewash

Post Wed, Nov 29 2023, 8:57 pm
amother OP wrote:
Let's say for the 2 months to 8 months stage

I would say 1:4 provided there is a safety plan in place for emergencies like fires or medical emergencies etc.

In both 1:4 and 2:8 the ratio is 1 morah for 4 babies, which isn’t a great ratio for that age but could be ok depending on the babysitter. At that age think the benefits of a calmer environment outweigh the benefit of having another morah there. Like another poster said, often with 2:8 it will end up being 1:8…

amother
Maple

Post Wed, Nov 29 2023, 11:30 pm
amother Lemon wrote:

Mother watching her own baby and obviously not while working is (almost) always best!
(And only if she makes supper, clean the house and do laundry while baby is napping!) Wink

Sebastian

Post Thu, Nov 30 2023, 12:26 am
Elilove wrote:
If someone is sending their kid out, this is pretty much the best there is out there. I haven’t sent my kid out yet and when I do eventually, I’d love a smaller group (2:6 maybe). But nobody does that it’s impossible to find.

This is the legal ratio. It is very managable with a good morah

amother
Pewter

Post Thu, Nov 30 2023, 7:15 am
amother Maple wrote:
Mother watching her own baby and obviously not while working is (almost) always best!
(And only if she makes supper, clean the house and do laundry while baby is napping!) Wink

Even if she is working, it's still better than sending such a young baby out.
Very few things beat a parent's presence - even a distracted parent's presence - so long as the home is not abusive or neglectful.

At a babysitter's the baby is not getting 100% attention, either.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics