Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
How to ask a school to allow your child to graduate early?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 29 2023, 5:42 pm
How would you ask you kids school to let your child graduate early? Do you have to pay extra tuition? Obviously child would have to complete the extra work. Would you explain why you think its a good idea? For this kid its because they are done, bored and I fear they won't finish if this drags on. Changing schools is not an option for senior year. Only to all helpful suggestions. Thanks

amother
Oatmeal

Post Wed, Nov 29 2023, 5:44 pm
Do you feel like you can have a realistic conversation with the school?

amother
Lightblue

Post Wed, Nov 29 2023, 5:46 pm
Is this child in the senior year? If you paid tuition for the year then I don't see why you should have to pay extra.
I like to think that the school staff isn't stupid. If you sense a problem like your child being too ahead of the class then they most likely will have picked up on it too and will hopefully agree to work with you.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 29 2023, 5:47 pm
Yes, I think so. I just want to be prepared. I honestly think they will be most concerned about the potential financial loss.

amother
Babypink

Post Wed, Nov 29 2023, 7:25 pm
You can raise the conversation with them but I don't know how many schools allow this. When I discussed something similar with my daughter's principal (a large school, situation specific to my daughter) he told me that they understand that for some girls it's best to leave after 11th grade, but if they give a diploma to girls who leave after 11th grade then they will lose half the 12th grade each year. Girls who leave early have to do correspondence courses to get their remaining credits and a diploma (from the correspondence school) or get their GED. You may need to look into options like that.

amother
Steel

Post Wed, Nov 29 2023, 7:30 pm
I graduated high school close ton20 years ago. We had to pay a $500 deposit at the beginning of the year, which we got back if we didn't graduate early. 4 girls in my class graduated early. They turned 18 at the very beginning of the year, in October. They we done with school.
My sister in law graduated high school 2 years ago, she graduated early but her school did give issues.

amother
Coffee

Post Wed, Nov 29 2023, 7:36 pm
I can’t imagine any school giving diplomas after 11th grade but you can try having that conversation. Not even necessarily for the financial loss (the girl leaving regardless would be the same loss) but for the fact that it would create a precedent they probably would want to avoid.

Also when will she complete her credits? I assume they’d require her to complete 12th grade math, English, science and some Hebrew subjects in order to qualify for the diploma.

I left school a few months early during my senior year but I did not have enough credits for my diploma anyways due to being out of school for a while early on in high school. I felt school was suffocating and was having panic attacks pretty often (suffered from severe anxiety) so after speaking to a rav my parents agreed to let me leave early and get my GED, with a solid plan for what I’d be doing afterwards. And it helped that I was anyways not going to get a diploma.

Personally I’m not sure letting them leave because they’re bored is a right choice. After high school they’ll be entering the real world where things aren’t always fun or enjoyable but we do what we have to do to get by. Quitting because they are bored is setting them up for future failures and unrealistic expectations, IME

What is their plan for after leaving school?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children