Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Simcha Section
What do you do when you cannot dance?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 30 2023, 3:38 pm
I can’t for the life of me dance to a beat. It’s soon my daughters wedding and I’m all nervous that I have 2 left feet. Ladies what do you do by weddings if u can’t dance??

amother
Midnight

Post Thu, Nov 30 2023, 3:40 pm
Many kallahs & mechitenistas go to private dance lessons before the wedding.

amother
Crystal

Post Thu, Nov 30 2023, 3:41 pm
I took private lessons before my wedding
I learnt 2 simple steps
Wear a long gown so your feet are covered 😉

amother
Daffodil

Post Thu, Nov 30 2023, 3:41 pm
Before my wedding, I went with my mother for a few dancing lessons just so we'd know the basic steps to do.

Chayalle

Post Thu, Nov 30 2023, 3:45 pm
We got someone to come dance with us one night before the wedding. It was great, I felt so much more prepared.

amother
Marigold

Post Thu, Nov 30 2023, 5:12 pm
Same, dancing lessons (one time thing) really helped me

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 30 2023, 5:26 pm
Can you really learn from one time dancing lessons?

amother
Midnight

Post Thu, Nov 30 2023, 5:32 pm
amother OP wrote:

Yes. But if you need more, get more.

bsy

Post Thu, Nov 30 2023, 5:47 pm
amother OP wrote:

Yes, there are specific dances they teach so you don't get dizzy. One time was enough, we reviewed it ourselves

Last edited by bsy on Thu, Nov 30 2023, 6:14 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Garnet

Post Thu, Nov 30 2023, 5:49 pm
You dont need to dance the entire time.

Mazel tov!

amother
Celeste

Post Thu, Nov 30 2023, 6:06 pm
Get the song schedule. Take a few lessons to learn how to dance to ONE of the songs. Get pics/videos from that one song. You can sit out the rest.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 30 2023, 6:08 pm
I just want to learn basic steps. I wish someone would have a dance video that I could learn from.

amother
Brickred

Post Thu, Nov 30 2023, 6:16 pm
OP I can't dance for the life of me yet was able to dance at my children's weddings.
Lessons sounds like a great idea. If for anything it will put your mind at ease.
Enjoy and remember, you are the ''Mom''. Even with mistakes in the steps.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Thu, Nov 30 2023, 6:41 pm
My mother and I can't dance. We both mostly hugged people, held their hands and moved around a little but mostly hugged. I also only danced a little by both dances and then sat down and let people dance for me. I really don't enjoy dancing.

doodlesmom

Post Thu, Nov 30 2023, 8:08 pm
The mother of the bride usually dances in the center in smaller groups, not so much in the bigger outer circle where intricate steps are the norm.

All you need is rhythm really. And if you don’t got it I don’t think it can be taught.

Honestly I was just at a wedding where a kallah just could not dance to the beat and I literally needed to look away. But guess what it isn’t a requirement for marriage.

amother
Plum

Post Thu, Nov 30 2023, 8:32 pm
Hi op! This is my biggest fear. That I will make a fool of myself at my children’s weddings….
As soon as dancing starts when I’m at a wedding, I cringe. I don’t know how to dance/move so I’ve come to hate dancing. I am so embarrassed to dance in the middle and have no idea how to move.
Thank you for starting this thread! I always thought I am the only one who can’t dance for the life of me!
I live in Lakewood if anyone can recommend someone who can teach me a little so I won’t be so embarrassed…
Op, where do you live? Maybe you can get some recommendations for someone who can teach you how to dance?
Mazel Tov!! I hope you will enjoy your simcha!

amother
Blushpink

Post Thu, Nov 30 2023, 9:40 pm
Years ago there was a CD you could buy that taught simcha dancing. I wonder if they still have something similar. Nice because you can practice in the privacy of your own home. But anyway you’re going to be in a gown so it doesn’t really matter what you do with your feet.

amother
Lotus

Post Thu, Nov 30 2023, 10:05 pm
I know how to dance, except I HATE dancing. Literally can't stand it. My heart starts pounding the second the dancing starts, and I stand there looking like and idiot, which I alternate with trips to the bathroom so I don't have to dance.
If I'm close to the kallah, being pulled into the center is just so nerve-wracking.

Oh, my oldest daughter just became a kallah! I'm already freaking out about the dancing, and the lack of being able to escape!

Also, I get SO overheating when dancing. I don't even know how I'm going to do this in a fancy monthe of the kallah gown which look so heavy! The lighter material ones I've found all have open lace, and need shells. Shells are ridiculously uncomfortable for me!

amother
Goldenrod

Post Thu, Nov 30 2023, 10:08 pm
Most simcha dancing is just holding hands and walking jauntily to music in a circle.

amother
Black

Post Thu, Nov 30 2023, 11:12 pm
If you can move in and out to the beat while holding hands with someone , you're fine! If youre not sure ,then just practice with your daughter. There's no real dancing going on, just holding hands and moving to the music. The rest of the people just walk in circles.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics