Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Is "deli" for cold cuts / deli meat a frum / in-town thing?
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother
Slateblue

Post Fri, Dec 01 2023, 3:01 am
amother Birch wrote:
I understood all those different terms for the meat...

But I have no idea what the expression "in town" means in this context!

Is that a frum expression?

I think its a term made up by brooklyners, lakewooders, monseyers etc to make them feel better than others.
No other reason for such a phrase.
I never heard this phrase before this site.
And I grew up in the tri state area.

amother
Catmint

Post Fri, Dec 01 2023, 3:13 am
mandr wrote:
My friend from Chicago calls it "deli". I'm from NY and call it "cold cuts".

Chicagoan born and bred here. We always called it cold cuts.

Reality

Post Fri, Dec 01 2023, 3:21 am
amother Birch wrote:
I understood all those different terms for the meat...

But I have no idea what the expression "in town" means in this context!

Is that a frum expression?

I think it's based off a more old fashion collaqualism. I know an older, non-religious, non-New Yorker who says "going to town" when she means going to Manhattan. Kind of similar when people say "going to the city" and depending what state you live in, it refers to a different major city.

Reality

Post Fri, Dec 01 2023, 3:48 am
I'm from NY and call it cold cuts. One of my kids recently asked me what his friend meant when he said he loves to eat deli. This boy is originally from the Midwest with BT parents.

#BestBubby

Post Fri, Dec 01 2023, 3:48 am
It's a modern term.

I grew up in intown NY and everyone said cold cuts.

But in the last 15? Years, people started saying Deli instead.

Success10

Post Fri, Dec 01 2023, 4:00 am
#BestBubby wrote:
It's a modern term.

I grew up in intown NY and everyone said cold cuts.

But in the last 15? Years, people started saying Deli instead.

So basically anyone on this thread who said they call it "cold cuts" is just dating themselves? Haha, oops.

amother
Lily

Post Fri, Dec 01 2023, 6:22 am
My mom (mid-60s) calls it deli, she is from Brooklyn. I also call it deli, grew up in NJ, I'm around 40. I thought deli was the outdated term because I live in Israel and no one else I know calls it deli!

'In town' was a phrase I was familiar with growing up in NJ. Though NJ was generally only borderline in town.

amother
Lotus

Post Fri, Dec 01 2023, 6:37 am
My mother in law grew up in the Bronx in the 1940s and 50s and she always called it deli. My mother grew up in Brooklyn in the same era and said both deli and cold cuts. I'm not sure how any of this became politicized except that there appears to be a fear of failing to properly conform to "in town" terminology. I say "Eh. potato, potahto, we Jews could use more unity." So whether you're serving cold cuts or deli along with your meal tomorrow, hope it's a Good Shabbos.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Dec 01 2023, 6:41 am
tichellady wrote:
I don’t understand your question. Why wouldn’t you call it deli? That’s what it’s called.

I'm always amazed what a bubble some of the in-town people on here live in and can't fathom that they may have developed a very specific culture / language...

amother
Jade

Post Fri, Dec 01 2023, 6:43 am
Grew up in NYC, in my mid 30s, always used both cold cuts and deli interchangeably. As for lunch meat, only ever heard that from British people.

Simple1

Post Fri, Dec 01 2023, 6:55 am
Grew up Brooklyn and live in Lakewood. We call it cold cuts or specific names like turkey or salami. Deli is usually for recipes such as deli roll and salad. I would assume as mentioned that Deli is a New York City thing as they are famous for delicatessens, or maybe as BB said it’s a young people’s thing?

amother
Stonewash

Post Fri, Dec 01 2023, 6:59 am
amother OP wrote:
I'm always amazed what a bubble some of the in-town people on here live in and can't fathom that they may have developed a very specific culture / language...

Everyone here has just made it very clear that it's NOT an in-town thing.
Why do you persist in this?

Simple1

Post Fri, Dec 01 2023, 7:00 am
amother Slateblue wrote:
I think its a term made up by brooklyners, lakewooders, monseyers etc to make them feel better than others.
No other reason for such a phrase.
I never heard this phrase before this site.
And I grew up in the tri state area.

I think it’s because frum people tend to live together because we need the infrastructure. The larger the community, the more convenient. It’s not because we think we’re better. I’ve heard out of towners who hate anything to do with Lakewood.

amother
Nasturtium

Post Fri, Dec 01 2023, 7:01 am
amother OP wrote:
You’re responding to a poster who clearly said she is not in town. Talk about one track mind.

It’s a regional thing. Nothing to do with in town.

amother
Mintgreen

Post Fri, Dec 01 2023, 7:06 am
Yes!! We never called it deli growing up. We used to call it cold cuts. Now that I live in NY, we do.

amother
Slateblue

Post Fri, Dec 01 2023, 7:07 am
Simple1 wrote:
I think it’s because frum people tend to live together because we need the infrastructure. The larger the community, the more convenient. It’s not because we think we’re better. I’ve heard out of towners who hate anything to do with Lakewood.

But you just said it, right here. Out of towners. Who decided whst is in and what is out of town?

Simple1

Post Fri, Dec 01 2023, 7:12 am
amother Slateblue wrote:
But you just said it, right here. Out of towners. Who decided whst is in and what is out of town?

I explained in the post you quoted. If you disagree, that’s ok. Please call it what you want!

amother
Green

Post Fri, Dec 01 2023, 8:09 am
amother OP wrote:

And I’m amazed at the lengths people will go to just to find anything wrong with a yid in the Tristate area.
For the record, I’m from out of town originally, I say deli. My mother is from Brooklyn, she’s says deli. Deli’s are notoriously Jewish, so I think is Jews get a bit of a right to call it what we want.
Also, get the chip off of your shoulder. Maybe actually spending time in Brooklyn or Lakewood would help you feel a little better instead of hating from afar

amother
Slateblue

Post Fri, Dec 01 2023, 8:37 am
amother Green wrote:
And I’m amazed at the lengths people will go to just to find anything wrong with a yid in the Tristate area.
For the record, I’m from out of town originally, I say deli. My mother is from Brooklyn, she’s says deli. Deli’s are notoriously Jewish, so I think is Jews get a bit of a right to call it what we want.
Also, get the chip off of your shoulder. Maybe actually spending time in Brooklyn or Lakewood would help you feel a little better instead of hating from afar

I grew up in the tri state area. I have been to brooklyn many many times. Have family who lives there.
There is no chip on her shoulder.
Im not sure why it is, but it is actually a thing where some women talk about where they live as if its the center of the world and no other place is as good. Ive seen this often here on this site.

amother
Obsidian

Post Fri, Dec 01 2023, 8:42 am
amother Poinsettia wrote:
Lol no it’s not. It’s deli MEAT. Or it’s cold cuts.

So your issue is you want everyone to say both words? And the shortcut bothers you? Why is meat necessary it’s kinda obvious. I didn’t think it was deli eggs or deli cereal. Why is MEAT so extremely necessary?
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen