Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Is "deli" for cold cuts / deli meat a frum / in-town thing?
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother
Green

Post Fri, Dec 01 2023, 8:43 am
amother Slateblue wrote:
I grew up in the tri state area. I have been to brooklyn many many times. Have family who lives there.
There is no chip on her shoulder.
Im not sure why it is, but it is actually a thing where some women talk about where they live as if its the center of the world and no other place is as good. Ive seen this often here on this site.

Yea, that’s very normal. I grew up oot and that place was the center of the world for me. Each person lives in the center of their own world
I think the hate on Lakewood and Brooklyn has been on an overdose for the past while here and it’s not on lakewooders or Brooklynites to get other people to stop hating them anymore.
Everyone needs to stop

amother
Obsidian

Post Fri, Dec 01 2023, 8:45 am
In town/ frum call it cold cuts majority of the time. So this sounds more like an oot silliness this time. Sorry op.

amother
Obsidian

Post Fri, Dec 01 2023, 8:47 am
amother Slateblue wrote:
I think its a term made up by brooklyners, lakewooders, monseyers etc to make them feel better than others.
No other reason for such a phrase.
I never heard this phrase before this site.
And I grew up in the tri state area.

Nah it’s made up by the people who want to be proud they are NOT in town. So it started as a bullying thing. When I was in camp as a Brooklyn girl this was drilled into my head, I was in town they were out of town and I better know the difference in every conversation. It was an integral part of their labeling and judgement. This was back in the 90s.

amother
Pistachio

Post Fri, Dec 01 2023, 8:48 am
OP, where are you from where the only terms used are either deli meat or lunch meat?

amother
Slateblue

Post Fri, Dec 01 2023, 9:09 am
amother Obsidian wrote:
Nah it’s made up by the people who want to be proud they are NOT in town. So it started as a bullying thing. When I was in camp as a Brooklyn girl this was drilled into my head, I was in town they were out of town and I better know the difference in every conversation. It was an integral part of their labeling and judgement. This was back in the 90s.

Im telling you as someone who grew up in the tri state area, but not one of those places, that it was not made up by those not living there.
I never heard this phrase growing up.
I grew up in the 80s and 90s.

Amarante

Post Fri, Dec 01 2023, 9:13 am
Not a frum thing but possibly a New York City regionalism

FWIW I differentiate between "cold cuts" as being the generic term for packaged meat that one would use in a sandwich. It is something I purchase at a grocery store. And they are literally served "cold".

Deli is what I use for the authentic stuff that is freshly sliced to order - pastrami, corned beef and even turkey when they roast a whole bird. This is when I get the real deal - hot pastrami sandwich at the DELI.

keym

Post Fri, Dec 01 2023, 9:17 am
amother Slateblue wrote:
Im telling you as someone who grew up in the tri state area, but not one of those places, that it was not made up by those not living there.
I never heard this phrase growing up.
I grew up in the 80s and 90s.

I was raised OOT in the 90s and there definitely was a very strong reverse snobbery anti-NY attitude.
We were OOTERS and we were very proud of how we were infinitely smarter, better-rounded, better educated, more open minded, and had nicer middos than all those intowners who think they're so great.

amother
DarkKhaki

Post Fri, Dec 01 2023, 10:17 am
amother Obsidian wrote:

Yup same here.
I'm a bit younger than you, I was in camp in the early 2000's. I had no idea what "in town/OOT" was until I went to camp and was made fun of and ridiculed for being an in-towner (by the supposedly very kind, open minded, non judgmental OOT girls who have MUCH better middos than us snobby in town girls)

amother
Charcoal

Post Fri, Dec 01 2023, 10:29 am
amother Catmint wrote:
Chicagoan born and bred here. We always called it cold cuts.

I was born and raised In Chicago, and both my parents were also born and raised in Chicago. We all called it Deli.

amother
Charcoal

Post Fri, Dec 01 2023, 10:30 am
keym wrote:
I was raised OOT in the 90s and there definitely was a very strong reverse snobbery anti-NY attitude.
We were OOTERS and we were very proud of how we were infinitely smarter, better-rounded, better educated, more open minded, and had nicer middos than all those intowners who think they're so great.

Same.

amother
Mayflower

Post Fri, Dec 01 2023, 10:31 am
Cold cuts, deli, deli meat, lunch meat, etc etc. Theres lots of different terms for the same thing.

The term deli comes from Americans shortening the name delicatessan to deli. And delis typically sold cold cut sandwiches, so it came to be called deli meat. Then the deli meat was shortened to deli, the same way everything is shortened..

Theres no right or wrong answer and it has nothing to do with frum, OOT, or regions. Some people just call it different things based on what theyre used to or prefer or whatevers easier, who knows. This doesnt need to be the whole argument everyones turning it into.

Amarante

Post Fri, Dec 01 2023, 10:40 am
Soda or Pop?

Frappe or Milk Shake?

Subs, Hoagies or Heros?

Sprinkles or Jimmies?

Jelly Doughnut or Bismarck?

Lollipop or Sucker?

Pancakes, Hot Cakes or Flap Jacks?

amother
Pewter

Post Fri, Dec 01 2023, 12:14 pm
amother Mayflower wrote:
Cold cuts, deli, deli meat, lunch meat, etc etc. Theres lots of different terms for the same thing.

The term deli comes from Americans shortening the name delicatessan to deli. And delis typically sold cold cut sandwiches, so it came to be called deli meat. Then the deli meat was shortened to deli, the same way everything is shortened..

Theres no right or wrong answer and it has nothing to do with frum, OOT, or regions. Some people just call it different things based on what theyre used to or prefer or whatevers easier, who knows. This doesnt need to be the whole argument everyones turning it into.

Yes exactly. OP heard some people from "in town- lol" calling it deli so she decided it's across the board there. And even when every single post here says its not that way she just repeats herself in different words. These kind of threads are annoying when ops ignore every single bingle post.

There are so many words that can be called different things-
How do you say this- ground beef/chopped beef/chopped meat? I say ground beef. If you don't say it my way you must be from ____ and are ______ type of person and _____ type of Jewish.

glamourmom

Post Fri, Dec 01 2023, 12:31 pm
In town and we say cold cuts. I'm often confused what people mean when they say deli.
to me deli refers to a fast-food shop as in short of delicatessen.

amother
Silver

Post Fri, Dec 01 2023, 12:55 pm
Are we the only ones calling it salami regardless of the type of cold cuts/ deli meat?

amother
Sienna

Post Fri, Dec 01 2023, 1:17 pm
amother Silver wrote:
Are we the only ones calling it salami regardless of the type of cold cuts/ deli meat?

Lol thats just confusing.

amother
Green

Post Fri, Dec 01 2023, 1:20 pm
amother Silver wrote:

Lol probably, yes

#BestBubby

Post Fri, Dec 01 2023, 1:26 pm
amother Silver wrote:

I bet you say pampers for diapers. Am I right?

amother
Watermelon

Post Fri, Dec 01 2023, 2:36 pm
Are we the only one that don’t buy these meats at all? Regardless of how it’s called? We are disgusted by these meats.

amother
Papayawhip

Post Fri, Dec 01 2023, 2:44 pm
amother Silver wrote:

That's like calling all sodas "a coke"
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen