Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Is "deli" for cold cuts / deli meat a frum / in-town thing?
Previous  1  2  3  4

amother
Maple

Post Sat, Dec 02 2023, 1:35 pm
I'm from NJ and we called it "cold cuts" but I would understand what someone meant if they said "deli meat."

amother
NeonYellow

Post Sat, Dec 02 2023, 5:09 pm
Grew up frum OOT, and we always called it deli. I don't think I ever heard "deli meat".
My father may have said cold cuts sometimes, definitely heard it, but I think the majority was deli. Also, if you said just deli, people definitely knew what you were referring to.
As for "lunch meat", I feel like I've only ever heard non-jews use that term. I don't know why, but it makes my stomach turn.

amother
Green

Post Sat, Dec 02 2023, 6:12 pm
amother NeonYellow wrote:
Grew up frum OOT, and we always called it deli. I don't think I ever heard "deli meat".
My father may have said cold cuts sometimes, definitely heard it, but I think the majority was deli. Also, if you said just deli, people definitely knew what you were referring to.
As for "lunch meat", I feel like I've only ever heard non-jews use that term. I don't know why, but it makes my stomach turn.

Exact same. And yes, lunch meat sounds very non Jewish to me

amother
NeonYellow

Post Sat, Dec 02 2023, 6:52 pm
amother Green wrote:
Exact same. And yes, lunch meat sounds very non Jewish to me

Glad I'm not the only one! I was afraid I'd get tomatoes for saying it TMI
I know my husband agrees about lunch meat because we've literally had this discussion before lol

funkyfrummom

Post Sat, Dec 02 2023, 7:11 pm
I call it deli but have lived in Bklyn for 20+ years. Both cold cuts and deli meat sound fine to my ears, but if anything "deli meat" just takes too long to say (New York time).

I didn't read the entire thread... but to me the thing that always sounds very in town (and still sounds weird to my ears) is "appetizing" but as a noun, not an adjective (appetizing = bagel spreads, like whitefish and cream cheese concoctions).

amother
White

Post Mon, Dec 04 2023, 7:11 pm
Where I grew up, in general term we used it was called voosht! (sp? Wurst?)

fmt4

Post Mon, Dec 04 2023, 9:37 pm
Yes, it's a very frum thing to say. No one outside of the Frum community would refer to deli meats or cold cuts as "deli", because deli is a place, not a food. It makes no sense.

I find it hilarious that someone on here thought that delis are called delis because they serve deli 😂.

Wolfsbane

Post Mon, Dec 04 2023, 9:42 pm
fmt4 wrote:
Yes, it's a very frum thing to say. No one outside of the Frum community would refer to deli meats or cold cuts as "deli", because deli is a place, not a food. It makes no sense.

I find it hilarious that someone on here thought that delis are called delis because they serve deli 😂.

Good thing idiomatic language is always logical and self-understood! I mean, how annoying would it be for ESL folks if it wasn't??

salt

Post Wed, Dec 06 2023, 6:31 am
amother Silver wrote:
Are we the only ones calling it salami regardless of the type of cold cuts/ deli meat?

Are you British?

salt

Post Wed, Dec 06 2023, 6:33 am
amother White wrote:
Where I grew up, in general term we used it was called voosht! (sp? Wurst?)

Gosh that's what my mother called it - haven't heard that word for 35 years - but I think voosht was more thickly cut, like a slice of sausage or something.

amother
Stonewash

Post Wed, Dec 06 2023, 6:43 am
fmt4 wrote:

And the English language has morphed as it always does.
People say expressions or phrases that slowly become the word. Old people always get upset that people "butcher language". In my humble opinion- they do not- it's a beautiful thing the changing of languages to suit the generations.

deli
in American English
(ˈdeli)
NOUN
Word forms: plural delis (ˈdeliz)
informal
1. a delicatessen
2. food typically sold at a delicatessen, as cold cuts, salads, and pickles
Most material © 2005, 1997, 1991 by Penguin Random House LLC. Modified entries © 2019 by Penguin Random House LLC and HarperCollins Publishers Ltd
Word origin
[1960–65; by shortening]
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen