Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries
Tuition for pre 1a non kollel
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 03 2023, 12:38 pm
Husband just left kollel and we are sending to regular Lakewood school next year. Just had tuition meeting and it comes out to around 12000 for the year for one kid. Does this even make sense?? They said pay what we can. Well we have savings since we have been living in tiny appartment for the past 5 years. Husband obviously said ok we can pay full this year. Is this normal?? Do all the schools cost the same?

amother
Gardenia

Post Sun, Dec 03 2023, 12:40 pm
amother OP wrote:
Husband just left kollel and we are sending to regular Lakewood school next year. Just had tuition meeting and it comes out to around 12000 for the year for one kid. Does this even make sense?? They said pay what we can. Well we have savings since we have been living in tiny appartment for the past 5 years. Husband obviously said ok we can pay full this year. Is this normal?? Do all the schools cost the same?

Just because you have savings doesn’t mean you Should pay full.
They asked what we could pay and we said a way lower number, and they said ok

mig100

Post Sun, Dec 03 2023, 12:42 pm
Boys or girls?

mig100

Post Sun, Dec 03 2023, 12:42 pm
That sounds very high

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 03 2023, 12:44 pm
Boys

amother
Sienna

Post Sun, Dec 03 2023, 12:51 pm
what school? that sounds very high. we pay 7

amother
Babyblue

Post Sun, Dec 03 2023, 12:53 pm
Is this including lunch, Sunday busing, summer camp, building fee, dinner obligations etc?

Some schools charge separately, some tell you one lump sum.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 03 2023, 12:56 pm
Including everything bussing lunch also.tiferes yisroel

amother
DarkOrange

Post Sun, Dec 03 2023, 1:00 pm
A few schools raised their tuitions considerably over the past few years. I believe they don't expect everyone to be able to pay that amount, and you can pay tuition closer to what other schools are charging.
If I were you, I wouldn't pay their full tuition this year using savings. It's much harder to ask for a reduction later on. Iyh you'll be able to pay more as your salaries increase.

amother
Turquoise

Post Sun, Dec 03 2023, 1:02 pm
Does this include a building fee? A lot of schools have this as a 1 time charge per family, it can be around $5000. That would then mean tuition on a yearly basis is $7000, which is much closer to what I've heard.

amother
Daphne

Post Sun, Dec 03 2023, 1:13 pm
12K is very much for pre 1A, I think 7K is more standard.

amother
Wheat

Post Sun, Dec 03 2023, 1:14 pm
I send to this school and I don't pay close to that for base tuition. It's possible with all the extras it comes out to that amount. Never added everything together though.
Also where do you live? They charge a lot less for Lakewood bussing then Jackson or toms river.

amother
Babyblue

Post Sun, Dec 03 2023, 1:25 pm
amother Sienna wrote:
what school? that sounds very high. we pay 7

You pay 7k like I do...
But my school then sends out additional bills over the year:

550- lunch
500- dinner obligation (some schools make u pay or raise 1000)
300- summer camp
300- Sunday bus
70- snacks
250- registration

Right there it's now 9k.

Additionally, many schools, instead of having tuition meetings with everyone and listening to everyone ask for a discount, start off with a lower tuition and then write that if you can afford to pay the actual cost of tuition it's another 2 to $3,000 and you can check this box here, or something. So really tuition is 12k...

For schools that start closer to 10, instead of 7-8
& give many breaks, 12k isnt crazy if it's all inclusive.

amother
Dustypink

Post Sun, Dec 03 2023, 1:27 pm
My kids are 8200 each I believe. No discount
Primary is same tuition as the rest of elementary

amother
Topaz

Post Sun, Dec 03 2023, 1:37 pm
Do not drain your savings on tution.

Savings are important, it's not an extra or luxury

amother
Valerian

Post Sun, Dec 03 2023, 2:23 pm
I'm not telling you what to do this year, but just know that whatever you do this year is setting a precedent for the future, and it will be close to impossible to pay less in the future, barring some catastrophic event ch"v. Something to keep in mind.

amother
Topaz

Post Sun, Dec 03 2023, 2:28 pm
amother Valerian wrote:
I'm not telling you what to do this year, but just know that whatever you do this year is setting a precedent for the future, and it will be close to impossible to pay less in the future, barring some catastrophic event ch"v. Something to keep in mind.

This.
My rule when negotiating tution is to get it as low as possible, because whatever it is this year is going to be the starting point for next year.
Tution never goes down, only up (if you're lucky stays the same)

amother
Sienna

Post Sun, Dec 03 2023, 2:31 pm
amother Valerian wrote:

yes this.

amother
Tiffanyblue

Post Sun, Dec 03 2023, 2:36 pm
Get it under 10k. That’s not sustainable.

You should not be dipping into savings for 1 primary tuition!

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 03 2023, 2:38 pm
We made it very clear that next year will need to be less since we have two boys in a row and they were ok with that. Extremely accommodating which makes me more mad that my husband committed
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries