Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Schools for daughter of converts in BP
  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 10 2023, 1:07 pm
My husband is on board with this.
Are there any that are english speaking? I know of bais yaakov of bp and that will be one of the options. However I was told that since my oldest who is a boy goes to a very chassidish cheder (like bobov, skver, etc) there needs to be some sort of balance between the two and other potential future siblings. We're a nice simple family, my husband typical chassidish and I dress pretty basic and simple plain wig. I do switch tights colors in the summer/fall though.
I feel like if I send to the girls version of the cheder which my oldest goes to I definitely will stick out, and I don't want to burden strangers to help with translations from loshon kodesh and yiddish all my daughter's life.
I also want to be involved in my daughter's school activities. Are the bais yaakov schools the best option for us since they are English speaking? What are the differences between the bais yaakov of bp bais yaakov on 18th and any others that I may have missed? Also, what is the process like? Do we reach out to the schools and ask for an application? What happens from there?
My daughter is turning three in the summer, IYH.

If there are any other converts living in BP I am more than happy to connect and make more friends.

amother
Currant

Post Sun, Dec 10 2023, 1:10 pm
It's pretty common in chassidish circles for the boys to go to a more "chassidish" cheder and the girls to go to BY or other more neutral school. I'd say you should send to regular BY. BY 18th avenue used to be smaller and more "modern" (for lack of a better word) though I don't know what it's like todayl.

amother
DarkCyan

Post Sun, Dec 10 2023, 1:12 pm
Gan Yisroel may be a nice medium.

amother
Dandelion

Post Sun, Dec 10 2023, 1:16 pm
Bybp sounds good. They have kids from very chasidish homes and also yeshivish kids. Recently they have become much more strict with who they accept because they want more heimesh chasidish solid type families they don’t want fakers. By 18 ave is def litvish and very hard to get into because they only have one class and mostly the siblings or grandchildren get accepted first then there is very few slots left. Another school you can check is nesivos it’s very frum good school and def Yiddish during Hebrew time but the girls speak in English during recess. What about bnos Chaya Esther or something like that?! It’s on 14&47

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 10 2023, 1:17 pm
Thank you! How does the payment work? You pay a month or once a year? What happens if we're not able to pay? What is the education like for 3,4, and 5 year old girls? As in, what should I expect? And last but not least, it should have been the first question lol, when is registration?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 10 2023, 1:20 pm
amother Dandelion wrote:
Bybp sounds good. They have kids from very chasidish homes and also yeshivish kids. Recently they have become much more strict with who they accept because they want more heimesh chasidish solid type families they don’t want fakers. By 18 ave is def litvish and very hard to get into because they only have one class and mostly the siblings or grandchildren get accepted first then there is very few slots left. Another school you can check is nesivos it’s very frum good school and def Yiddish during Hebrew time but the girls speak in English during recess. What about bnos Chaya Esther or something like that?! It’s on 14&47

What's bnos chaya like?

amother
DarkCyan

Post Sun, Dec 10 2023, 1:44 pm
Apply now for next year.
There's an annual fee that gets broken down into 10 payments from Sep through June.
I don't know any schools that accept without payment. Possibly Shalsheles.

cnc

Post Sun, Dec 10 2023, 2:29 pm
Your child may be eligible for free or subsidized tuition if they are a certain age and eligible for government programs such as head start or day care etc

giftedmom

Post Sun, Dec 10 2023, 2:30 pm
Tomer devorah is English speaking

cnc

Post Sun, Dec 10 2023, 2:30 pm
giftedmom wrote:
Tomer devorah is English speaking

It has not been an English speaking school for quite a while…

amother
Darkblue

Post Sun, Dec 10 2023, 2:33 pm
I'm not chasidish but consult in a lot of girls chasiddish schools and have been super impressed with bnos perel

amother
Oak

Post Sun, Dec 10 2023, 3:48 pm
Gan Yisrael

chili-n-cholent

Post Sun, Dec 10 2023, 4:34 pm
amother Oak wrote:
Gan Yisrael

I agree that Gan Yisroel is a great option.
OP I know who you are from your old posts on imamother and I think Gan Yisroel is a great fit.
They are a very warm and welcoming school with a varied parent body.
The founders Rabbi and Mrs Ginsburg are Lubavitch but the school is neutral chassidish with a lot of english speaking but also Yiddish.
Just so you know application process already started for most schools and you really need to get moving if you want a fair chance at applying.
I would recommend first applying to a bunch of schools and then doing your research once you did all the paperwork. It never hurts.
Other options in BP I can see working: Bais Yaakov of BP, Nesivos (very hard to get in) Bnos Chaya (not such a perfect fit, a bit more chassidish and super super hard to get in)

amother
Smokey

Post Sun, Dec 10 2023, 4:43 pm
amother OP wrote:
Thank you! How does the payment work? You pay a month or once a year? What happens if we're not able to pay? What is the education like for 3,4, and 5 year old girls? As in, what should I expect? And last but not least, it should have been the first question lol, when is registration?

Wow, hatzlacha OP!
Your kids are growing up!
I don't live in Bklyn so can't answer specifics.
I live OOT.
Tuition is divided by 10-12 over the 10 months of school or 12 months of year . (is it not like that in your son's school?)
You should speak to tuition committee once you've been accepted to work it a financial plan. They Will most likely ask what your income is and other such questions (how much you pay the cheder, etc) to decide how much of a break to give you.

call the schools and and ask them when they open registration and to please send you the forms.

in my OOT BY
3Yr is mostly social skills, parsha and YT projects and songs, davening, units on colors/shapes/seasons

4 yr old learn alef bais, direct alef bais name age sound fluency at end of year, parsha and YT projects and songs, davening, units on seasons/ family vocab/numbers, etc

5 yr old learn nekudos and by the end of the year, are able to read lashon hakodesh, but May not have learned all the shva rules for kriyah. Siddur party at end of the year
Learn ABCs and some sight words. Can read CVC words.
Number sense, recognizing numbers, a little adding/subtracting, probably with5
parsha and YT projects and songs, davening, etc

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 10 2023, 4:49 pm
Thank you all for your help. I'm going to try for these schools. I should go in person or they have an email or phone?

amother
Rose

Post Sun, Dec 10 2023, 5:03 pm
They all have phone numbers but some want you to come in person to get the application.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 10 2023, 5:27 pm
Until what time the school offices are open? I finish work at 3.

Einikel

Post Sun, Dec 10 2023, 5:28 pm
First call them then they'll tell you next steps

Last edited by Einikel on Sun, Dec 10 2023, 5:47 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Oxfordblue

Post Sun, Dec 10 2023, 5:44 pm
BY of BP has 3k, upk, which are programs for age 3-5 not income based. If you don’t use transportation and do early dismissal 2:30, it will cost you very little to nothing.
Pre1a and up is full tuition.

amother
Oxfordblue

Post Sun, Dec 10 2023, 5:46 pm
If cost of tuition is overwhelming, look into applying for vouchers. This can cover a huge part of tuition schools in BP should be able to direct you
Page 1 of 6   1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics