Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels
Is avodah zara hair still an issue with shaitels?

amother
OP

Post Sat, Dec 16 2023, 11:39 pm
I keep hearing that people are buying wigs off ali or through someone who sells ali wigs(I think the name is Malky wigs but not certain). I have reservations about this because I remember as a child there was a huge bombshell news that hair for shaitels was coming from hair cut for avodah zara. Since then I thought all wigs needed some kind of "hechsher".
Anyone know if this is still the case or nowadays one can buy a wig off ali?
I would love some clarification.

Thisisnotmyreal

Post Sat, Dec 16 2023, 11:46 pm
My Rav said it never was.

amother
Whitewash

Post Sat, Dec 16 2023, 11:46 pm
No
It’s not a thing
Hair doesn’t need certification

Tanya1234

Post Thu, Jan 11 2024, 12:25 pm
My rav said I should only wear with a hechsher.

amother
Mauve

Post Thu, Jan 11 2024, 1:22 pm
I knew it was an issue all the time. 25 years ago when I got married I made sure not to get wigs from India. (and even then not everyone agrees that it's an issue) I only got European hair.

amother
Turquoise

Post Thu, Jan 11 2024, 1:43 pm
Without "shmura mish'as ketzira"* it's almost impossible to know what hair you're getting. DD was in the market recently & the Rov where they daven suggested to try to get synthetic. However he's not their posek & SIL asked around, it seems most rabbonim are not concerned.

Bottom line follow your posek.

(From extensive reading on the hair industry, I strongly suspect that whole hooha was motivated by an anti-sheitel agenda. And I say this as s/o who gave up sheitels for my own reasons.)

*supervision from the time of cutting, borrowed from Shmura Matza

AllThings

Post Thu, Jan 11 2024, 3:02 pm
Actually, based on a kuntress (in English) that my husband recently brought home from someone selling in yeshiva, it seems to be a lot more questionable than people think. Worth doing a bit more research and probably asking a shaaleh from a rav who knows the topic (not just someone saying over from someone etc)

amother
Tiffanyblue

Post Thu, Jan 11 2024, 3:10 pm
Yes. I don’t know anything about the wig industry or where people get hair from and if it’s supervised in any way from a halachic perspective , but technically speaking there are people who cut their hair as a worship to their g-ds and it is absolutely be considered avoda zara

amother
Trillium

Post Thu, Jan 11 2024, 7:41 pm
amother Turquoise wrote:

(From extensive reading on the hair industry, I strongly suspect that whole hooha was motivated by an anti-sheitel agenda. And I say this as s/o who gave up sheitels for my own reasons.)

Why do you think so?

amother
Turquoise

Post Thu, Jan 11 2024, 7:48 pm
Yet many (including some geirim from India who speak the language) understood that the women believe they are sacrificing their beauty
The hair industry just takes advantage of that.

mommy1000

Post Thu, Jan 11 2024, 9:00 pm
Per my rav, it was never an issue to begin with.

amother
Turquoise

Post Thu, Jan 11 2024, 9:21 pm
amother Trillium wrote:
Why do you think so?

Because I'm a cynic? Based on seeing how various people lined up then.

My personal opinion is that long, natural-looking shaitels can be (and usually are) quite provocative. And I wish there was a kind, gentle way to persuade women to understand this.

However, I'm also very opposed to religious coercion and manipulation. Which is what the anti-Indian hair lobby feels like to me.

(I would say this under my screen name but I have some dear relatives with long wigs)

amother
Yarrow

Post Fri, Jan 12 2024, 12:26 am
amother Mauve wrote:
I knew it was an issue all the time. 25 years ago when I got married I made sure not to get wigs from India. (and even then not everyone agrees that it's an issue) I only got European hair.

It's very unlikely that you are actually getting European hair unless you're paying a fortune.

amother
Seafoam

Post Tue, Jan 30 2024, 5:19 pm
I know a reliable person who thoroughly investigated this issue by actually going to India and observing the process. The women who sell their hair are living in poverty and need the money to survive. It is not for avodas zoroh. The Indian people actually consider their hair to be unholy, thus they will not “sacrifice “ to the a”z.

amother
Hosta

Post Tue, Jan 30 2024, 5:37 pm
I saw on Instagram how Indian women who wanted something would sacrifice their hair to some avoda Zara as a "zchus". Then the people in charge sell it.

amother
Sapphire

Post Tue, Jan 30 2024, 5:56 pm
Years ago it was a thing for a short time. It came out ultimately and soon after that it was nothing to worry about according to big poskim. This was in the early 2000s.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels