Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking
Tofu

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 17 2023, 4:46 pm
What can I do to hide the taste?

lovecouches

Post Sun, Dec 17 2023, 5:08 pm
Tofu doesn't have such a strong taste. I feel like it more takes on the taste of the spices or sauce you use.
I usually do a soy sauce based stir fry with it and it's really good.

amother
Daylily

Post Sun, Dec 17 2023, 5:57 pm
Slice and marinate it in soy sauce brown sugar garlic mix of oil and sesame oil and a pinch of salt to absorb new flavors.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 17 2023, 6:14 pm
Any ideas without soy sauce?

amother
Daylily

Post Sun, Dec 17 2023, 6:23 pm
amother OP wrote:
Any ideas without soy sauce?

Use your favorite marinade.

amother
Tealblue

Post Sun, Dec 17 2023, 6:30 pm
I think you can kind of do anything with tofu that you'd do with chicken, sweet, savory etc. Can cube or slice & marinade in anything, roast, add to salads.

If you Google you can learn to dry out (involves squeezing btwn towel), coating with starch to cook more authentically.
I usually don't bother with that, because I like tofu as is, & so I might season, adds spices, add anything, how about maybe maple syrup & Dijon mustard, or salad dressing, & bake

Amarante

Post Tue, Dec 19 2023, 2:41 pm
Here's a novel use of tofu - and there is a good chance that anyone picky won't suspect the ingredients

MAKEOVER MEATLESS LASAGNA

Excerpt From: Taste of Home. “Taste of Home What Can I Bring?: 175 Dishes Ideal for Parties, Picnics & Potlucks

If you have never tried tofu before, go for it with this recipe. The tofu blends in with all the other ingredients, adding protein without the fat and calories of ground beef or sausage.
—Mary Lou Moeller, Wooster, OH

PREP: 30 min. • BAKE: 45 min. + standing • MAKES: 12 servings

10 uncooked whole wheat lasagna noodles
1 ½ cups sliced fresh mushrooms
¼ cup chopped onion
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 can (14 ½ oz.) Italian diced tomatoes, undrained
1 can (12 oz.) tomato paste
1 pkg. (14 oz.) firm tofu, drained and cubed
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
3 cups 2% cottage cheese
½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
½ cup packed fresh parsley leaves
½ tsp. pepper
2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided

1. Preheat oven to 375°. Cook noodles according to the package directions for al dente. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, cook mushrooms and onion over medium heat until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute. Add tomatoes and tomato paste; cook and stir until heated through.

2. Pulse the tofu in a food processor until smooth. Add next 5 ingredients; pulse until combined. Drain noodles.

3. Place 5 lasagna noodles into a 13x9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray, overlapping as needed. Layer with half the tofu mixture, half the sauce and half the mozzarella. Top with remaining noodles, tofu mixture and sauce.

4. Bake, covered, 35 minutes. Sprinkle with the remaining mozzarella. Bake, uncovered, until the cheese is melted, 10-15 minutes. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.

1 piece: 258 cal., 9g fat (4g sat. fat), 48mg chol., 498mg sod., 26g carb. (9g sugars, 3g fiber), 19g pro. Diabetic exchanges: 2 medium-fat meat, 1 ½ starch.

TEST KITCHEN TIP

There are many types of tofu on the market so you’ll want to make sure to pick up one marked firm and not soft.

juggling

Post Tue, Dec 19 2023, 2:43 pm
I like the blog itdoesnttastelikechicken for lots of great and varied tofu recipes.

nw11

Post Tue, Dec 19 2023, 2:57 pm
Try making a marinade with fresh or frozen basil, mustard, oil, vinegar of your choice(I love red wine) and spices. Then, bake or fry. Addictive!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking