Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping -> Child & Baby Products
Is a bunk bed safe?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 17 2023, 8:09 pm
I have a bunk bed but never use the top, im afraid its not safe and could break down.

amother
Maroon

Post Sun, Dec 17 2023, 8:10 pm
A bunk bed that was built properly and treated properly won't collapse.

amother
Fern

Post Sun, Dec 17 2023, 8:10 pm
Yea very safe. Never heard of any breaking down. The only issue is if kids decide to jump off. I’d only allow responsible kids that follow rules.

zaq

Post Sun, Dec 17 2023, 8:26 pm
For whom? An adult? A three-year old?

No child under age six should sleep on a top bunk because of the danger of rolling towards the wall, the body slipping down between the bed and the wall and the head getting caught.

As for the sturdiness of the bed, that will vary the way any piece of furniture will vary. You get what you pay for, or rather, you don't get what you don't pay for. Avpid tubular metal bunk beds; they have a history of collapsing. How is the top mattress supported? Some beds have just two or three crossbars supporting the mattress while others have many more. More is better. Are the crossbars firmly attached to the frame or are they just resting on the side bars. and not attached?

Then there is the question of the behavior of the occupant of the bottom bed. Will that individual push his/her legs up against the top mattress? A strong enough push can dislodge the mattress and flip the occupant over the edge.

Is the frame sturdy overall? Are corners dovetailed or firmly bolted, or is the whole thing loosely nailed together? How deeply are the nails embedded in the wood? If the frame is metal, is it just spot-welded here and there or bolted together? Are the bolts tight? The rules for spotting quality furniture apply to bunk beds, too.

Go to the Consumer Product Safety Commission website www.cpsc.gov for more info.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 17 2023, 8:32 pm
The bed is wood, the top mattress is supported by a bunch of wood pieces running across the bed. Its for kids

amother
Bottlebrush

Post Sun, Dec 17 2023, 8:32 pm
Here in Israel it's extremely common for people to use them.

amother
Black

Post Sun, Dec 17 2023, 8:35 pm
amother OP wrote:
The bed is wood, the top mattress is supported by a bunch of wood pieces running across the bed. Its for kids

If you bought it at a reputable place, it should be sturdy and strong. My parents have bunk beds that are 30 years old & still standing strong.

amother
Lightpink

Post Sun, Dec 17 2023, 11:38 pm
Ours are 29 or 30
years old, solid wood, and being used by a second generation of kids. Different mattresses, though!

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 17 2023, 11:41 pm
Thank you people. Can anyone link a good mattress for the beds? Or should I open a new thread for this...

amother
Scarlet

Post Mon, Dec 18 2023, 12:31 am
They're strong but be careful around little kids, I know of babies and toddlers with broken arms from jumping/falling off the top bunk when left unattended for a very short amount of time...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics