Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
Therapy for ADHD

amother
OP

Post Tue, Dec 19 2023, 10:24 am
My son has ADHD and anxiety. He has a hard time looking inside. He tells me that it's boring and he told me the reason he can read at home is because he can move around while reading. He gets hyper and will fight with siblings out of boredom.

How can therapy help him? Have you found it helpful for ADHD kid? I personally have had mostly negative experiences with therapy especially clinics. Can't afford to pay private.

Thanks.

amother
Bluebell

Post Tue, Dec 19 2023, 10:32 am
If you mean psychotherapy—- I am finding therapy for my son with adhd to be of minimal value. I think I’d be better off with ot or something with more movement. Talk therapy isn’t helping other than in dealing with his frustrations that school is difficult. It doesn’t “fix” or address his adhd symptoms
I would love to hear of somebody has a diff experience

oneofakind

Post Tue, Dec 19 2023, 10:39 am
Medication will help with focusing and anxiety.Therapy helps with self esteem, social issues and some anxiety which comes along with ADHD.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Dec 19 2023, 12:27 pm
amother Bluebell wrote:
If you mean psychotherapy—- I am finding therapy for my son with adhd to be of minimal value. I think I’d be better off with ot or something with more movement. Talk therapy isn’t helping other than in dealing with his frustrations that school is difficult. It doesn’t “fix” or address his adhd symptoms
I would love to hear of somebody has a diff experience

On another thread someone wrote that medication is a bandaid and what they really need is to learn skills in therapy. I have heard this a few times so I thought I would ask...

mha3484

Post Tue, Dec 19 2023, 12:29 pm
We do practical skill based therapy and it makes a huge difference. But pre meds it did very little. Once we medicated my boys they could finally internalize what they are learning.

LovesHashem

Post Tue, Dec 19 2023, 12:30 pm
An ADHD coach that's skill based might be a better option.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Dec 19 2023, 12:31 pm
LovesHashem wrote:
An ADHD coach that's skill based might be a better option.

How do you find someone like that?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Dec 19 2023, 12:31 pm
mha3484 wrote:
We do practical skill based therapy and it makes a huge difference. But pre meds it did very little. Once we medicated my boys they could finally internalize what they are learning.

So a therapist that specializes in ADHD skills?

mha3484

Post Tue, Dec 19 2023, 12:37 pm
My sons see a therapist who specializes in boys in the yeshiva system. He sees a lot of ADHD plus other issues. But he really gets how boys work and what's regular behavior and what's not.

My oldest who saw him the longest had a lot of issues with impulse control and very poor social skills. When he was younger, they did a lot exercises to teach him to better control himself, they role played a lot of social skills he was lacking. They did a program called social thinking that was really really helpful. But before we medicated him, it was in one ear out the other. So it has to go together.

LovesHashem

Post Tue, Dec 19 2023, 4:10 pm
amother OP wrote:
How do you find someone like that?

Ask around locally for reccomendations.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)