Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus
How can I not make too much chulent?

frumshopper

Post Wed, Dec 20 2023, 10:48 pm
I'm terrible at figuring out how much cholent to make and which size crock pot to use (I have a round one, maybe 5 qt?? And a larger oval one, maybe 7-8 qt??).

Any hints on roughly how much to expect people to eat for shabbat lunch when there will also be chicken, salad, and sides. Like for 6 people vs having 10-12 or more people??

Thank you!

ra_mom

Post Wed, Dec 20 2023, 11:48 pm
For 6 people the 5 quart is good. 1 cup beans, 1/2 cup barley, plus all the additions and lots of liquid.

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Dec 21 2023, 7:39 pm
you could freeze half

Ceeem

Post Thu, Dec 21 2023, 7:41 pm
I do about one potato a person plus an extra. Then everything else is relative to the potatoes.

theoneandonly

Post Thu, Dec 21 2023, 7:46 pm
Ceeem wrote:
I do about one potato a person plus an extra. Then everything else is relative to the potatoes.

That's a lot of potatoes.

Olive

Post Thu, Dec 21 2023, 8:29 pm
I don't mind too much cholent at all. It's cheap & better extra than not enough.

MiracleMama

Post Thu, Dec 21 2023, 9:02 pm
Good luck. I've given up. I find it impossible to make a small cholent despite my best efforts. If I don't have guests I just don't bother. I'm tired of cooking for the garbage can.

shira leah

Post Thu, Dec 21 2023, 10:27 pm
Let's just say I never ever had my cholent completely finished. (Not for lack of tastiness)

I have a family of 4, use a tiny 2 quart crock pot and always have leftovers.

zaq

Post Fri, Dec 22 2023, 12:30 am
Miracle Mama, just use a smaller pot to measure the ingredients, then transfer to the crock pot if you're using one. I make my cholent on the stovetop, and the one time I made a cholent just the right size, I used my smallest saucepan, which is about 1 quart. We cook as well as eat with our eyes, so if you use a big vessel, you WILL fill it up.

Fancy Fact: Americans are used to using big measures and have a hard time with small ones. So certain products that could be made highly concentrated and measured in tiny increments are deliberately diluted with other ingredients like starch or puffed up with air so that they can be measured out in larger volumes. Of course pills are made that way, since no ordinary consumer has the equipment or the patience to weigh out 25 milligrams of a drug, but also products like iced tea mix.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus