Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Do you put a mirror in a boys bedroom?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Dec 21 2023, 11:51 am
I am decorating my son’s room and I instinctively thought of a mirror. Then I realized that I don’t know if I’ve ever seen a mirror in a boys bedroom. Is it considered feminine? I have no experience with brothers.

Please share you opinion.

amother
Mintgreen

Post Thu, Dec 21 2023, 11:55 am
I put in my boys room on the inside of the closet door. They use mirror to make their tie. I would not hang a decorative one on his wall

Blessing1

Post Thu, Dec 21 2023, 11:55 am
amother Mintgreen wrote:
I put in my boys room on the inside of the closet door. They use mirror to make their tie. I would not hang a decorative one on his wall

Same here. Inside the closet door.

watermelon

Post Thu, Dec 21 2023, 12:10 pm
I have one in my boys room. I don’t see why not.

amother
Lemonchiffon

Post Thu, Dec 21 2023, 1:04 pm
Boys have to look respectable and put together too.

amother
Amber

Post Thu, Dec 21 2023, 1:11 pm
I didn't hang one in the bedroom, but only because space is limited by windows, a built in, and other furniture. There is one in his bathroom just a few steps away. However, I have no issues. Mirrors are handy for either gender. Need to check for spinach in the teeth, cowlicks, properly washed face, and even shaving.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Thu, Dec 21 2023, 4:58 pm
Their closet wasn't built-in and the door was too flimsy to safely support a mirror. I didn't want one on the wall because I was afraid they'd throw a baseball at it or crash into it when wrestling. When they got older and were no longer using their room as a gym-come-battleground, I installed a full-length mirror on the wall. They have to make sure they look neat and respectable, too.

amother
Mulberry

Post Thu, Dec 21 2023, 5:05 pm
There's this thing taught in some circles about boys not looking in the mirror as a precaution not to be vain. I'm not sure where this originated from, I just heard it a lot growing up. However, being that it doesn't have an origin I don't see why a mirror in a boys room would be an issue.

amother
Vanilla

Post Thu, Dec 21 2023, 5:19 pm
amother Lawngreen wrote:
Their closet wasn't built-in and the door was too flimsy to safely support a mirror. I didn't want one on the wall because I was afraid they'd throw a baseball at it or crash into it when wrestling. When they got older and were no longer using their room as a gym-come-battleground, I installed a full-length mirror on the wall. They have to make sure they look neat and respectable, too.

This.
I don't see how a mirror could survive the war called boys!

essie14

Post Fri, Dec 22 2023, 3:35 am
A mirror is feminine?
Why do you need brothers for this? Does your husband never look in a mirror?
Every person in my house has a mirror. Everyone has hair and clothing and teeth that they need to look at.
I've never heard of not giving boys a mirror in their room.
How else do you teach them to dress neatly?

BadTichelDay

Post Fri, Dec 22 2023, 5:08 am
amother Mulberry wrote:
There's this thing taught in some circles about boys not looking in the mirror as a precaution not to be vain. I'm not sure where this originated from, I just heard it a lot growing up. However, being that it doesn't have an origin I don't see why a mirror in a boys room would be an issue.

I've heard that thrown around, that men shouldn't own mirrors and avoid looking in them. Being DL, I always thought this is a chareidi standard thing. We had a neighbor who held like this, and I've occasionally seen appartments and bathrooms with absolutely no mirrors.

Elfrida

Post Fri, Dec 22 2023, 7:12 am
BadTichelDay wrote:
I've heard that thrown around, that men shouldn't own mirrors and avoid looking in them. Being DL, I always thought this is a chareidi standard thing. We had a neighbor who held like this, and I've occasionally seen appartments and bathrooms with absolutely no mirrors.

It's not necessarily chareidi. Between us, my sisters and I cover a fairly broad ground of religious affiliations. None of us had mirrors in the house. And none of us even noticed, until my mother was visiting, and complained about it. None of us are interested in make up, and we generally just look down to make sure our clothes are OK. It just didn't occur to us to spend money or house space on mirrors!

amother
Natural

Post Fri, Dec 22 2023, 8:08 am
No. There’s a bathroom right near their room and they use the vanity mirror there.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Dec 22 2023, 10:32 am
essie14 wrote:
A mirror is feminine?
Why do you need brothers for this? Does your husband never look in a mirror?
Every person in my house has a mirror. Everyone has hair and clothing and teeth that they need to look at.
I've never heard of not giving boys a mirror in their room.
How else do you teach them to dress neatly?

I’m talking about the LOOK of a mirror in a boys room. I couldn’t decide if it’s a feminine design piece.

Hiding it on closet door is a good option. Or just getting something simple in an inconspicuous spot would also work.

Side note, I googled boys mirrors and found some interesting ones LOL - Spider-Man shaped, soccer ball shaped and even eyeglasses shaped mirrors.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Dec 22 2023, 10:32 am
Thank you everyone for the input.

amother
Blush

Post Fri, Dec 22 2023, 11:11 am
Elfrida wrote:
It's not necessarily chareidi. Between us, my sisters and I cover a fairly broad ground of religious affiliations. None of us had mirrors in the house. And none of us even noticed, until my mother was visiting, and complained about it. None of us are interested in make up, and we generally just look down to make sure our clothes are OK. It just didn't occur to us to spend money or house space on mirrors!

You have no mirror in the house?? Like even in the bathroom. I find that fascinating.

nicole81

Post Fri, Dec 22 2023, 11:19 am
My boy's room didn't have a mirror when we bought the house and he asked for one. He's only 5 and he cares how he looks!

NechaMom

Post Fri, Dec 22 2023, 11:39 am
Elfrida wrote:

How do girls style hair without a mirror? Even the simplest hairstyle needs a mirror.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Dec 22 2023, 11:42 am
Elfrida wrote:

How did you even know how you looked?

mommyhood

Post Fri, Dec 22 2023, 11:50 am
amother OP wrote:
I’m talking about the LOOK of a mirror in a boys room. I couldn’t decide if it’s a feminine design piece.

Hiding it on closet door is a good option. Or just getting something simple in an inconspicuous spot would also work.

Side note, I googled boys mirrors and found some interesting ones LOL - Spider-Man shaped, soccer ball shaped and even eyeglasses shaped mirrors.

I don’t think it will look weird at all. For us right now it’s not necessary I don’t think any of my boys checks a mirror for their hair or clothing, shaving is anyways in the bathroom and they look fine and as others said I’m afraid it will break. We moved in when my kids were little now that they’re a little older If I was doing construction I would put in mirrors in the new rooms in anticipation that the room won’t be a boys room forever and whoever else might stay there will want one in private.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics