Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
S/O Trepid Series

amother
OP

Post Thu, Dec 21 2023, 9:30 pm
Starting a spinoff to not hijack that other thread, can anyone tell me a little bit about these books? Saw it at the seforim store, looks exciting but trying to see if it's something I'd enjoy. I'm a bit of a "literary snob" especially when it comes to frum fiction. I don't usually invest in such books, but this does look like something new and not typical. Just wondering if those who read it can tell me what they thought. TYIA!

amother
DarkGreen

Post Fri, Dec 22 2023, 12:25 pm
amother OP wrote:
Starting a spinoff to not hijack that other thread, can anyone tell me a little bit about these books? Saw it at the seforim store, looks exciting but trying to see if it's something I'd enjoy. I'm a bit of a "literary snob" especially when it comes to frum fiction. I don't usually invest in such books, but this does look like something new and not typical. Just wondering if those who read it can tell me what they thought. TYIA!

Following

amother
Ghostwhite

Post Fri, Dec 22 2023, 1:29 pm
I tead the first two as a beta reader and really enjoyed.
Basically in this made up country they constantly fight with a different country. The crown prince whos a young boy allegedly has a super weapon (this is science fiction) and the other country wants it.
Lots of war, escape, suspense.
I dont like science fiction but it was so good and different from the typical book so it was good!

amother
OP

Post Thu, Dec 28 2023, 12:29 pm
So I actually read book 1 this past shabbos. Wow. Definitely not what I was expecting. I knew it was something not typical, I could tell from the cover, but I was expecting more of an action flick geared towards younger boys. While there is definitely lots of thrilling action, the action is more of a backdrop against a story that is rich and deep. But the part that got me really hooked was these characters! I literally feel like I just made a whole group of new friends. Each of their personalities are so multi-faceted, their characters so fleshed out, and they are just so REAL. It is such a breath of fresh air!

I want to read the second one, I'm wondering if it's as good as the first.

Anyone know when the last installment is coming out?

amother
Orchid

Post Mon, Jan 08 2024, 6:29 pm
I just read the first 2 books over this week. I also consider myself a literature snob, and I have to admit that I'm overall really impressed.

This is NOT my typical genre- I only read them out of desperation for Anything at all new to read. While I still can't say I like blood, gore, or science fiction, there was something about these books that kept me reading- even, to the point that I re-read parts of part 2 again when I finished.

There are underlying human themes here that tug at you, and while I can point out parts that I snorted at, overall, the author (and editors) did a really great job here.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 08 2024, 9:03 pm
Thanks for the feedback! You’ve reminded me how much I loved it. I think I’ll get the second book for this Shabbos.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room